• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I can remember when Dairy Queen had an awesome chicken fried steak sandwich. I loved those. They still have it, but it's not anything like it was years ago.

Anyone remember the old A&W Rootbeer drive-ins, that sold hamburgers and fries, with the root beer in the frozen mugs? OMG!
    A&W up yonder had a breaded pork tenderloin sammich they called poor boys. First po boy I got in Texas was a WTF moment for me. They also cranked out killer sloppy joe like sammiches. Dog & Suds was like A&W but better.
    Hurley's Gold

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    A&W up yonder had a breaded pork tenderloin sammich they called poor boys. First po boy I got in Texas was a WTF moment for me. They also cranked out killer sloppy joe like sammiches. Dog & Suds was like A&W but better.

Best I remember, the A&W places were individual franchises, so the menus could vary from one to the next.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Try Sook's in Pyote. Many hands I knew raved about their burgers as some even drove 20 miles or more to get them. I was never there for lunch but the burritos, especially the chorizo and egg, were a meal and left no doubt they had chorizo in them.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    We tried Bob's Burger Barn yesterday. Good burgers, but a tad too greasy for my tastes. I had the Falling Rocks, essentially a patty melt with chili and an onion ring on it. My son really liked his Big Haus double burger, but my wife wasn't impressed with her Yellow Belly grilled chicken sandwich. She was also disappointed that they didn't have the nacho plate even though it's still on the menu (they quit selling it). The menu was also pretty limited (see below). The free video games were really nice, my other son had a blast playing Pac Man...

Our bottom line, the burgers were good but as stated, a bit greasy. I should have tried a plain burger as the Falling Rocks is even greasier with the chili on it and the onion ring. I think the regular burgers would be less so, but my wife said even her grilled chicken sandwich tasted greasy most likely as it was done on the same grill as the burgers. We would go back, but won't make an effort to do so. Jimmy's Burgers, also in Pipe Creek, still have a higher rating on Google (4.6 stars vs 4.4 stars) with even more reviews. We may have to give it a try to see how it compares.

In our opinion, Alamo Springs Café still stands as the burger by which all others will be judged...

1605531805497.png

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Just FYI, Jimmy's burgers is also cheaper!

View attachment 234157
    Jimmy's does make a very good burger. I did NOT know they had that much breakfast. May have to try the carne guisada tacos. I have my own secret recipe and all gets' compared to that.
    By the way, I don't know if you noticed it while at Bob's, but there is a hole-in-the-wall taco place right next door and he does GOOD work if you want a breakfast taco. His carne guisada is very good and his bacon/egg is tops. He stuffs two salsas in each bag, one rojo, one verde. Yum.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    I tried the burger joint that the OP posted. I must say it's pretty good. I do prefer burger patties that are proportional to the size of the bun and this place fits the bill

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Jimmy's does make a very good burger. I did NOT know they had that much breakfast. May have to try the carne guisada tacos. I have my own secret recipe and all gets' compared to that.
    By the way, I don't know if you noticed it while at Bob's, but there is a hole-in-the-wall taco place right next door and he does GOOD work if you want a breakfast taco. His carne guisada is very good and his bacon/egg is tops. He stuffs two salsas in each bag, one rojo, one verde. Yum.

We're gonna try Jimmy's next time. We had planned to get BBQ at Fritze's in Boerne, but they are closed on Sundays, so we diverted to try Bob's. It wasn't bad, but nothing we'd rush back to either...

Speaking of which, Jimmy's is closed on Sundays as well!

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Has anyone tried Checker's or Rally's? I know they are more of a fast food burger joint, but IMO, they were one of my favorites years ago when I lived and worked in the Houston area.

I use to call them a "heart attack in sack" burger!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    We tried Bob's Burger Barn yesterday. Good burgers, but a tad too greasy for my tastes. I had the Falling Rocks, essentially a patty melt with chili and an onion ring on it. My son really liked his Big Haus double burger, but my wife wasn't impressed with her Yellow Belly grilled chicken sandwich. She was also disappointed that they didn't have the nacho plate even though it's still on the menu (they quit selling it). The menu was also pretty limited (see below). The free video games were really nice, my other son had a blast playing Pac Man...

Our bottom line, the burgers were good but as stated, a bit greasy. I should have tried a plain burger as the Falling Rocks is even greasier with the chili on it and the onion ring. I think the regular burgers would be less so, but my wife said even her grilled chicken sandwich tasted greasy most likely as it was done on the same grill as the burgers. We would go back, but won't make an effort to do so. Jimmy's Burgers, also in Pipe Creek, still have a higher rating on Google (4.6 stars vs 4.4 stars) with even more reviews. We may have to give it a try to see how it compares.

In our opinion, Alamo Springs Café still stands as the burger by which all others will be judged...

View attachment 234156

Does anyone know if Bob's Burger Barn is no more? I saw this on Facebook...

Marketplace - Office restaurt retail | Facebook

1613277102414.png

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Has anyone tried Checker's or Rally's? I know they are more of a fast food burger joint, but IMO, they were one of my favorites years ago when I lived and worked in the Houston area.

I use to call them a "heart attack in sack" burger!
    Haven't had rally's in probably more than 25 years

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Good deal Groupon on a great burger at Biff Buzbys in Selma (N San Antonio)

Friday nights are hot rod night (well was before the kung fu flu) Have spent many a Friday night hanging there. Burgers are good but when its a busy Friday go early or plan to wait.

The Longhorn Cafe in San Antonio on Blanco Road just south of Loop 1604 had an excellent burger the one time I went there. Is it still there?

Still there and expanded now. Burgers are still tasty at original local have not been to any expansions.
    You need to try out County Line BBQ on the river. Wife and I and friends of ours, have eaten there several times in the past. Great BBQ. Awesome brisket.
    County Line? so many far better BBQ spots in SA other than down on RW aka tourista row.
    I do like On The Border. Great food, but not what I consider authentic Mexican food. Very casual Mexican food at best.

Same here. Try out something new or different that others highly recommend, and only end up disappointed.

Again in SA sooo many far batter spots for Mexican food besides the chains.

Also a spot in Boerne on Saturday nights if you like hot rods called Soda Pops. Live music cars and decent burgers. But again when busy plan to wait. Very small place.
    Not sure since the kung fu flu if hotrod night still happens 1st Sat of month usually starts up in March.

If your ever in OK try a Braums good burgers and really good ice cream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom