Bexar County Property Appraisal District - Legitimate?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    You should fill out all your exemptions, and Texas offers a lot from Senior, vets, ag, etc. I get three exemptions.
    Reminds me that I have never claimed a vet exemption. Headed over to the TCAD site now. Thanks!
    Edited to add: No worky, got to be disabled, which I am not.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    That ain’t gonna happen. The tax man only cares what he assesses it at, not what someone paid for it.

Not correct. I bought my house for abt half of appraised value. I contested the appraisal and had to show proof of purchase price and that the property was listed on MLS thru a licensed realtor. That got rid of the brother-in-law deals. They then adjusted my appraised value to what I paid. BUT as I got it fixed up the appraisal went up yearly until they got about normal but then I got them, I froze it.. Hee He

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Not correct. I bought my house for abt half of appraised value. I contested the appraisal and had to show proof of purchase price and that the property was listed on MLS thru a licensed realtor. That got rid of the brother-in-law deals. They then adjusted my appraised value to what I paid. BUT as I got it fixed up the appraisal went up yearly until they got about normal but then I got them, I froze it.. Hee He

Did you not see post 20.

But to be pedantic, which I don’t normally like to be, the tax man does only care about what the appraised value is, as that is what establishes the taxable value of the property.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Did you not see post 20.

But to be pedantic, which I don’t normally like to be, the tax man does only care about what the appraised value is, as that is what establishes the taxable value of the property.

Yep saw post 20. I didn't have to show anything about needing repairs nor cost to repair. I just had to prove the price I bought it at. See the difference?

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    I got the projected assessment yesterday with the "value" listed at 120% of what I paid for the house (new) six months ago.

I need contact information for companies that can handle my appeal.

Thanks!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I use "O’Connor Associates".
    Don't have a link, I'm sure you can Google it.
    Don't know your location, or they cover outside of the Houston area.

They do everything, their fee is 50% of what they save you.
    I know others on here mentioned same type of deal,but lower percentage.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    How did I miss this thread until now?

We closed on our house in September and just got a form letter from the above company requesting information on the type of sale and purchase price.

Is the Bexar County Property Appraisal District a legitimate official entity? If so, shouldn't they have access to the transaction records?

First, that is most likely a scam of some sort, with a name similar to the legitimate CAD. You most likely got letters from 'deed services' and such as well, and agencies offering to file your Homestead Exemption too.
    Texas is a non-disclosure state, it's not public record what sales price is on most transactions - nor do you have to report it. "For ten Dollars ($10.00) and other good and valuable consideration..."

The only form you should fill out is your homestead exemption

Yes! And, generally, any other available exemption as well.

Eli

Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    ETA: our state Constitution specifically states appraised value cannot exceed market value.

Typical government speak.

In said document, the term "market value" is given a perverted version of the classic definition (and even that intent is notably consumed by the first word, "Most").

And then said term is arguably misused, departing from its stated definition, 24 more times in the same document.

Tax payer is gonna pay what they say the property is worth, by using a guess at true "market value", with possibly a few crumbs of recourse thrown to them under the guise of a "protest".

And the pisser: the cottage "property tax protest" industry is mostly owned by former members and heads of "tax appraisal districts".

But, we do put up with it ...

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I got the projected assessment yesterday with the "value" listed at 120% of what I paid for the house (new) six months ago.

I need contact information for companies that can handle my appeal.

Thanks!

Don't pay anyone. Same thing happened to me. I went through the simple appeal process. All I had to do was show my closing documents and they reduced the appraisal to the sale price.

Ruark

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    We closed on our house in September and just got a form letter from the above company requesting information on the type of sale and purchase price.

Is the Bexar County Property Appraisal District a legitimate official entity? If so, shouldn't they have access to the transaction records?
    Whoa.... No, it's not. The word "property" isn't part of the name of any appraisal district. Sounds like a slick operation trying to sound "official."

Top Bottom