• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RSBro

No Limit Honky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Magnolia, Texas
    I'm brand new to the red dot world, and purchased a Leupold Delta Point Pro and have it mounted on my new Sig P320 Legion X5 that I'm planning to zero in this weekend.
    I've watched numerous videos on how to 'best' zero a pistol red dot, but wanted to get some more info here. I've seen many say you need to slave first to the iron sights, and then go from there, but for the DPP to fit on my X5, the rear irons had to be removed, even though Leupold makes a rear iron sight adapter. But then, what's the point of the red dot? I do NOT plan to carry this gun, but possibly try out competitive shooting in the future, so not sure the rear irons are that important.
    Also, I've seen many say 25 yards is best, others the 5, 10, 15? Sig says use 15 and go from there.

Is it really as easy as get to 15 yards, and adjust height and windage from your red dot center? I've always had someone available to help me zero rifle optics in the past but they are no longer available, so this is my first time trying it on my own. Sorry for the n00by question! Just want to really learn my gear best I can.
    Gun Zone Deals

MaxFactor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2020
    Fort Worth
    Hey there!

I'm in the same boat as you lol completely upgraded my glock 19 with TTI fiber optic sights and my RMR but i used a 9mm boresight laser which you can get on amazon fairly cheap! you can zero it in your house and take it to the range and fine tune it there which i still have to do. Getting a bean bag and resting your firearm on it to zero your sights is probably the preferred way I'd assume.

RSBro

No Limit Honky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Magnolia, Texas
    I found both of these yesterday, which were helpful. Leupold themselves say "slave to the irons" which makes no sense, as my DPP is way too high in the FOV above the front sight to even get close, but if you're going to use your irons (except as backup), why have an optic?

I'm going to zero at 15 tomorrow, or attempt to!

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    I'm brand new to the red dot world, and purchased a Leupold Delta Point Pro and have it mounted on my new Sig P320 Legion X5 that I'm planning to zero in this weekend.
    I've watched numerous videos on how to 'best' zero a pistol red dot, but wanted to get some more info here. I've seen many say you need to slave first to the iron sights, and then go from there, but for the DPP to fit on my X5, the rear irons had to be removed, even though Leupold makes a rear iron sight adapter. But then, what's the point of the red dot? I do NOT plan to carry this gun, but possibly try out competitive shooting in the future, so not sure the rear irons are that important.
    Also, I've seen many say 25 yards is best, others the 5, 10, 15? Sig says use 15 and go from there.

Is it really as easy as get to 15 yards, and adjust height and windage from your red dot center? I've always had someone available to help me zero rifle optics in the past but they are no longer available, so this is my first time trying it on my own. Sorry for the n00by question! Just want to really learn my gear best I can.

So if it's for competition, get rid of the front sight -- it just adds weight to the slide which you don't need.

Zeroing any gun, you want a stable platform. Lots of people buy or make various gun rests for these occasions. Sometimes good enough is good enough, you can just use a table or bench and kneel in front of it, or use a plastic barrel, or etc.

Competition zero -- depends which competition. Say for USPSA carry optics, 15 yards is a fine choice. Some people will prefer other zeroes. A lot of times it depends on the places where you shoot. For example, the Area 3 match for USPSA is well-known for some really distant targets, pushing the limits of what's allowed in USPSA. Maybe you're just going to shoot IDPA at an indoor range, and because of the tiny space, no target will ever be further than 15 yards. Those are important considerations.

But yeah, choose your zero, create a stable platform, set a target at the desired zero distance, make sure you've got the kind of ammo you'll be using in competition, and get to work. Be nice and slow with your trigger pulls so you're sure to be surprised when it breaks. Adjust your windage and elevation until you're dead on.

From time to time, re-check your zero. Some times your optic mount is unreliable, sometimes the optic is unreliable, sometimes you have to remove the optic to change the battery and so everything is messed up, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:

MaxFactor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2020
    Fort Worth
    interesting video, i got my red dot "slaved" to the irons which TTI fiber optic irons are manufactured to be zeroed at 15 yards, guess i could push out the red dot to 25 today when i hit the range see how i like it. shooting crappy ammo not sure if i wanna mess with my zero with that though..probably not.

RSBro

No Limit Honky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Magnolia, Texas
    Thanks @etmo for the advice. This is all new to me but don't want to be reliant on anyone else, so self-instruction is paramount here. Greatly appreciated! I will follow-up after the range tomorrow, will see how I do.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Thanks @etmo for the advice. This is all new to me but don't want to be reliant on anyone else, so self-instruction is paramount here. Greatly appreciated! I will follow-up after the range tomorrow, will see how I do.

Happy to help. Not sure what happened with my post, but I thought I mentioned this already:
    If you're getting into USPSA shooting, go join the Brian Enos forum. Every important question you could ever want to ask has already been answered over there. There's an entire subforum about shooting the X5 Legion in USPSA competition.

RSBro

No Limit Honky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Magnolia, Texas
    Happy to help. Not sure what happened with my post, but I thought I mentioned this already:
    If you're getting into USPSA shooting, go join the Brian Enos forum. Every important question you could ever want to ask has already been answered over there. There's an entire subforum about shooting the X5 Legion in USPSA competition.

Will do that today, thanks again!

baseball8819

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Dallas
    I lined up the red dot with the irons on my FNX 45T at home before going to the range to see how well it would be "out of the box" and wasn't disappointed. Definitely helps to know roughly what the irons are set to, though.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    1) no need for irons, so lose them.
    2) Zero for distance you plan to shoot matches.
    3) Zero with ammo you will use.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    +1 on brianenos.com: There are a bunch of USPSA grand masters on there, and several world champions, as well.

Whether it's training techniques, or reloading, there is an amazing amount of info on that site. (I've been a member there for over 10? years?)

RSBro

No Limit Honky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Magnolia, Texas
    1) no need for irons, so lose them.
    2) Zero for distance you plan to shoot matches.
    3) Zero with ammo you will use.

I tried to shoot someone's pistol last weekend with the "half co-witness' thing with their irons and optic, it sucked lol. I nail it every time with my DPP zeroed in now.

Top Bottom