ARJ Defense ad

Best cost effective 22LR for Range Training?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    Houston
    Gentlemen, Target Sports USA is running specials for prime members today for Prime Day. Among them are .22LR CCI SV and Federal Champion 40gr at 6.2 cents per round. Thunderbolts are available at the same price. Best prices I've seen in several months...
    LOL, I'm an avid prime member on "Amazon" does that count? ;-)
    Texas SOT

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Gentlemen, Target Sports USA is running specials for prime members today for Prime Day. Among them are .22LR CCI SV and Federal Champion 40gr at 6.2 cents per round. Thunderbolts are available at the same price. Best prices I've seen in several months...

CCI SV from the factory is 4.9cpr + tax & shipping came out to 6.7cpr.

RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    CCI SV from the factory is 4.9cpr + tax & shipping came out to 6.7cpr.
    Quite right. TSUSA deal only "good" if you have the TSUSA Prime membership, but with that there is no shipping cost and no limit. Factory limits orders to 10 boxes (one brick). TSUSA offers by the box or 5000 round case, and again, no limits. :)

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Quite right. TSUSA deal only "good" if you have the TSUSA Prime membership, but with that there is no shipping cost and no limit. Factory limits orders to 10 boxes (one brick). TSUSA offers by the box or 5000 round case, and again, no limits. :)

Just threw it out there for comparison. I will buy the CMP Eley Club cases when they are available, but the Target Sports member ship is better then factory right now.

What does a prime membership there cost? I know there everyday prices have a prime discount, too.

RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Just threw it out there for comparison. I will buy the CMP Eley Club cases when they are available, but the Target Sports member ship is better then factory right now.

What does a prime membership there cost? I know there everyday prices have a prime discount, too.
    If I recall, Prime is $95/year. Results in 8% discount and free shipping on all orders (even single boxes). Can and do find cheaper ammo from other vendors off and on, but during the height of the pandemic craziness, I "saved" back the cost of membership MANY times over (grin). No discount on primers, and they were selling them at rape prices (still are): $600/5000!!

RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Hmmmm. What am I doing wrong? All I see is just the usual $5/box (50).
    Got a link? Thx!
    @BBL, I think you're correct. CCI site shows $4.99/box of 50, limit 10. If you order 10, shipping to TX is $12, so $61.90 for a brick of 500 or ~12 CPR.

TSUSA still has the Federal Champion and Thunderbolts still (CCI SVs are gone) for $30.80 a brick, or $308/5000 with free shipping and no limits. $25.41 in tax, so $333.41 for 5000 (6.7 cents per round delivered).

Reactions: BBL

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Hmmmm. What am I doing wrong? All I see is just the usual $5/box (50).
    Got a link? Thx!

Nothing. I divided by a thousand not remembering the brick limit. This was my last order back from federal on 1/28/22…when I open a brick I replace same day.
    16353be0a2bf92412f00c30eca99f9ae.jpg

HPFlashman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2020
    Northwest Florida
    For the best cost effective .22 LR ammo for any use, my criteria is reliability in feed and ejection, that it goes Bang! every time. That'll vary if you own a lot of .22 rifles and pistols. Revolvers don't care much. If I get reliability in function then I can get pickier about performance down range. .22 LR ammo can be a fickle thing if you have a dozen .22 semi-auto pistols and rifles.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Speaking only and specifically to ammo used, there is a significant difference between SV and HV ammo performance. The only HV ammo I have used lately with impressive results is federal auto match. Bought a bunch at Walmart for 21.16/325 + tax. It's rated at 1200 fps. SV ammo is far and away more accurate but will drop big time beyond 100 yards.

I'm shooting 10/22s with 18 or 20" barrels. I typically stay within 50 yards knowing the round just has it's limitations. Dialed in a 50 yards I get 8" more drop at 100 with SV ammo. So if you really want to shoot that far just take in mind aside from every other factor, that cartridge was never intended for long range shooting. I can shoot 5 shot 1" groups @100 with SV ammo but I doubt you could do it with any kind of wind beyond 100 yards.

The best SV ammo pound for pound was wolf ME and MT when they were produced by SK in Germany now it's mostly overpriced garbage except for Lapua midas or RWS R100.

RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    The best SV ammo pound for pound was wolf ME and MT when they were produced by SK in Germany now it's mostly overpriced garbage except for Lapua midas or RWS R100.
    Interestingly, I believe the Wolf Match Target and Match Extra are now being produced under contract by Eley (even has the E stamped on the cartridge). SHOULD indicate that it's good, but... Federal Champion 40 gr was more consistent out of my CZ457 than either of the new Wolf cartridges. True Eley Match or Tenex, etc. is far better.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've read a bunch about how the eley produced wolf mt and me aren't what they used to be. Tenex has always been reliable too. Naturally every rifles is a bit different but everything I owned has shot the SK branded ammo well.

Top Bottom