• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbp210

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I have enrolled my daughter with the youth camp training with Best Shot range next week and was wondering if anyone has dealt with this range before? I was also wondering if there is something closer to North Houston as Friendswood, Texas is kind of far although I do not mind the drive.

Home » Best Shot Range

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I consider the quality of the instructors more important than the location.

Thunder Gun Range - Conroe TX used to have a fine youth program. However, I just checked their site and the two instructors who made the whole training thing work so great have been replaced. I no longer see any youth programs promoted on their web site.

I did a little googling and found that Steve and Donna Vandermolen, the two instructors who I thought did such a good job at Thunder are now teaching at CONROE SHOOTING CENTER and have a web site for their training business at http://www.omr-ent.com/ .

Zeroed In Youth Firearms Training Program is the home site for their program for kids 10 to 17. You can find a flyer here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxOvvJS84BOsYi16SGZOcmpWVWs/edit

Obviously, Conroe is a bit more convenient than Friendswood if you live on the north side.

Drop Donna an email at the address on the OMR web page. AFAICT (and I've only been an RSO for her youth classes once, so my opinion is hardly authoritative) Donna is the person most dedicated to youth training. Tell her what you're seeking for your daughter and see how she replies.

cbp210

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX

Thunder Gun Range - Conroe TX used to have a fine youth program. However, I just checked their site and the two instructors who made the whole training thing work so great have been replaced. I no longer see any youth programs promoted on their web site.

I did a little googling and found that Steve and Donna Vandermolen, the two instructors who I thought did such a good job at Thunder are now teaching at CONROE SHOOTING CENTER and have a web site for their training business at http://www.omr-ent.com/ .

Zeroed In Youth Firearms Training Program is the home site for their program for kids 10 to 17. You can find a flyer here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxOvvJS84BOsYi16SGZOcmpWVWs/edit

Obviously, Conroe is a bit more convenient than Friendswood if you live on the north side.

Drop Donna an email at the address on the OMR web page. AFAICT (and I've only been an RSO for her youth classes once, so my opinion is hardly authoritative) Donna is the person most dedicated to youth training. Tell her what you're seeking for your daughter and see how she replies.

Thanks for the information. My daughter is 8 so I would have to wait two years for this school. I contacted the 4H and they directed me to an organization in Crosby but they do not start until September. Best shot has small clinics which starts their kids at 8 so the drive will be a little worth it. I will keep this information handy when my daughter turns 10 and if you know of anymore schools let me know.

cbp210

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I'd go with Steve at CSC. I was actually talking to him about when and how I should get my daughter involved in shooting this weekend

I do have his information saved for when my daughter turns 10. Best Shot range was awesome and the instructor was awesome as he had about 7 students on the day my daughter was there. I was so happy he got my daughter to shoot good with a good pattern. He was using Savage 22 Bolt action rifles with a magazine. I talked with him afterwards and thanked him and told him I wish he was closer as my work schedule is so hectic. What I like he is that he starts at 8 years old and most of the kids in this class were 8 and 9 years old with one thirteen year old in the class. If you knew Steve and CSC you might want to talk with him about the age to start but then again he might be comfortable with what he is doing right now.

cbp210

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX

Again thanks for the information about CSC but wanted to say that I would never step foot at Thunder Gun Range even if they had youth classes and the owner is pretty weird that I would not trust my kid around him.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    I do have his information saved for when my daughter turns 10. Best Shot range was awesome and the instructor was awesome as he had about 7 students on the day my daughter was there. I was so happy he got my daughter to shoot good with a good pattern. He was using Savage 22 Bolt action rifles with a magazine. I talked with him afterwards and thanked him and told him I wish he was closer as my work schedule is so hectic. What I like he is that he starts at 8 years old and most of the kids in this class were 8 and 9 years old with one thirteen year old in the class. If you knew Steve and CSC you might want to talk with him about the age to start but then again he might be comfortable with what he is doing right now.
    He does have a children's class and he says that he comfortable with kids as young as 7 yrs old

lgustavus81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2014
    Deer Park TX
    Used to shoot at Best shot all the time myself. Not a bad spot for indoor pistol shooting. The rifle range is only 25 yards so I have since moved to an outdoor range for rifle shooting. But my daughter took her first shot there!:)

sent from my damned S4!:)

cbp210

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Used to shoot at Best shot all the time myself. Not a bad spot for indoor pistol shooting. The rifle range is only 25 yards so I have since moved to an outdoor range for rifle shooting. But my daughter took her first shot there!:)

sent from my damned S4!:)

It is a great place and nice staff even my daughter like them all. I just wish Friendswood was not too far.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ... Thunder Gun Range ... the owner is pretty weird ...
    I've heard this in other contexts but I've never actually met him. Every time I've been there, it's been for some class or event run by Steve and/or Donna.

What's the source of the negative vibe on this guy? I know lots of people stuck up for him at the height of the last ammo shortage because he managed to keep ammo in stock at not-outrageous prices. But I've also seen other people use the same word as you: "weird". So where's that coming from?

cbp210

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I've heard this in other contexts but I've never actually met him. Every time I've been there, it's been for some class or event run by Steve and/or Donna.

What's the source of the negative vibe on this guy? I know lots of people stuck up for him at the height of the last ammo shortage because he managed to keep ammo in stock at not-outrageous prices. But I've also seen other people use the same word as you: "weird". So where's that coming from?

He comes off as strange and also rides around in his go cart acting like an ass to customers. People within my circle do not like him and complain he is very cocky and makes stupid remarks thinking he is joking with you. I personally feel he has a bad persona and demeanor

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robertmb3
    Top Bottom