Join TexasGunTalk

Beware: Alpine Gun Range

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Ranges' started by TX69, Nov 20, 2016.

1. zincwarrior

zincwarrior TGT Addict

Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    One argument is that FMJ might spark a fire. Wildfire hazards are a real thing in central Texas.

2. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    ????

from an idgit coffeeholic

3. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Not sure what you are questioning - my post or the fire post.

4. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Wonder if there are any stats regarding how many wildfires have been started by shooting full metal jacketed bullets? :green:

5. zincwarrior

zincwarrior TGT Addict

Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    No clue. I have been to three fires on ranges (two of them indoor). Indoor ranges tend to restrict some ammo for that reason. Just surmising its the same but could be something completely different.

6. Texasjack

Texasjack TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I've never seen FMJ restrictions in the Houston area. Covering the tip with copper does not change what happens to a bullet when it hits dirt. There's gotta be some sort of pressure on the ranges in the DFW area - maybe insurance? These vague reasons given at the range don't make sense.

7. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I was wondering how non-ferrous metals spark. Wasn't aware they could.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

8. Mikewood

Mikewood Well-Known

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Some of the FMJ is steel core and some is tungsten. By removing all FMJ you do a couple things. You revive the AP steel core and that can spark on a piece of chert up on the berm and start a fire and secondly you remove the Buba blaster. The guy that goes to the range and shoots up the target stand the baffles and sometimes the roof. Sure this can still happen with bolt action Fuds but it's less likely than a gang banger shooting his AK.

My question is did they check? Usually I have a plastic "MCM" box of hand loads and it takes me an hour and a half to shoot those 50 rounds. I might also have a mag or three of ball that gets sent down range afterward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. Mikewood

Mikewood Well-Known

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Baylies house of guns use to have a restriction on FMJ. But they had tire berms and were afraid of a AP or API sneaking in and hitting a steel belt and setting the whole place on fire. Well that's what Ma said and you know how she is. I stopped going after I was accused of almost shooting too fast. That and I didn't like single loading my semiautomatic rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. Recoil45

Recoil45 Well-Known

Feb 13, 2014
    It's a real issue at indoor ranges depending on the backstop. I really don't see how it's an issue at an outdoor range. I think it has more to do with trying to keep the rapid fire AR guys away. But that's just my personal guess.

Edit: I can also see the steelcore angle posted by MW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk