Hurley's Gold

Better off to carry with none in the chamber than not at all?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I once took the Advanced Low Light Pistol course at RDI in Pleasanton. I was the only non-cop. Even though I was wearing a cover garment (unbuttoned long-sleeve shirt) so I could practice the same as how I carried, my draws were a good 1/2 second faster than the cops, who were using their duty holsters with various levers and crap.

That 1/2 second meant I usually had one or two rounds on target before they even shot. You're taking a big risk by assuming you'll have time to rack the slide.
    Military Camp

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    I once took the Advanced Low Light Pistol course at RDI in Pleasanton. I was the only non-cop. Even though I was wearing a cover garment (unbuttoned long-sleeve shirt) so I could practice the same as how I carried, my draws were a good 1/2 second faster than the cops, who were using their duty holsters with various levers and crap.

That 1/2 second meant I usually had one or two rounds on target before they even shot. You're taking a big risk by assuming you'll have time to rack the slide.
    And isn't necessary on any modern handgun. Gun in a good holster with one in the chamber.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I had two older double-action Colts w/ same problem.

I was replying to a prior post.

My Python has a nice transfer bar, as do all our S&W’s currently.
    I had a Ruger Single Six pre-transfer bar. It was a very nice revolver in like new condition but I wound up selling it instead of tempting fate. I'd never consider carrying it. Its replacement was a New Model Single Six in stainless steel.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Carry my 1911 always cocked with safety on and holstered. You are face to face with a man and he grabs for you. Now you are holding him off with one arm/hand and pull your weapon with free hand now how in the hell are you going to hold off attacker and rack the slide and fire the weapon.
    <>

Just like my old WWII Army Officer Dad taught me. . . . .

<>

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2015
    Fun that this thread keeps going !
    A few days ago a “short” on YouTube popped into my feed from someone saying “ if you don’t trust you/and your weapon to have one in the chamber, then your skills/comfort level with a gun are not there yet to be carrying”
    There are many situations where you won’t have that extra second to react and rack, or the other hand (and I’m aware how easy is to rack a slide with one hand in a few scenarios)

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Fun that this thread keeps going !
    A few days ago a “short” on YouTube popped into my feed from someone saying “ if you don’t trust you/and your weapon to have one in the chamber, then your skills/comfort level with a gun are not there yet to be carrying”
    There are many situations where you won’t have that extra second to react and rack, or the other hand (and I’m aware how easy is to rack a slide with one hand in a few scenarios)
    quoted for fact!

cav2108541

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2023
    Killeen, TX
    I understand the vast benefits of carrying with one in the chamber and drawbacks to carrying with an empty chamber.

I understand the internal safeties that guns have and what a proper holster looks like.

Say you have a friend/family member though, that just will not carry with one in the chamber, overall, generally speaking, all things being equal, are they better off not carrying at all or carrying with no round in the chamber and training to chamber a round as needed?

* This isn't about what method is better, I acknowledged which is better. This is about carrying with no round chambered vs not carrying at all.
    Maybe. I never allow a striker-fired pistol in the car unless it is in a holster and on my person. I just don't trust the things in an accident.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Maybe. I never allow a striker-fired pistol in the car unless it is in a holster and on my person. I just don't trust the things in an accident.

You could throw a Glock off the Chrysler Building and it wouldn't detonate by any means from the pistol.

Would you allow a Colt 70 or pre-70 series 1911 in your car?

surevaliance

Make Glockarev happen!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    AZ
    Beating a dead horse here but the firing pin on a Glock is under no tension before pressing the trigger and there is a mechanical pin between the firing pin and primer as well.
    1714196284285.gif

Top Bottom