• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steve67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2020
    San Antonio
    I'm back & working a long hours this week. I should be posting up the guns for sale sooner than later. I would like to think I'm not paranoid, but where do most people seriously do there transactions? Also, documentation, what does the law require? I have read some of the posts through out the forum and I just want to make sure I'm not breaking any laws and covering my a$$.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Also, documentation, what does the law require? .
    No paper work required.

An unlicensed individual may transfer a firearm to another unlicensed individual residing in the same State, provided that he or she has no reason to believe the buyer is prohibited by law from possessing firearms.

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I'm back & working a long hours this week. I should be posting up the guns for sale sooner than later. I would like to think I'm not paranoid, but where do most people seriously do there transactions? Also, documentation, what does the law require? I have read some of the posts through out the forum and I just want to make sure I'm not breaking any laws and covering my a$$.
    I will typically do any online face to face transactions in a public place, in the day time. Parking lot of a Home Depot, etc.
    if you are the seller, stay in contact via text/call on day of sale. Get/give vehicle info ( color/model)so you will know who to look for. Get there first and if the person looks shady or sets off your spidey sense, drive away.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.

Legally there is no paperwork required for a private gun sale in Texas.
    Some guys are paranoid about the gun being misused so they want a record they sold the thing to an identifiable person. This is why some insist on a Bill of Sale.
    I'm not going to go into all the asshattery the B.o.S. always starts up just do what you're comfortable with.
    Where you do the hand off is entirely up to you and the buyer.
    Typically I ask to meet in a public place mutually distant from each other. Usually somewhere easy to find, Wal-Mart, Academy, etc.
    Some towns police depts. have a spot out front just for this.
    I strongly recommend you DO NOT allow an unknown person to know your home address.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Well, Moonpie is out of the running then. :roflfunny:
    aaaa.jpg

Attachments

• aaaa.jpg
      aaaa.jpg
      18.8 KB · Views: 528

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    where do most people seriously do there transactions?

99% of mine are done at my home. Wait - you say that's dangerous? Then why the hell am I selling you a gun??? I'm pretty selective as to who I'll sell a gun to, which is why I like selling and buying on a web-based forum, where I can look and see that someone's been active for a number of years (and I'll even go back and read some of their posts often). Besides - at my house, you'll be monitored by at least 4 cameras as you arrive, and the transaction takes place in my garage......yeah - camera sitting right there capturing every detail of your mug. If you get here and I don't like the way the meet goes, I WILL cancel the sale. Only happened a time or two, and never someone from this forum - and if they want to object, they'd best be mindful of the .45 on my hip, and the KSG that happens to be next to me.

Also, documentation, what does the law require? I have read some of the posts through out the forum and I just want to make sure I'm not breaking any laws and covering my a$$.

(Seller) "Hey, bud - how's it going? You here to see my pistol?"

(Buyer) "Yessir - have your money right here!"

(S) "Cool - you a Texas resident that can legally own/buy a gun, and are you 18 or over?"

(B) "Yessir on all 3!" Who then hands the money over........

(S) "Thanks - here's your gun - enjoy it! Bye!"

You have met all legal requirements. I DO require they show me a Texas DL for my own peace of mind. And meeting here at the house, it's a more relaxed atmosphere where you can get a better feel for the person you're getting ready to sell a gun to. I take that seriously - but I also don't go overboard. I've actually made some good friends over the years this way, and have refused to complete a sale for just a few.

The guys that want a BOS (which has NO legal standing), or to see a LTC.....if you're THAT nervous - pay a FFL to hold your hand and do it for you. If something later happens w/the gun, all you're required to do is inform the LEO's that the gun was sold in a private transaction. Tell them what you remember and be truthful, but you're NOT required to have any "documentation", which HAS been used AGAINST a seller in the past.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Steve, i have a DL AND a LTC. Just sayin......

And, and, and, I have a sparkling trader rep score.

You do have a 1911 in 9mm?

steve67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2020
    San Antonio
    99% of mine are done at my home. Wait - you say that's dangerous? Then why the hell am I selling you a gun??? I'm pretty selective as to who I'll sell a gun to, which is why I like selling and buying on a web-based forum, where I can look and see that someone's been active for a number of years (and I'll even go back and read some of their posts often). Besides - at my house, you'll be monitored by at least 4 cameras as you arrive, and the transaction takes place in my garage......yeah - camera sitting right there capturing every detail of your mug. If you get here and I don't like the way the meet goes, I WILL cancel the sale. Only happened a time or two, and never someone from this forum - and if they want to object, they'd best be mindful of the .45 on my hip, and the KSG that happens to be next to me.

(Seller) "Hey, bud - how's it going? You here to see my pistol?"

(Buyer) "Yessir - have your money right here!"

(S) "Cool - you a Texas resident that can legally own/buy a gun, and are you 18 or over?"

(B) "Yessir on all 3!" Who then hands the money over........

(S) "Thanks - here's your gun - enjoy it! Bye!"

You have met all legal requirements. I DO require they show me a Texas DL for my own peace of mind. And meeting here at the house, it's a more relaxed atmosphere where you can get a better feel for the person you're getting ready to sell a gun to. I take that seriously - but I also don't go overboard. I've actually made some good friends over the years this way, and have refused to complete a sale for just a few.

The guys that want a BOS (which has NO legal standing), or to see a LTC.....if you're THAT nervous - pay a FFL to hold your hand and do it for you. If something later happens w/the gun, all you're required to do is inform the LEO's that the gun was sold in a private transaction. Tell them what you remember and be truthful, but you're NOT required to have any "documentation", which HAS been used AGAINST a seller in the past.

Thanks for the information, but I don't remember saying "that's dangerous?". I have actually never sold anything other than on ebay and that was via snail mail.

AlpineM2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2020
    San Antonio
    I will typically do any online face to face transactions in a public place, in the day time. Parking lot of a Home Depot, etc.
    if you are the seller, stay in contact via text/call on day of sale. Get/give vehicle info ( color/model)so you will know who to look for. Get there first and if the person looks shady or sets off your spidey sense, drive away.
    I am thinking of selling my Sig P226, good advice. TY

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I’ve sold several guns on www.texasgunteader.com

I generally try this forum first, and have sold one here, but there is a much wider audience at the website above. Lots of lowball offers, but I’ve always gotten my asking prices. And the two Shields I sold recently had a LOT of replies for asking price (I sold 2 used Gen 1 9MM for $275 each). Everything I’ve sold has gone within a week (lately overnight)!

I meet the sellers in a public place during daylight hours. Never had an issue thus far.

Consignments in good shops are great when traffic is heavy (like now) but probably sucked pre-COVID.

Just my free advice....got what ya paid for...

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Legally there is no paperwork required for a private gun sale in Texas.
    Some guys are paranoid about the gun being misused so they want a record they sold the thing to an identifiable person. This is why some insist on a Bill of Sale.
    I'm not going to go into all the asshattery the B.o.S. always starts up just do what you're comfortable with.
    Where you do the hand off is entirely up to you and the buyer.
    Typically I ask to meet in a public place mutually distant from each other. Usually somewhere easy to find, Wal-Mart, Academy, etc.
    Some towns police depts. have a spot out front just for this.
    I strongly recommend you DO NOT allow an unknown person to know your home address.

Also when the deal is done make sure they do not follow you home! I had someone try that on me.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have bought and sold many guns over the years. Never had a single issue with any of those transactions. In fact, I have made a few new friends out of the deal.

Top Bottom