• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I've been running through numerous types of .22 ammo trying to find the best, and the best bang for the buck ammo out there. Here are my findings to date.

For background purposes, the gun is a box stock Ruger 10/22 Target model which has a heavy barrel, lighter factory trigger, and a lamninated stock. The gun has a Redfield 4x12-40mm scope on it with Leupold base and rings. I am a competant shooter, but by no means are you going to see me in the next Winter Games.

1022.jpg

Aguila

Aguila Supermaximum Hypervelocity - I wish they would have spent more time thinking of better ways to manage it's accuracy than it's catchy 1980s name. It shot worse than most bulk ammo, but with the velocity it has, it's gotta have nice results on critters.

Winchester

Winchester Super-X HP - This ammo shot decent enough for squirrals and other small game inside of 50 yards. It shot groups the size of a baseball at 50 yards which is unacceptable for target shooting in my opinion.

Remington

Remington Match Rifle by Eley -
    I was expecting near EPS level of accuracy but the ammo seemed to want to open up more than the EPS at 100 yards. Inside of 100 yards I got pretty repeatable 1/2 MOA groups. Main difference being that this bullet is a RN rather than the EPS style bullet you find on Tenex and Match.

Remington Match EPS by Eley
    - This ammo has shot the best through the gun to date. There were a few failures to feed which is largely due to the shape of the bullet, but otherwise they went off without a hitch. I got roughly 1/2 MOA at 50 yards, and 0.88 MOA at 100 yards.

Remington Golden Sabers - I've always known this ammo to shoot decent enough to shoot critters at 50 yards, and that's about what I got out of it. There were alot of fliers and inconsistent velocities out of this ammo. I could hear about one in four not breaking the sound barrier which leads me to believe that Remington has some quality control issues on it's priming or load. You can see the two that did not break the sound barrier on the group. They are conclusive with the slower velocity ammo from CCI in where they printed (down and left).

Remington Thunderbolts - I read an old article regarding ammo testing with a chrono and empirical results with a Ruger 10/22 and the Thunderbolts that said they were "an excellent bargain for the performance". Unfortunately I could not duplicate the results of that test. In fact, they shot worse than anything I've shot through the gun to date.

CCI

CCI Standard Velocity - Someone mentioned on Rimfire Central that these were a good performing round in their Ruger, and I'd have to agree. I shot 4 groups with this ammo and they were all as good as the one pictured. Very consistant placement and grouping. I would recommend this ammo for an easy to find, and affordable box o' fun.

CCI Blazer - This is our standard range ammo we've used for years. It gives us very little problems other than being a bit on the dirty side in all of our rental guns, and from the results I got today, it's an affordable plinking choice.

CCI Velocitor - The Velocitors were a recommendation by a friend of mine that also has a heavy barrel 10/22. If I were to of gone off a 5-shot string these easily would have measured about 1/2" MOA. They are fast, loud, and are copper coated which makes them a good varmint round, but they double in the accuracy department also. These were the most accurate I've ran to date.

CCI MiniMags - The group is not pictured but results were on par with the Blazer. One thing I did notice about the Minimags is the number of fliers was substantially higher than the other CCI products I've ran through the gun.

Fiocchi

Fiocchi M320 Match - This shot really well out of my pistol, but really had some issues out of my rifle. It's got an EPS style bullet, and looks like Eley, but shoots nothing like it. I managed a best of a 3 MOA group from several groups at 50 yards with alot of diagonal stringing which leads me to believe that I have a harmonic issue with the combination of the gun and ammo. If the batch were sped up or slowed down a good 20 FPS then it'd probably shoot better. It might fair better out of a shorter barrel gun.

Federal

Federal Lightning - This ammo shot on par with other cheaper ammos I've shot, which compared to alot of the other ones out there isn't bad by any stretch! I got a group the size of a golf ball (~2.0 - 2.5 MOA) at 50 yards. That's good enough to do just about anything, and accurate enough to have some fun with.

American Eagle by Federal - Again, another affordable and widely available round for plinking. It shot as well as the Blazer and Lightning, which is plenty good out to 50 yards. For the cost to return ratio, it wouldn't hurt to buy some.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'll update this as I go ... if anyone wants to donate a box of ammo to the cause, check the list for what I've not ran through the gun and PM me for my mailing address.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I have had really good results from the Federal 550 bulck pack. I am shooting it out of my 10/22 Target Tactical, I have not strretched out past 50 yards yet though. I am also getting good results from the CCI Standard Velocity. I have a few others I have tried, including some pretty hot Aguila and some Ely, but as far as run of the mill the two mentioned above seem to do well enough for squirel patrol....

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I have had really good results from the Federal 550 bulck pack. I am shooting it out of my 10/22 Target Tactical, I have not strretched out past 50 yards yet though. I am also getting good results from the CCI Standard Velocity. I have a few others I have tried, including some pretty hot Aguila and some Ely, but as far as run of the mill the two mentioned above seem to do well enough for squirel patrol....

I have the following that I'm trying tomorrow:

SK Standard Plus (Aka Wolf Match)
    RWS Target
    CCI Green Tag
    Federal 550 Bulk
    Federal Auto-Match 333 Bulk

Hopefully a few of those will shoot well. I might need to clean the gun again before I try them out.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Wolf MT is da' bomb. I haven't put any green tag through any of mine yet but I do have high expectations for it. I also highly recommend the purple box eley sport, tight groups and priced to shoot all day long. I have also had damn good results w/fed 550 bulk packs. So far, for the money the wolf mt is worth every penny. Thanks for doin' some independent testing. If you are having trouble locating eley sport, I'll pony up a box for you to test out. You'll have to pick it up at my workplace if you are interested(2407 W.Howard Ln, I'm now at protech auto). PM me or call 733-8324 and ask for John.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I've used lots of different .22s over the years and I have to say that the Remingtons were never as good as the other major brands. My Ruger Mark I has always been partial to CCI Stingers, but I've never noticed any particularly better performance in other guns.

Lastshot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Texas
    I have had good luck with wolf .22 match ammo. the CCI green is overpriced for what you get, it is on par withthe CCI SV stuff, (which shoots acceptable in all my rimfires). There are a lot of people that shoot CCI mini-mags as a standard hunting round. Best accuracy will be from subsonic rounds though.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Wolf MT is da' bomb. I haven't put any green tag through any of mine yet but I do have high expectations for it. I also highly recommend the purple box eley sport, tight groups and priced to shoot all day long. I have also had damn good results w/fed 550 bulk packs. So far, for the money the wolf mt is worth every penny. Thanks for doin' some independent testing. If you are having trouble locating eley sport, I'll pony up a box for you to test out. You'll have to pick it up at my workplace if you are interested(Urban Moto at 600 S Lamar). PM me or call 535-6144 and ask for John.

Might hit you up on that, it's kinda hard for me to get around though.

You could always bring them to Red's South and say they are for Alan.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Just spent in a few hours and a few hundred rounds of various .22 busting clays at 150 yards with mine, favorites so far are the Federal 550 and the CCI Standard Velocity....

eclipse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Grapevine
    As others have said the Wolfe MT is excellent ammo. I have not found anty 22 that it does not shoot well in.

A real sleeper is the American Eagle in the red box. Most places stock it in the 40 round individual boxes and 400 round bricks. You can find it in the 50/500 round offerings if you look though.

I get the 400 round bricks at Cabelas. I believe it is 21.99 per brick. I usually pickup 3 - 4 bricks at a time.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Every .22 is different but here were my results:

Outdoor at 25 yards
    Rifle=Marlin 7000T: Scope=Simmons 6-24x Prohunter: Rest=MTM Caseguard Predator
    Weather= 71 degrees, sunny, minimal wind
    E2E C2C $/RND Brand Subjective
    0.437 0.312 $0.05 Wolf Match Target Excellent
    0.437 0.312 $0.09 CCI Green Tag Excellent
    0.531 0.406 $0.02 Remmington Thunderbolt Solid
    0.562 0.437 $0.04 Remmington Target Should have measured more groups. Think this is worse. Lots of fliers
    0.593 0.468 $0.07 CCI Velocitors Seemed better, seemed like 3rd best for consistency
    0.687 0.562 $0.02 Dynapoints Nice for bulk occasional fliers
    0.687 0.562 $0.04 CCI Mini Mags Solid
    0.781 0.656 $0.03 Winchester Wildcats Tons of fliers
    0.968 0.843 $0.02 Remington Golden Bulk Best was 0.687 (.562)
    0.968 0.843 $0.04 Winchester Super X Should have measured more groups. Think this is better.
    1.031 0.906 $0.02 Federal Lightning Lots of fliers
    1.25 1.125 $0.05 Federal Gold Medal No real group - All fliers

0.313 0.187 $0.15 SK Match 50: Very Nice
    0.344 0.218 $0.13 Lapua Master M: M better in both midas and master
    0.344 0.218 $0.19 Lapua Midas M: M better in both midas and master
    0.375 0.250 $0.03 PMC Zapper: AMAZING, especially for the $$!!
    0.375 0.250 $0.07 Eley Target: Not bad for theire mid-grade ammo
    0.406 0.281 $0.13 Lapua Master L: L good, M better
    0.406 0.281 $0.19 Lapua Midas L: L good, M better
    0.438 0.312 $0.08 Lapua Super Club: Good value for Lapua
    0.438 0.312 $0.08 SK Match: Better price than the 50, but not as tight
    0.500 0.375 $0.13 RWS Rifle Match: Disapointing
    0.500 0.375 $0.22 Eley Tennex: Expensive, and not worth it in my gun
    0.563 0.437 $0.04 CCI Standard: Solid
    0.625 0.500 $0.02 Dynapoints: Nice for bulk occasional fliers
    0.656 0.531 $0.07 SK Rifle Match: Wow, big drop in groups for small drop in $
    0.719 0.593 $0.08 Eley Club Extra: Because of a flier, 0.531 E2E without - might have been me?
    0.844 0.718 $0.07 CCI Stinger: Bad groups, shoots high, probably from the extra power

E2E = Edge to Edge C2C = Center to Center
    All 10-shot groups

So let see...for cheap...my 7000 likes PMC zappers...yeah they dont make those any more. The best was SK Match 50...yeah they don't import those anymore.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    My 10-22 with the GM bull barrel does not shoot any bulk stuff accurate. The best I have shot so far is with 40 gr. LRN Lapua Center X, Wolf Match Target, Eley Match, Federal Champion, and CCI Mini Mags. Although not as good as the first three, the Federal Champion and Mini-Mags gave me good results for inexpensive ammo. I have also gotten good results with 30 gr HP Aquila Super Max.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I bought 5000 rounds of Remington Thunderbolt's. Then I read about someone having all kinds of problems with them. They're wax coated and the wax built up on the bore and ruined his pistol. Looked like a Ruger MkII. He also got a lot of misfires. Google "Remington Thunderbolt wax ruined" and you might find the post with pics.

I haven't had the buildup he told us about but my rifle is pretty dirty after shooting them and I do get two or three missfires (hangfires?) per 100 rounds as well as a couple of stove pipes but they're a cheap and fun plinking round. I think they'd be okay for hunting small game but I wouldn't want to depend on them.

When I shoot these up, I'll purchase something else.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Our group shoots clays at 200 yards. The Federal 550 bulk rounds have variable charges. One goes POP and the next goes BANG. That raises heck with vertical point of impact. Our best has been Remington 550 bulk. There will be NO match bullets fired out of my rifles. I buy bulk only.

Flash

nolanwb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Rowlett, Texas
    I'll update this as I go ... if anyone wants to donate a box of ammo to the cause, check the list for what I've not ran through the gun and PM me for my mailing address.

Just finished building a custom 10/22 with Green River heavy fluted stainless barrel..etc. I'm going to try the Wolf match ammo. Not the expensive match, the cheaper one. I hear great things about it. But, since I haven't shot any...??

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Just finished building a custom 10/22 with Green River heavy fluted stainless barrel..etc. I'm going to try the Wolf match ammo. Not the expensive match, the cheaper one. I hear great things about it. But, since I haven't shot any...??

I'd like to see that. Got any photos of it?

mage2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    south of texas capitol
    mine eats and loves mini-mags, i have had it for awhile (was my first firearm purchase) and it eats just about anything but with mini-mags it does really well. I have tried the target wolf 22, its not bad either but its not plated so leaves her a little more dirty and they cost me more than they were worth for me. bulk stuff has always been hit or miss, the rounds bangin around loose in a box doesnt seem to help, and variable charges are just annoyin.

Top Bottom