• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DavidNYY

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2016
    I moved to Plano a couple years ago and with as infrequently as I've been able to shoot lately, I haven't had to restock any of my ammo since I moved here. I'm wondering where the best place to buy ammo is here in the Plano area (based on cost and availability). I can always order online, but I would prefer to support my local shops.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Hurley's Gold

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Good question. I am in Plano also and have not shopped around for ammo here so it would be great to get a good lead on what shop generally has the best pricing in Plano.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I’m in McKinney. I usually do buy ammo online when I can find it inexpensive (incl shipping costs). The only “local” retailer I have any kind of history with is, catching Cabela’s [in Allen] when they have one of their “ammo box” sales. (But then again, they’re not exactly a mom & pop LGS either).

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I get almost all my ammo from Walmart. 9mm, 22lr, .45 and .223. I don't have any of the more exotic calibers, so it's pretty convenient for me to get ammo with my groceries.

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    I get almost all my ammo from Walmart. 9mm, 22lr, .45 and .223. I don't have any of the more exotic calibers, so it's pretty convenient for me to get ammo with my groceries.

Most of the time, I can't find anyone at Walmart's sporting goods section to attend to my ammo buying needs. Anyway, it's kind of a drive from Plano, but if the OP is ever near downtown Dallas, there's always Ray's Sporting Goods and Hardware off Singleton Blvd. Their prices aren't any better than most other places, but they usually have a good selection of ammo, guns and other cool stuff.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Generally speaking, ammo is something that’s pretty difficult to stock for a lot of small (mom&pop-type) retailers. It’s *very* expensive and the margins just aren’t that great on it. I was at a small shop talking to the owner one time, he had a fairly meager offering of ammo on the shelves. I made an off-hand comment about his “ammo supply” dwindling down. He said, “no, that’s about as much as he keeps on hand.” He then informed me I was looking at $10K worth of inventory! He could afford to only tie up a certain amount of cash in his ammo supply and I’ll have to say, as a result, his shelves looked fairly barren (at least compared to some of the big chain retailers).

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The small shops are not cheap. I usually buy from Academy Walmart or Cabalas.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Academy for shot shells and LGS on Av K just south of Spring Creek (next to farm store). Not the best prices but well stocked.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    I’m in McKinney. I usually do buy ammo online when I can find it inexpensive (incl shipping costs). The only “local” retailer I have any kind of history with is, catching Cabela’s [in Allen] when they have one of their “ammo box” sales. (But then again, they’re not exactly a mom & pop LGS either).

As pretty much everyone else said

Academy

They tend to have a good selection, reasonable prices, and you don’t have to wait on a person ( like Walmart)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Might look at grabagun.com. You probably know of them. An on online retailer, but have a small storefront in Coppell a little east of Bass Pro Grapevine and north of 635. They have good ammo prices and sometimes some great deals and $12.95 flat rate shipping for ammo regardless of the size of the order, but can also elect no shipping and pick up at the storefront for free. At least I assume you can with ammo as I did with firearm purchases from them in the past.

Not your traditional walk-in "gun shop," but local nonetheless and competitive prices.

rbleslie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2019
    Fort Worth
    I found that laxammunition.com has great prices--even after paying the shipping. Occasionally Academy can match their price. Also, ammograb.com will send you a weekly update on the lowest online prices for your particular manufacturer. I use that to compare with local prices.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Ammo online if you are serious about building a stash in advance of the 2020 elections.

The mark up at local retail level is not conducive to people who actually shoot to buy in quantity.

I am finding Blazer .22 for as low as 2.5 cents per round( after rebate) and 9mm as low as 12 cents a round for steel case( my Glocks and PC 9 eat it up) and as low as 15 cents per round for brass case.

Lots of specials include flat rate or even free shipping.

When you are buying thousands at a time, savings over retail add up quick.

Csilvapro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2019
    McKinney
    I moved to Plano a couple years ago and with as infrequently as I've been able to shoot lately, I haven't had to restock any of my ammo since I moved here. I'm wondering where the best place to buy ammo is here in the Plano area (based on cost and availability). I can always order online, but I would prefer to support my local shops.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    I buy 9 mm and 40 at Walmart (200 round box). Is the best price around.

Top Bottom