Capitol Armory ad

Besides TX LTC, what other ones are beneficial? Do any cover Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blasternank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Keller (By Cabela's)
    I know back in the day people would teach a variety of other states concealed carry courses so you could be valid in more states that didn't recognize Texas LTC. Do you know of any courses around that do that? My parents live in Minnesota and while driving up there most states have reciprocity with Texas except Iowa and Minnesota. I also list Wisconsin as sometimes we drive over there while visiting my folks. Any help or info would be appreciated!

Thanks.
    Venture Surplus ad

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    You don't need reciprocity for Iowa -- "According to Iowa Law 724.11A Recognition, a valid permit or license issued by another state to any non-resident of this state, shall be considered to be a valid permit or license to carry weapons."

WI already honors TX permits: https://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/conceal-carry/reciprocity

For MN, next time you're up there, you can apply to any county Sheriff, and that Sheriff can choose to grant you a license to carry in MN -- the Sheriff has 30 days to grant or deny you the permit. You have to do it in person, and you are required to present evidence that you have received training in the safe use of a pistol from an organization or government entity that has been approved by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety in accordance with the department’s standards.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    I picked up Utah, because while Utah has reciprocity with Texas, Washington state does not, but Utah will give you reciprocity with Washington.

I picked up Illinois LTC, because Illinois has reciprocity with absolutely NO ONE, so if you want to go to Illinois, you will need their LTC. Also MN DOES NOT recognize Texas LTC either, but they will recognize Illinois. So once you have Illinois, you will gain the capability to carry in MN as well.

I also picked up CT. They do NOT have reciprocity with TX either, so if you want to carry in CT you need their license as well. It is fairly easy to get as well. Take your NRA basic pistol.

If you ever want to go to Maine, and you want to enjoy the outdoors and their state parks, you will need their LTC as well. Maine does not recognize Texas LTC either. While Maine is a constitutional carry state, they REQUIRE their LTC to carry concealed or openly within their state park system. So if you want to go to their state parks, you will need a Maine LTC. It is easy to get, take your NRA basic pistol.

Also pick up NH. It’s very easy, turn around time is 14 days not counting mail delays. If your TX license accidentally expires, it will CYA as Texas recognizes it. it’s also easy to get. No training needed.

Once you have these 5 licenses, plus Texas making 6. Your will be able to go to EVERY state that will recognize some other states LTC.

This leaves you with 8 states, that will not recognize TX LTC or any other states LTC and also will NOT allow you as a non-resident to get a license. Or the three that will... really won’t.

CA, OR, NY, NJ, HI. - No Non - Resident LTC and will not recognize any other states LTC.

MD, RI, MA, You can apply for a non-resident but unless your retired or active LEO, or Active Military, or Own property, or Own a business in the state, the chances of getting one are close to ZERO!

The only LTC courses I had to take is one for Utah, one for Illinois, and the NRA basic pistol course.

I had to go to Houston to find and take my Utah and Illinois classes. However, Illinois you apply online, and Utah application can be mailed in.

All the other states I mentioned that I got my license for are all mail in as well.

Last edited:

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I picked up Utah, because while Utah has reciprocity with Texas, Washington state does not, but Utah will give you reciprocity with Washington.

I picked up Illinois LTC, because Illinois has reciprocity with absolutely NO ONE, so if you want to go to Illinois, you will need their LTC. Also MN DOES NOT recognize Texas LTC either, but they will recognize Illinois. So once you have Illinois, you will gain the capability to carry in MN as well.

I also picked up CT. They do NOT have reciprocity with TX either, so if you want to carry in CT you need their license as well. It is fairly easy to get as well. Take your NRA basic pistol.

If you ever want to go to Maine, and you want to enjoy the outdoors and their state parks, you will need their LTC as well. Maine does not recognize Texas LTC either. While Maine is a constitutional carry state, they REQUIRE their LTC to carry concealed or openly within their state park system. So if you want to go to their state parks, you will need a Maine LTC. It is easy to get, take your NRA basic pistol.

Also pick up NH. It’s very easy, turn around time is 14 days not counting mail delays. If your TX license accidentally expires, it will CYA as Texas recognizes it. it’s also easy to get.

Once you have these 5 licenses, plus Texas making 6. Your will be able to go to EVERY state that will recognize somE other states LTC.

This leaves you with 8 states, that will not recognize any other states LTC and also will not allow you as a non-resident to get a license. Or the three that will... really won’t.

CA, OR, NY, NJ, HI.

MD, RI, MA, You can apply for a non-resident but unless your retired or active LEO, or Active Military, or Own propertyor a business in the state, the chances of getting one are close to ZERO!

The only LTC courses I had to take is one for Utah, Illinois, and the NRA basic pistol course.

I had to go to Houston to find and take my Utah and Illinois classes. However, Illinois you apply online, and Utah application can be mailed in.

All the other states I mentioned that I got my license for are all mail in as well.
    Great post!

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    I forgot to mention Washington D.C. They are shall issue. Not hard to get, other then taking the Laws course. You need to take the NRA basic pistol course, but then you need to take the DC laws course which has to be taught by a lawyer. It can’t be taken online, and I can’t find anyone in Texas to teach it.

Now if somehow you can find someone to teach you the law course. You can apply through the mail and get approved through the mail as well.

with one slight caveat.... you have to registerthe gun you plan to carry. You have to take an online course which takes about 30-45 min to complete. The caveat.... is that you have to register IN PERSON at the police station, with your firearm. You have to carry it to the police station, unloaded, in a locked case. Along with an EMPTY magazine if a semi auto. No live ammunition can be on your person. Leave ammunition in a locked case in your car. Process to register if their is no waiting line is about 1 hour.

one your handgun is registered you will then be allowed to legally carry.

keep in mind you can not carry inside any federal building, including the Smithsonian. So no monuments, no museums.
    Truthfully doesn’t really provide much space for you to carry. You also can not carry on the busses or train either.

So don’t take public transportation into Washington DC to register your handgun either.

With all this restrictions, I chose not to get my DC LTC

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Texasgrillchef is CORRECT about DC & MD, except that being on AD and/or owning a business in Maryland MAY NOT get you a carry license. - MD can be a REAL PITA.
    (When I stationed at Ft Meade, MD I also owned a small business in MD & I finally gave up trying to jump through all of the hoops that the MSP wanted me to jump through for a "may issue license".)

I also came to the same decision as he did reference a DC license, inasmuch as there is a SMALL amount of real estate in the District where you can lawfully carry
    AND
    IF you are military retired/reserve you cannot lawfully have a handgun in your POV, IF you are a military member on military posts, camps, stations & bases.

Inasmuch as I was a CID SAS, it really chaps me to NOT be able to carry concealed on Ft Sam Houston, Randolph AFB or any of the other federal posts around here. - Fwiw, I could/did carry my issued M1911 at FSH & Randolph when I was on AD for a lot of years but now as I'm retired I cannot carry my 9mm handgun.
    ONE PITA is that I have to return home to secure my handgun if I want to go to the post hospital/health clinic, class VI store, PX, etc.

Personally, once DJT is reelected, I'm hoping that he signs an executive order that AD/reserve/retired military personnel CAN lawfully carry concealed on ALL US military reservations, provided that they have a valid carry license in any US jurisdiction.
    (What I would REALLY like is for all HONORABLY discharged GIs to be able to carry on post, with a carry license OR a NATIONAL CARRY CONCEALED LICENSE be enacted.)

Note: Of course, I'm what the anti-gun types call a GUN NUT, as I want the NFA & all of the other federal "gun control" laws repealed FOREVER.

just my OPINIONS, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom