• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    I'm in the process of switching out my red dots because of my astigmatism. If any of you have the same issue can you please make a solid recommendation for me?
    Hey 007,

Welcome to TGT.

For astigmatics? The EOTECH is a good way to go...

Other "Dot" sights look "odd shaped/triangular".... The EOTECH "Dot" is ROUND! Even without my specs on.

Later, Mark

stat007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2021
    Dallas
    Hey 007,

Welcome to TGT.

For astigmatics? The EOTECH is a good way to go...

Other "Dot" sights look "odd shaped/triangular".... The EOTECH "Dot" is ROUND! Even without my specs on.

Later, Mark
    That was my first choice or an LPVO. Thanks for the help.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hey 007,

Youngest son is also astigmatic (imagine)...He recently put an EOTECH on one of his "21st Century" Cowboy Rifles (Henry .357)...

He said it was pricey, but looked much better than any other...(he wears contacts, most of the time)

He is 15yrs in USCG & currently at sea....off the "left coast"... I'll have him send me a pic, then get some one? to show me how to get pics from fone to cornfuzer to forum? (am cornfuzer challenged, so I am)...

1648073851181.png

Later, Mark

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Prisims, acogs might or might not work as they do not have diopter adjustments.

PA makes decent ones in a wide range of magnifications. I don't like their reticles.

LPVO's. Tend to be heavy, bulky, and good ones can be expensive. Eye boxes tend to be rather restrictive on higher magnification. On 1x they tend to be inferior to a red dot.

Eotechs. Reticles are still splotchy, poor battery life, and overall poor levels of construction.

You could also try absolutely co-witnissing the dot through a rear sight

stat007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2021
    Dallas

PA makes decent ones in a wide range of magnifications. I don't like their reticles.

LPVO's. Tend to be heavy, bulky, and good ones can be expensive. Eye boxes tend to be rather restrictive on higher magnification. On 1x they tend to be inferior to a red dot.

Eotechs. Reticles are still splotchy, poor battery life, and overall poor levels of construction.

You could also try absolutely co-witnissing the dot through a rear sigh

I like the ACOG TA44 but they are $$$$.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016

The rear aperture co-witness with an RD really works!

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    @stat007 , hold off on getting rid of the red dots. I, too, have astigmatism and all I could ever see in a red dot was a splash of red or a starburst. Recently, I got contact lens made for astigmatism and it made a world of difference.

Reactions: gll

stat007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2021
    Dallas
    @stat007 , hold off on getting rid of the red dots. I, too, have astigmatism and all I could ever see in a red dot was a splash of red or a starburst. Recently, I got contact lens made for astigmatism and it made a world of difference.
    I'm going to look into those contacts. Thanks for the info

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I have an astigmatism that comes and goes regularly. Because of this I mostly use eotech, irons, and acogs for any serious work. I can deal with red dots for recreational stuff.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

TiredThoughts

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2022
    Dallas
    This is something I've been wondering about as well. I was looking to spend ~$500 on an optic, most people recommend the PRO but I was worried my slight astigmatism might be an issue. Wasn't sure if a 512 might be better, or something else entirely. Any one know if there is a store in the Dallas area that would let me look at one or both to try and figure it out?

Top Bottom