• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Let’s say I have to stitch up a mean thigh gash. I have the needles and catgut. Beyond ingested alcohol or other drugs, what besides ice will numb the pain of the needle?
    Dont be a pussy. Dull that needle slap some tobacco juice in there and just do it.

mogobodo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2022
    Dallas
    Let’s say I have to stitch up a mean thigh gash. I have the needles and catgut. Beyond ingested alcohol or other drugs, what besides ice will numb the pain of the needle?
    Lidocaine. It is widely available at CVS. IMHO why would you do so, unless you were limited on funds? Urgent care is relatively inexpensive, you don't have to go to the ER and they can take care of it for you, and they have people who are far better in stitching people up, so it should bring the expenses down. I have had a few scars I got in the Marine Corps, including one I got during a nasty motorcycle accident where my peg sliced open my shin. An IDC stitched it up, and he did a really great job of it, where it is barely visible, considering the wound was down to my subcutaneous tissue. Is it possible to do a good job yourself, yes, but you don't do it every day for a living, like an ER/Urgent Care doc, PA or NP. Not to mention the risks of secondary infection. They will do a far better job of it, and the scar will be less visible as it heals. Just my two cents from a motorcycle rider and medical dude, (NP).

Edit : My fault bud, didn't realize it was a survival thread. :) If your curious about this type of stuff, a great read is The Ultimate Survival Medicine Guide by Joseph Alton. It covers everything from stitching to choosing the right antibiotics for common stuff, and is a great foundation for the survivalist.
    Here is a free link to it:

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Lidocaine. It is widely available at CVS. IMHO why would you do so, unless you were limited on funds? Urgent care is relatively inexpensive, you don't have to go to the ER and they can take care of it for you, and they have people who are far better in stitching people up, so it should bring the expenses down. I have had a few scars I got in the Marine Corps, including one I got during a nasty motorcycle accident where my peg sliced open my shin. An IDC stitched it up, and he did a really great job of it, where it is barely visible, considering the wound was down to my subcutaneous tissue. Is it possible to do a good job yourself, yes, but you don't do it every day for a living, like an ER/Urgent Care doc, PA or NP. Not to mention the risks of secondary infection. They will do a far better job of it, and the scar will be less visible as it heals. Just my two cents from a motorcycle rider and medical dude, (NP).

Edit : My fault bud, didn't realize it was a survival thread. :) If your curious about this type of stuff, a great read is The Ultimate Survival Medicine Guide by Joseph Alton. It covers everything from stitching to choosing the right antibiotics for common stuff, and is a great foundation for the survivalist.
    Here is a free link to it:
    Rambo it!

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Suck it up buttercup type shit.
    Buggen out has it's price
    I was kind of thinking about having to stitch up a friend too. My bride specifically. I’d rather have something on hand that would help her a bit
    Suck it up buttercup type shit.
    Buggen out has it's price
    and we’re buggin’ in.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    To numb the area with lidocaine you need to inject the area. Oh phuc are you telling me I can’t have a syringe because the scum y’all want to give narcan to are better then me?

My guess is injectable pain killers are Rx only. If Chloroform a scheduled drug? So now the revenue man was the drug & paraphernalia. The modern G man needs to know who is being treated for what.

Then there is always the country veterinarian. Remember the original The Get Away with Steve McQueen. Get you some rule 3 violation like Sally Struthers back then. I think I could figure out just what a naughty girl she could be.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Superglue works in a pinch, too. As long as the cut isn't too deep.
    This? Might sting a bit ....

q_ybPY.gif

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Besides ice or 5% lidocaine cream or spray, the only non-prescroption I can think of is air duster (which would replace ice and be harder to regulate).

Probably better to have a friend do the stitching so you can concentrate on screaming!

This is a real issue for SHTF survival, so I really hope somebody has a better answer!

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I searched through my considerable pdf library of medical info and found numerous instructions for suturing, but none for anesthetics.

One older survival forum had several suggestions...

20% benzocaine dripped along the wound edge such as...

Iodent Maximum Strenght Oral Analgesic Gel Relieft Toothach Denture Gum Irritations Cold Canker Sores 0.42oz https://a.co/5gQean7

Lidocaine sourced from your local vet or maybe from a feed store.

That other caine that is sold on street corners...

Top Bottom