• ...and so much more!
  • 66vette

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2019
    U.S.A.
    It's that time of year again.
    I killed 2 snakes in the last 3 days while working outside. They know winter is coming & they're hunting for food before they take a long nap.
    I almost stepped on that 28" Coral snake. They can be deadly regardless the size. Barely saw it in 2" tall grass. Anti-venom is no longer made for those since 2008.
    The Yellow bellied water snake was 42" & less than 2 feet from me when I saw it.

I don't need the kids or dogs getting bit.
    This cooler weather has me getting work done outside.
    I'm sure I'll see more in the days ahead.

1633486776096.png

1633486884843.png
    Texas SOT

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Those water snakes won’t hurt a thing. Harmless frog and fish eaters. I sure don’t blame you for killing that Coral. Still- last guy to die of a coral snake bite in the US was in 2006. 40 years before that was the previous time.

66vette

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2019
    U.S.A.
    Whereabouts do you live that you are seeing these?
    About 20 miles southeast of Grapeland in the country.
    A couple of my neighbors have large ponds or stock tanks for cattle which I'm sure snakes use for their watering hole also.
    I have handled every venomous snake in Texas (alive) over the years, except the Timber Rattler from way down South Texas & the Coral snake.
    I prefer to pass on the last 2.

If I can catch the goods ones & relocate them I do.
    But the water snake got the best of my reflexes.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Those water snakes won’t hurt a thing. Harmless frog and fish eaters. I sure don’t blame you for killing that Coral. Still- last guy to die of a coral snake bite in the US was in 2006. 40 years before that was the previous time.
    Coral snakes do not have fangs like a viper. Which means that they can't strike and inject venom like a viper. They literally have to latch onto you, and chew to inject venom. Which is why bites or deaths from coral snakes is almost rare.

66vette

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2019
    U.S.A.
    Coral snakes do not have fangs like a viper. Which means that they can't strike and inject venom like a viper. They literally have to latch onto you, and chew to inject venom. Which is why bites or deaths from coral snakes is almost rare.
    Deaths may be rare but, the serious problems they can create is more than anyone needs to deal with.
    Kids & dogs need to be protected.

Coral snakes have small, fixed fangs, and when they bite they tend to latch onto their prey and "chew" for a few seconds in order to deliver their venom.

Although uncommon, coral snake bites can potentially lead to severe neurotoxicity, including complete respiratory failure, if left untreated. All suspected envenomations should be evaluated and monitored in a hospital for at least 24 hours due to the delayed onset of symptoms.

Symptoms of a coral snake envenomation can include nausea, vomiting, paresthesias (abnormal sensations), slurred speech, double vision, ptosis (drooping eye), muscle twitching, weakness, and paralysis. The major cause of death from coral snake envenomations is respiratory failure as a result of neuromuscular weakness.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Deaths may be rare but, the serious problems they can create is more than anyone needs to deal with.
    Kids & dogs need to be protected.

Coral snakes have small, fixed fangs, and when they bite they tend to latch onto their prey and "chew" for a few seconds in order to deliver their venom.

Although uncommon, coral snake bites can potentially lead to severe neurotoxicity, including complete respiratory failure, if left untreated. All suspected envenomations should be evaluated and monitored in a hospital for at least 24 hours due to the delayed onset of symptoms.

Symptoms of a coral snake envenomation can include nausea, vomiting, paresthesias (abnormal sensations), slurred speech, double vision, ptosis (drooping eye), muscle twitching, weakness, and paralysis. The major cause of death from coral snake envenomations is respiratory failure as a result of neuromuscular weakness.
    With little kids I can see dispatching the Coral. However, the water snake was just plain ignorance.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    A couple of other reasons their bites and deaths from coral snake bites are rare are: the small size of their heads & jaws; so, they just about have to bite you on a finger or toe or on the web between fingers. Another reason is the fact they usually are very reclusive. One other is they often are reticent to bite unless provoked. Most times someone is bitten by a North American coral snake, they are handling it. They do have small fixed front fangs but as you said, not like a viper's. A side note: there are no true vipers native to the USA, only pit vipers; although, coral snakes are elapids.

Anti-venom is no longer made for those since 2008.

If you mean for coral snakes, that is not correct. Pfizer produces antivenom for North American coral snakes.

This is an interesting piece about them: https://www.livescience.com/43938-coral-snakes-colors-bites-farts-facts.html

Last edited:
    Top Bottom