• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    yup. i am aware of it but every eletronic device we have has tracking now. phones, watches, music systems with alexa or hey google, insurance apps. cars with touchscreen etc, arko or ring or other camera systems we use, internet service providers. there is no way we can avoid that tracking unless we stop using everything which is kinda impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tracking is one thing. Reading your emails and having direct, hosted access to your most essential business data is entirely another thing.
    Venture Surplus ad

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Since MS office is a subscription service now, what is the best free alternative for windows.

I’m not comfortable just downloading free software off the internet to see what works vs what will kill my computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using OpenOffice and have been for years. Pay to play services are for the birds. You get pretty much all the same utilities MS Office has - word processor, fully functional spreadsheet program, slide show creator, database builder, even a graphics tool. Free. No ifs ands or buts, free. No ads. Free.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    What bugs me about that is standard operating procedure (at least for Harris County Constables, as of the last time I was in a wreck) was to never access that data unless there had been death or serious injury during an accident.

I was (barely) involved in a 3-vehicle tie up on Beltway 8 at the toll plaza just west of I-45 on the north side of Houston. Since my car could still drive, the first Constable on the scene ordered me to proceed to the next exit, turn left, turn into the gas station parking lot, and wait. It took a couple of hours but the other wrecked cars were towed to the same spot. All the other people had left the scene in ambulances.

The Constable finally arrived and asked me what happened. I told him. He looked me dead in the eye and said "That story bears absolutely no resemblance to anything I heard from the other drivers and passengers. Here's a pen and paper. Go write down your statement and I'll make it a part of the accident report." It took forever but he left as soon as I gave him a written report.

Months later, both insurance companies of the other drivers deposed me because both parties were in disagreement over just about everything.

I told both sides the exact same thing. "Look at the Event Data Recorder <although I'm sure I called it something else>. I'll bet you dinner at Ruth's Chris that it will clearly show that the silver car had been exceeding 100 mph within 10 seconds prior to the crash. Also, I heard the silver car's engine rev to full acceleration just before the crash, so the EDC will also show the throttle position 1/10 of a second prior to impact as wide open. Besides, just looking at where the red car was hit, left or right rear corner, will tell you which side is lying. In my opinion, the silver car was completely at fault."

After the depositions were over, both sides opened up and told me the exact same things.
    • The EDC is never consulted except in the case of a death.
    • The on-scene Constable did not record which side of the red car was hit. Both guys agreed with me that if they had that information, the whole process would have been concluded weeks or months prior but since both cars had been junked and were no longer available, there was no way to go back and look. Nobody took any pictures at the scene.
    • The accident report had zero mention of my name and my written report was missing. They found me via my license plate number which was recorded in a single sentence saying a third vehicle was basically uninvolved but had minor damage.
    What good is an EDC if LEOs don't use it after most accidents?

PS - I hope SOPs for accident investigations have changed in the years since the incident described.
    The key ingrediant here is the "CONSTABLE" My experience with those people is that a mall security wannabe cop has more going on than a "Constable".

Top Bottom