• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LoneStarTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As a Texan I did enjoy the outdoor recreation freedoms when living in CA, AZ and NM but returning to my Texas I am saddened by the lack of public land here. I know Texas history and understand why that is but my shooting activities are very limited to expensive short indoor ranges, exclusive $$$ long ranges and very expensive hunting leases.
    Lynx Defense

Terrym21

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2019
    Liberty Hill
    As of last Thursday, rifle range was still shut down to anything larger than 223/556.

Coincidentally, about a year ago, a developer erected a new rustic pasture fence along highway 29 and put up a FOR SALE sign. The land is very near BOTW, but nowhere near being down range.

Today I drove to the nearest point to down range and there is absolutely no development or FOR SALE signs going on out there.

There are other FOR SALE signs nearby on highway 29.

This is most-likely a noise issue disguised as a ballistic accusation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    Met a guy this weekend who shot there this week, they told him the range is shutting down completely on 30 Sept. Also reported on another website.

I am only reporting what I was told, no concrete confirmation. Nothing on the website.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    "move to one of the more conservative mountainous states like Montana."
    Good luck with that!
    Montana is now filling up with rich Lefty Demorats.
    Bozeman kind of reminds me of Austin about 20 years ago. I kinda like it, but that means in 20 years it'll be full retard.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    There is a big range in the G. Bush park along Westheimer Parkway west of SH 6. Open to the public. I think it is still there. I shot there one time years ago.
    American Shooting Center. Rifle range goes out to 600. If Houston had gotten the Olympics the last time we were up for it, that was going to be the location for the shooting sports. It's a decent commercial range and if I still lived nearby, I'd have a membership.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Austin, TX
    posted on the webpage....

We were notified that beginning Monday, August 26, 2019, we will not be allowed to have rifles of any kind used on the range. Contrary to rumors circulating, no one has been injured or killed by gunfire from the range. However with this information we will, with much sadness, be closing Best of the West effective on or before, September 29, 2019, as we cannot financially sustain operations.
    Over the last nine years, we have enjoyed each and every one of you. Words cannot express how much we thank you for your patronage, loyalty, support, encouraging words, and ideas to help us. We have developed friendships that we will always remember and appreciate.

If you have a yearly membership, we will prorate and send you a refund as soon as possible.

Again, thank you all so much for everything you have done and for growing Best of the West with us. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause our customers, the LTC instructors, and all the law enforcement agencies that use the range for training and qualifications.

Sincerely,
    Millard Grantham and staff

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    How do you prorate a lifetime membership?
    Nobody knows how long I'll live.

GLI45

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Where now? While I haven’t been to BOTW since July, it’s been my go to place for practice. I shoot USPSA and being able to rent a tactical bay and bring my target stands was ideal for setting up practice stages. Does anyone know of another range with bays that’s not a private gun club?

baz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2019
    Austin, TX
    Where now? While I haven’t been to BOTW since July, it’s been my go to place for practice. I shoot USPSA and being able to rent a tactical bay and bring my target stands was ideal for setting up practice stages. Does anyone know of another range with bays that’s not a private gun club?

Copperhead Creek has bays that can be rented by the public.

Top Bottom