• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Hey all, just received a gun safe from my fathers estate. For the time being it is being stored in a very humid garage (remodeling the house and don’t want to move it multiple times). Aside from the obvious of keeping the guns well oiled, I was wondering what everyone’s opinion was on the best dehumidifier as I need to add one in prior to putting the guns in the safe. There is so much contradictory information and mixed reviews online to be sure. So I wanted to come to a place that isn’t just a store trying to sell me a useless gadget, but preferably will provide me with experience based info. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Target Sports

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I use Damp Rid from WalMart or Costco. I've also used silica gel, but it takes awhile to dry out the pellets. Much easier to put in a Damp Rid and toss it out when it is used up. Just be sure to not let any of the water spill, as it's very corrosive.

You might want to get a Zerust capsule. Put one in the safe and it puts out a vapor that prevents corrosion. Click on the blue link for more info.

Those electric gun safe dehumidifiers are nothing more than heaters. The idea is that if you keep the air in the safe warm, you won't get any condensation. They don't actually remove any water.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I do have one of the heat rods line @Axxe55 pictured above. I just wonder though if it’s really necessary since it’s in a climate controlled house.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I appreciate everyone’s input. Thank you. Going to get a few of the items listed here off Amazon and see how it goes.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Dehumidifier rod and two quart plastic containers of rice with open tops. My safe is in the garage.
    I change out or dry the rice every couple of months.

Reactions: MTA

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Golden Rod is a great safe dehumidifier.
    They come in different sizes to match your safe capacity.
    When you run power into your safe be sure to use an extension cord for multiple outlets. You may want to add lighting in the future.

Top Bottom