• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Just came across this....

Housing market drives property tax increase in Montgomery County - Community Impact Newspaper

"Property owners over the age of 65 and disabled veterans can qualify for tax exemptions. If a property owner qualifies for a homestead exemption, the property tax increases can be capped at 10 percent, which would grant an average homeowner the ability to pay taxes on their home as if it was worth $15,000 less, Castleschouldt said"

I am unsure if this only goes for those over 65, or everybody...

By Texas State law, the property tax exemption for disabled Vets under 65 is from $5k to $12k, according to disability rating, minnimum being 10% disability.

A disabled Vet over 65 gets the full monte $12k.

Lots of Vets miss out on this because they are not aware of it.
    Hurley's Gold

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    This issue was front-center on the SA Express news today. My appraisal went up 26% over last year. Cam's 10% cap statement is correct. Although the value can increase more than 10%, they can't hit you any harder than 10% on your homestead in one year.

Mine went up ~16%...

Sparsky

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    San Antonio
    This issue was front-center on the SA Express news today. My appraisal went up 26% over last year. Cam's 10% cap statement is correct. Although the value can increase more than 10%, they can't hit you any harder than 10% on your homestead in one year.

Talking with my neighbors I'm not the only one, but I was hit the hardest because my home was undervalued to begin with. I did hit the 10% cap so I get to expect another raise next year automatically. <sigh>

Thanks for all your input, it did help me look into it enough to find out I can't do anything and prepare for more butt hurt next year.:facepalm:

lol

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    I've had great luck getting them to reduce the value by protesting. I have yet to go before the appraisal board and have resolved everything with an appraiser informally. they seem to lower your value just for showing up IMO. I think they like to raise everything and see who appeals and what sticks... take lots of pics of everything wrong with the house/property. roof is in poor repair, floors unlevel, window frames bad etc. they will assign a percentage reduction based upon this. you can also repair them and they will never know and the reduction may stay in force for several years if your lucky. if your really wanting to fight them spend the money for a professional appraisal, they will consider that but beware they may uphold the appraised value and you'll be our the cost of their service as you don't want to take that before them when your looking to lower the value

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Is anyone aware of the homestead tax exception? I don't know anything about it myself, but I just saw that someone in my neighborhood posted about it for for Bexar.

Never heard of a "homestead tax exception", but in Texas there is an ongoing Homestead Exemption available to homeowners on their primary residence, but you must apply for it. Done on a county by county basis.

If that is what you are referencing, claiming that particular exemption will certainly save you money. It's free.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Yes, go to the tax assesor collectors office and apply. Only takes a few minutes and the savings can be good. If you own a mobile home, you may need the title. Take your tax statement with you too.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Here's the real deal (I have been doing this in Bexar County for 17 years).

1. Upon receipt of the appraisal, immediately file a protest by fax (protest form is on the back page of the appraisal).

2. Check all the blocks for the protest (even if they don't apply).

3. Prepare a photographic portfolio of your property. Be sure to photograph every defect -- bulges in dry wall, cracks in drywall, cracks in windows and brickwork, rain stains, pet stains, backed up drains -- every thing you can find.

4. Go to the informal hearing with an appraiser. Tell the appraiser the value of your property is far less than assessed because of the defects. Now, the appraiser is on the defensive, because he appraised your property at 100% of market value, which it is not.

5. Nine times out of ten, the appraiser will cut your appraisal to the same level as the last appraisal. (At the height of the Housing Bubble, I convinced the appraiser that my property was even worth less, and he agreed).

6. If the appraiser rejects your appeal -- file for a formal hearing.

7. At the formal hearing, provide the exact same evidence you gave at the informal hearing.

8. Every thing is given under oath, so be truthful.

9. Most boards will consider your informal protest when you get to the formal protest stage.

10. With clear evidence (photographs), the formal board has always overturned the appraiser's decision.

11. Play the "Italian Trick." Don't fix defects unless they put your family at risk. You can re-cycle the same defects year after year. This works if you don't wan't to sell your home.

12. I am not a lawyer, and you take this advice at your own risk.

Last edited:

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Here's the real deal (I have been doing this in Bexar County for 17 years).

1. Upon receipt of the appraisal, immediately file a protest by fax (protest form is on the back page of the appraisal).

2. Check all the blocks for the protest (even if they don't apply).

3. Prepare a photographic portfolio of your property. Be sure to photograph every defect -- bulges in dry wall, cracks in drywall, cracks in windows and brickwork, rain stains, pet stains, backed up drains -- every thing you can find.

4. Go to the informal hearing with an appraiser. Tell the appraiser the value of your property is far less than assessed because of the defects. Now, the appraiser is on the defensive, because he appraised your property at 100% of market value, which it is not.

5. Nine times out of ten, the appraiser will cut your appraisal to the same level as the last appraisal. (At the height of the Housing Bubble, I convinced the appraiser that my property was even worth less, and he agreed).

6. If the appraiser rejects your appeal -- file for a formal hearing.

7. At the formal hearing, provide the exact same evidence you gave at the informal hearing.

8. Every thing is given under oath, so be truthful.

9. Most boards will consider your informal protest when you get to the formal protest stage.

10. With clear evidence (photographs), the formal board has always overturned the appraiser's decision.

11. Play the "Italian Trick." Don't fix defects unless they put your family at risk. You can re-cycle the same defects year after year. This works if you don't wan't to sell your home.

12. I am not a lawyer, and you take this advice at your own risk.

Reads like a war diary. I like it.

Top Bottom