• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sleekster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    florida
    Have signficant "Astigmatism" in my right eye, and am right handed. Don't plan on learning to shoot left handed anytime soon.

Searching for both the type of optic(s) (prism, red dot, holographic, etc) and brand/model that can help me optimize my aim when shooting both rifle and pistol.

I know one thing...my Trijicon Acog is a great optic, but I can't really use it effectively, as the crosshair reticle I have while no doubt displaying straight lines both vertically and horizontally, looks BENT to me. Plus there's no way to adjust focus (diopter). So I have this brand new optic which I paid ($$$) and can't really use it. Thought about PRIMARY ARMS prism scopes for rifle...as they have diopters...but before I spend more $$$, thought I would reach out and ask for help.

All suggestions, etc., welcome and appreciated.

thank you
    ARJ Defense ad

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    You can use aimpoints,. . . But you need to wear your glasses. Otherwise the dot is more of a smear. If your optometrist is cool, you can bring the optic in and adjust your Rx for your glasses.

All the regular scopes won’t bother you.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I have some astigmatism, but not bad enough to cause the problem you describe.

Sorry I can't speak from personal experience. Good luck.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    You can use aimpoints,. . . But you need to wear your glasses. Otherwise the dot is more of a smear. If your optometrist is cool, you can bring the optic in and adjust your Rx for your glasses.

All the regular scopes won’t bother you.
    And even with glasses, I get a little bit of the comet tail effect. But good enough for the ranges at which a red dot would be used.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    My glasses remove like 97% of the smear/comet tail. I haven’t looked at ACOGs, but for the money I’d look into a fixed or low variable Nightforce or similar scopes.

I’ve never had in issue with traditional scopes. . . . I thought i had “bad” astigmatism, but I really don’t have a comparison.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    I have a nasty scar diagonally in the right eye.
    With iron sights, the front sight doubles. Have learned to look low and right, that puts the front sight (the one upper left) on target. I also use a 6X20 'scope - big lens gathers more light and that helps.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    They can be bulky but I do better with tube style dots like the older Miller ones. Somehow those dots are perfectly crisp circles vs a smear or blur. The holosun 406 looks promising. Some compare it to an aimpoint pro.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I'm following this thread for hopeful info. Have had to give up some rifle shooting because of diabetic damage to my right eye. But have learned to shoot pistol with my left eye (won't do that with rifle), and would like to try a red dot for pistol. I have reflex optics on both my combat shotgun and my SBR, and they seem to work fine for me at short distances. But despite cataract lens replacement surgery, I am getting astigmatism in my pistol shooting eye.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Yeah, started having blurry dots on my red dot scopes, thought I may have an astigmatism, so went to the eye doctor. Found that it wasn't an astigmatism, but presbyopia (just old eyes). So I have gone to a regular scope that can dial down to 1x and I keep it on that most of the time, works about the same as a red dot for me. With the scope on 1x, I can still use both eyes open. The scope I have is very short, so it doesn't get in my way if I have both eyes open.

Last edited:

Tonyt915

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2020
    Houston
    I have an astigmatism in both eyes. I heard of this issue but I wear my glasses at all times to help focus. I have an Aimpoint, Eotech, ACOG, and have used Millet, Bushnell and Holosun. Without glasses they all look like a star burst but with glasses on the only one that causes any issue is the Eotech. The center dot is fine but the outer ring gives me issues.

sleekster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    florida
    Astigmatism and red dot scopes are not a match....look for prism scopes so you don’t have that comet or fuzz ball.

If not a prism then look for a normal optic.
    LoneStarDiver...I "think" I disagree, only to the idea of making a "generalized" statement. Unfortunately, there is NO store I know of in MY area where I could walk up to a row of 30-40 red dots, stick my shooting eye behind each one, and SEE if there's any of'em that work for me. The ONLY time I get to look thru a red dot is when I am at a range and a kind person is all too happy to share a looksee with me...AND...to my own amazement...there have been a few red dots that look "OK" to me...like the Vortex Viper. That's not to say that I see a perfect round dot...but is to say that the dot (and a half) I see is workable for aiming. And the annoying thing is that because I can't sample the offering that is in the market, I can't really make an informed decision. BTW, I own a Trijicon Acog TA-50 (3 x 24) with crosshair green reticle. That is an ETCHED PRISM reticle if I understand correctly...and my astigmatism is bad enough that when I view the GREEN crosshair lines (vertical and horizontal) they are not straight lines...but WAVY or BENT. I use it by doing the best I can to line up where the horizontal and vertical lines cross with the target bullesye at 100 yards and let it fly. I've been able to zero my optic and achieve a pattern of about 6-7 inches in circumference when shooting from bench rest position...but forget about using it while aiming and shooting when moving around. I was considering a red dot (SRO ?) for use as OFFSET BUIS as forget about using a standard IRON SIGHT. If possible, please define a "NORMAL OPTIC" and provide a few brand and model suggestions. THANK YOU

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    A normal optic would be a conventional riflescope either fixed power or variable. Now everyone is different and the amount of astigmatism and where it is located (cornea or lens) are factors. In my case the astigmatism in located in my lens. From discussions of this same topic on various forums, red dots and holographic sights tend to cause more issues to those with astigmatism than the prism or optic type of scopes.

Of course with everyone being different, it is up to everyone to determine what works best for them.

Top Bottom