• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I don't remember ever breaking, or wearing out a chain when I was a kid.
    Single speed or derailleurs on your bike as a kid? Single speed chains are slightly larger and having the chain run in a straight(er) line significantly reduces wear. In the pro ranks for time-trials they will run massive front chain rings so at their anticipated speed the chain is going straight back and not slightly off the the side.

Also, the taller teeth on a single speed is more tolerant of wear than the shorter teeth of a derailleured bike.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
    Target Sports

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Single speed or derailleurs on your bike as a kid? Single speed chains are slightly larger and having the chain run in a straight(er) line significantly reduces wear. In the pro ranks for time-trials they will run massive front chain rings so at their anticipated speed the chain is going straight back and not slightly off the the side.

Also, the taller teeth on a single speed is more tolerant of wear than the shorter teeth of a derailleured bike.

Never thought about the physics of it. Thanks!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Both.
    Single speed as a youngster, then derailleurs as I got older.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    FB79D305-5311-458B-A6B6-0DE7EB03620D.jpeg
    Got 16 in between bands of rain again this morning

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    After a week of no rides( commuting from Buda to College Station last week end taking care of dogs while Mrs. Hoji went to see her dad in PA)
    I knocked out 20 this morning.
    Went tubeless on rear tire( broke some more spokes on other rear rim and decided to do an upgrade) and put street tires on. When I hit my “mall track” I will be able to tell if I am gaining anything out of them.
    D86AFE12-37C5-4223-BAE3-FE26A351B7D4.jpeg

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    After a week of no rides( commuting from Buda to College Station last week end taking care of dogs while Mrs. Hoji went to see her dad in PA)
    I knocked out 20 this morning.
    Went tubeless on rear tire( broke some more spokes on other rear rim and decided to do an upgrade) and put street tires on. When I hit my “mall track” I will be able to tell if I am gaining anything out of them. View attachment 229380
    Tubeless is worth every penny.
    It isn't no maintenance, but if reasonably maintained is pretty much flat free.

I generally only carry a CO2 inflator and a few CO2s. No patches, no tubes...

I actually hot out this weekend too, first ride in several months. About 10mi of single track and a good bit of road.
    45eefe78edb1befb112a510c79e14178.jpg

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    You guys are making me feel guilty for not taking advantage of this fall weather!!
    MAYBE I can ride tomorrow before giving blood...won't try it after without 48 hrs to replenish.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Have you been riding on knobbies this whole time?

I run the WTB 2.2 slick on my 29er, I really like them, at about 850 miles and no issues. (Internet photo)
    1f450f5aeac96ebcedba082eeff60e63.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep. Tires that came with the bike. Liking the street tires a lot.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Well some of us worked out while others just worked. It’s kind of interesting what I’m learning. At 58 I’ve lead a full and active life but parts of my body are not right. I’ve found that I can push too much and then I miss days recovering or I can go at a moderate rate and workout every day. While I crave to increase the intensity, pain (not soreness) is shutting the intensity down. 30 min on treadmill @ 3.5 MPH - 10 min on exercise bike while working light weights with arms to keep heart rate up - 4 min upside down on the Teeter (my back feels amazing!!!)
    IMG_6588.PNG
    IMG_6587.PNG

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Got a second ride in yesterday and a short ride in this morning. Had to go to a subcontractor appreciation dinner so I got half of my daily miles in yesterday afternoon.
    BB386DD1-390A-43DA-BFF6-C381AAE795AA.jpeg
    21FDEC85-8FDC-4DF2-BA3F-392865D91C6B.jpeg

And the other half this morning.
    C2EF9365-D51F-4C4D-BC15-9A2A37F560DA.jpeg

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Hey off the wall question, is Blue moon BBQ still in business out on OSR? Man when we were working around Normangee we ate there a lot! Was very good.

Top Bottom