• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    She needs to hold off on buying a home defense gun until she's comfortable shooting and handling firearms, then she pretty much needs to buy what she's most comfortable using. You never know, she might turn out to be a dead shot with a pistol.
    Totally agree. Way too many variables to simply say one type of firearm is best for a person.
    Target Sports

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Depends on location and expected events.

I like a good 20ga pump. First two #4 Buck. Then slugs.

Will take care of noisome two legged pests...and if there is a nocturnal visit of porcine critters? The slugs work wonders...

Takes MUCH LESS effort to become "satisfactory" with a shotgun, than with a pistol...

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Oddly enough, a pistol has always been my 'go to' if I want a self defense weapon, especially indoors. It's easily used with one hand, hard for an assailant to grab, and doesn't get caught up in confined spaces. From a standpoint of having control of my weapon and ease of bringing it into use, it's still the way I lean for most situations.

Redarrow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2023
    I used to work at Bass Pro selling guns and had this conversation with many couples. My best suggestion is a Winchester SXP pump shotgun in 20 gau. Short stock, light weight, light recoil, and doesnt endanger whats on the other side of the walls as much

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    The mental aspect is probably one of the bigger factors that needs to be addressed. In a self-defense situation, one must come to terms with the possibility of taking another person's life. Some people can never grasp this, and if they can't owning or having a gun could be a bad decision, and a weapon that could be very easily used against them.

Giving that, there are other options that should be considered, such as pepper spray, taser, or a very bright flashlight with strobe function.

I agree with this.

It depends on the individual - man or woman and at ANY size.

Old Lady Cate

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    I use 1 or 2 of the bolt action RIFLES that I gave my husband but I can still use them.

CZ 457 Lux in 22wmr or in 22lr for a 'house gun' now.

I used to use HANDGUNS the most for house protection and for other protection when I owned handguns.

Before I bought my first CF rifle out west, I only bought and owned 3 rifles back east from the late 90's until I moved.

Browning BL 22, Winchester 94-22 and a Marlin Papoose - take-down (22lr) black composite and stainless steel semi automatic rifle with the BLUE floating bag. That was the ONLY semi automatic rifle that I ever chose to buy and own for myself and I am 73 years old now.

Handguns were my THING in CF and in RF.

I never bought a CF rifle until I moved out west. I had shot some before in my former state and in a FEW other states but I never bought or owned one of my own until I moved.

I do not hunt. I have nothing against hunting. I did USE a CF handgun, a RF handgun and a 30-30 Winchester caliber rifle - CT Made Marlin - 336C and a couple of other CF rifles for woods/wilderness protection too. OUT here and in WY for a couple of trips.

The very FIRST CF RIFLE that I ever shot was in Colorado.

Back east, I did shoot some other CF rifles at my former, rural, outdoor range - Sportsman's Club and at other events including out here.

The INDOOR RANGE that I used to use which was connected to my former small gun store, back east, only allowed RF RIFLES at their range even though they allowed Large CF caliber handguns. Back stop issues, etc.

I accept my age related issues, my old accident issues and flareups, my range of motion issues from that OLD accident and bad fall, my arthritis and some disabilities now at my age so I USE what suits me NOW even though I could shoot other firearms VERY well and in the PAST.

I never had a BIG recoil sensitive issue when it came to my OWN CHOICES in CF handguns and in CF rifles. I knew what I liked in all ways.

I did have some strength issues since I never made a FULL recovery when it came to that BAD FALL and broken bones in my arm, nerve damage, in a plaster cast from my shoulder to my wrist, etc. I had to learn how to use my FINGERS and not just my wrist and ARM again. Plus I 'rolled' from my horrific fall body wise but I did NOT hit my head.

I did TRY OUT some other guns in other calibers IF they interested me and found out that I did NOT like the LOOKS OF THEM worse off their Caliber or HOW they shot for ME.

I chose what I liked in ALL WAYS.

Ladies and gentlemen at any age and as a NEWBIE or OLDIE in firearms and with or without ANY disability should choose their OWN GUNS.

And if they feel that they can't or will NOT choose to STOP AN ATTACKER who intends them harm by squeezing the trigger in a safe, sane and proficient manner - they NEED TO FIGURE OUT HOW they can stop an attack and with what TOOL that they CAN and WILL USE.

Plus they need to figure out their HOME DEFENSE situation in ALL WAYS including if they still own a dog, live alone or with one other person or if they have KIDS around or not.

Etc.!

Old Lady Cate

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    My old HOUSE GUN as I called IT that I did NOT OWN and belonged to my late husband was a SWEET, smooth, tack driving and BEAUTIFUL wood grip - walnut (?) and blued steeled, d/a revolver in the Dan Wesson BRAND NAME.

I do not remember the DW MODEL now but it was a famous CLASSIC MODEL according to him and from what I read in the PAST.

IT was VERY well balanced.

IT was heavy but NOT too heavy.

IT was NOT too big for my hands even though I have average hands for a smaller and 5' 3" tall lady.

IT was in 357Magnum caliber.

IT had a 6 or 6.5 inch barrel.

IT was beautiful. BEAUTIFUL!

We had 357Magnum and 38Special ammunition for it on hand.

Once he got out of the USN, Nam and all around the world, and after my late Mom died back on the East Coast, we moved to his home state in the Great Lakes region.

Once he got OFF living on the destroyer and back to his own state - he bought that DW handgun and a couple of other 357 Magnum and 22lr handguns and rifles. He ONLY owned 2 calibers in his life and about 5 guns TOTAL in his life by CHOICE.

I considered that DW d/a revolver for a HOUSE GUN and he had me shoot it, I did NOT shoot it a lot, explain it, load and unload it, taught me safety issues, etc.

So from the time when he bought that gun or a couple of years down the road from the time of PURCHASE time, I considered it my house gun.

And this was LONG, LONG BEFORE I bought my own guns and got INTO guns big time. Long before I studied some more, shopped some more, shot other guns, rented a few, etc. which was in the LATE 90's and not when I was a younger lady.

I came home from work and loaded it. I unloaded it before he or I went to work.

It was kept secure even though we LOCKED our doors, lived in the boonies and had one or more dogs = female GOOD STOCK - well bred German Shepherds and, later on a GS and a pound puppy Samoyed at one time.

I had it close to me when I was home or in bed. I kept it close to me when I slept in the downstairs den - first floor when he was 'overseas' or stateside with the Air NG Fighter Wing too. Plus one time when he was on another shift - NON .gov job.

I do believe that d/a revolvers and even SINGLE ACTION revolvers are good for a NEWBIE to learn. CF or RF and it depends on the individual.

I only like a FEW and VERY specific semi automatic pistols, I LOVE the GENERATION 3 Glock 19 pistol = the FIRST GUN for MYSELF and hands.

I LOVE Smith and Wesson d/a CF and RF revolvers and 2 of their pistols.

I LOVE Ruger single action revolvers in 45Long Colt and 357Magnum BLACKHAWK models. Plus the RUGER single six convertibles in 22lr and 22wmr.

I would suggest these and specific CF and RF lever action and RF bolt action rifles to any man or woman but when it comes down to IT and their own likes and needs - it is UP TO THEM. They have to make their own decision.

Just don't put a handgun in a VERY LIGHT WEIGHT FRAME with a large caliber in some Newbies hands.

MY opinion - your mileage may vary - NO problem!

I know some men (NOT my husband or CLOSE GUN FRIENDS.) who thought that they wanted a light weight frame and when they shot their handgun with a MUCH larger CF caliber in THAT LIGHT WEIGHT FRAME - they could not control it or THEY shot all over the place. PLUS IT HURT THEIR HANDS. They could only practice with it for a short time or they hated to practice with the GUN that everyone TOLD them that they should own and carry.

Old Lady Cate

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    For centuries the shotgun has been the go to weapon for home defense. But what about the AR-15? Massad Ayoob examines the advantages an AR15 has for home defense.

I like his description that the AR-15 platform rifle is a 'pool gun'. Greater chance of entire household being able to safely and accurately use it.

Wataman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2024
    Texas
    This one

Attachments

• IMG_9856.jpeg
      IMG_9856.jpeg
      295.9 KB · Views: 11
    Top Bottom