• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I did some threads like this some years ago on another forum, or two! And they are purely subjective and of personal preference, so there isn't a right or wrong answer to this. Just more for fun and information for others on the subject.

I like to sort of limit it to the five best, with maybe an honorable mention or two, and in no particular order. I had planned on starting doing a few of these threads yesterday evening, but things got sidetracked a bit.

Here are my five top best BA rifles.
    1. Remington Model 700
    2. Ruger Model 77. (the older tang-safety version.)
    3. Winchester Model 70.
    4. Springfield Model 1903.
    5. Mauser K98.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Good list. I wanted a 1903 for the longest time but my attention turned to getting a 1917. Love how they look.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Good list. I wanted a 1903 for the longest time but my attention turned to getting a 1917. Love how they look.
    For a long time, there were many 1903 rifles that were sporterized over the years. They made excellent hunting and target rifles. They I fear are slipping into where finding one that has been kept original may be getting harder to find and then commanding premium prices. I saw that happen with the Mosin rifles! Use to you get them for about $60. But they have sort of dried up now, and the prices are getting much higher. A few years ago, my LGS had a few that were right out of the crate, and he was selling them for $220. Which wasn't too unreasonable at the time.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I’m biased as hell but would never say there is a best. One I would never own again would be Remington. Very bad CS back in the mid 80s to early 90s. I know the freedom group owns the name and that just makes it worse.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I’m biased as hell but would never say there is a best. One I would never own again would be Remington. Very bad CS back in the mid 80s to early 90s. I know the freedom group owns the name and that just makes it worse.
    I agree. Since they joined the Freedom Group, quality it seems took a nosedive. I try to stick with the older Model 700's before 2000 if possible. And when the Freedom Group and Remington bought Marlin, they discontinued a great inexpensive bolt action made by Marlin, the X7 series. Luckily, I have three of them. Very good rifles.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

IF I was seeking a bolt-action rifle to shoot/hunt with, it would be a "late model" K98 "clone" made by the national armory of Serbia. - I was told by a "person, who is supposed to know" that the rifles were made to issue to the Serbian Border Police.
    (As I'm a "wrong-handed guy", I won't be buying a BA, unless I can find a S-A era "Spanish Scorpion" for my collection.)
    I recently saw a "near new" Serbian version of the 98K Mauser from 2010 & it is "just beautiful" & NOT at all what I expect a military/police issue rifle to look like.

yours, satx

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Most bolt actions began as military rifles.
    The M1898 Mauser has been used for over 100 years to build out some of the most refined sporting rifles ever produced.
    Rigby, Jeffery’s, Holland& Holland ring a bell?
    The 1903 Springfield was so much a copy of the Mauser that the U.S. paid royalties to Mauser in the years prior to WW1.
    The M1917 U.S. Enfield was a retooled British design known as the Pattern 14.
    This was an “improved” Mauser. Even the Brits saw the advantages of the Mauser design and were working toward replacing their No.3 Enfield when WW1 broke out and stopped them.
    The 1917’s were used for decades to build out amazing dangerous game rifles in very heavy calibers.
    Even the much vaunted M70 Winchester came from the M98.

The Remington 700 is popular because its available and affordable. It can be built into a wonderfully accurate rifle.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Moonpie,

My "love affair" with the old-school 9.3x62mm began with shooting/hunting with a college chum's US Rifle Model of 1917 that was re-bored to that GREAT caliber.
    (Karl M_________ was an exchange student from RSA & he said that he could think of NO African game that the 9.3x62mm would not efficiently collect.)

Fwiw, my "go to" rifle for hunting anything larger/tougher than WT is a 1960s Remington Model 760 that was re-bored to the old 9.3x62 Mauser caliber from .30-06. - It is fitted with a "garage sale" LEOPOLD 2X scope, to help out these 73YO eyes.
    (MONEY would NOT buy it.)

For WT, my scoped Model 760 (from the 1950s) in .300SAV is my other "pet". - It wears an equally old 2.5X REDFIELD, as I don't see open sights well at all, even with my glasses.

yours, satx

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    We’re they built off a R700 action or the ones built off a Mauser auction?

They both have a Remington 700 footprint.
    My Shilen DGR action has a Savage style floating bolt head,and 90* bolt throw.
    My ARC Nucleus action is kind of a hybrid. It has a controlled round feed extractor, Springfield style ejection, 3 toroidal locking lugs,and 80* bolt throw.

Both have the Savage style barrel threads,and accept Remington style trigger's. They fit in any style of stock or chassis for a Remington 700.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I did some threads like this some years ago on another forum, or two! And they are purely subjective and of personal preference, so there isn't a right or wrong answer to this. Just more for fun and information for others on the subject.

I like to sort of limit it to the five best, with maybe an honorable mention or two, and in no particular order. I had planned on starting doing a few of these threads yesterday evening, but things got sidetracked a bit.

Here are my five top best BA rifles.
    1. Remington Model 700
    2. Ruger Model 77. (the older tang-safety version.)
    3. Winchester Model 70.
    4. Springfield Model 1903.
    5. Mauser K98.

I think you're pretty well aware that I'm partial to military actions. I have a special appreciation for cock on close actions like the Lee Enfield and my Husqvarna which I believe is built off of a Swedish Mauser receiver (Model 94?). I love how fast and slick they are.

As far as commercial guns go, I love my 700 but I doubt I will be buying any more do their their lack of quality. Unless of course I just happen to find an older one in some caliber that I just really want. If I was buying new, I'd go with a Savage, Tikka, or Bergara. I do like my T/C compass though. There's something to be said of a sub $300 rifle capable of sub MOA (in some case, sub 1/2 MOA) groups. I'ts not pretty, the factory stock is flimsy, and the trigger needs a little bit of work (a cheap fix for a half decent trigger), but damn if it doesn't shoot well.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I think you're pretty well aware that I'm partial to military actions. I have a special appreciation for cock on close actions like the Lee Enfield and my Husqvarna which I believe is built off of a Swedish Mauser receiver (Model 94?). I love how fast and slick they are.

As far as commercial guns go, I love my 700 but I doubt I will be buying any more do their their lack of quality. Unless of course I just happen to find an older one in some caliber that I just really want. If I was buying new, I'd go with a Savage, Tikka, or Bergara. I do like my T/C compass though. There's something to be said of a sub $300 rifle capable of sub MOA (in some case, sub 1/2 MOA) groups. I'ts not pretty, the factory stock is flimsy, and the trigger needs a little bit of work (a cheap fix for a half decent trigger), but damn if it doesn't shoot well.

Personally, I have no desire to own the older military surplus rifles. I enjoy shooting them though! They are also interesting from a historical point as well.

But my fascination and appreciation for bolt action rifles goes way back to many years before I actually shot one, or even owned my first one. My father having been a member of the NRA as far back as I can remember, had gotten the magazine American Rifleman for a great number of years. He use to get quite upset with me when I was a youngster for "borrowing" when it arrived every month before he got a chance to read it!

My favorites in magazine were always the custom built bolt action hunting rifles. To me they were some of the most beautiful pieces of art I had ever seen. In many ways, they influenced my rifle buying decisions for many years. Even today, bolt action rifles are still a large percentage of my collection, and probably always will be.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Personally, I have no desire to own the older military surplus rifles. I enjoy shooting them though! They are also interesting from a historical point as well.

But my fascination and appreciation for bolt action rifles goes way back to many years before I actually shot one, or even owned my first one. My father having been a member of the NRA as far back as I can remember, had gotten the magazine American Rifleman for a great number of years. He use to get quite upset with me when I was a youngster for "borrowing" when it arrived every month before he got a chance to read it!

My favorites in magazine were always the custom built bolt action hunting rifles. To me they were some of the most beautiful pieces of art I had ever seen. In many ways, they influenced my rifle buying decisions for many years. Even today, bolt action rifles are still a large percentage of my collection, and probably always will be.

There was a rifle I was trying to win in an auction a few years back. It was a German Guild rifle. To say it was beautiful was an understatement. It was a Mauser action with a beautifully carved stock and engraved metal. It had double set trigger, and was chambered for the .318" 8mm Mauser. Someone spent a long time hand building that rifle.

There's something really special about those custom hunting rifles.

I really wish I had won that auction.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    By pure volume, there is only one winner...
    SLG-RMN9130__44135.1544726328.jpg

37,000,000 (+/-) examples can't be beat!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom