• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I have an unfired Silver Pigeon in 28 gage. I bought it to accompany a friend of mine to the Dallas Gun Club. Unfortunately he died on a family trip to Disney World before we got to go shoot. I love the 28 gage shotguns. They have the same diameter shot pattern as a 20 gage, but with less felt recoil. I no longer have a use for this shotgun. I thought I would post up here to see if there would be any interest in this shotgun before I officially post it in the For Sale section.
    Target Sports

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I have had other 28 gage O/U shotguns in the past. I am like you I love to hunt with one. The down side is you had better take more shells than you think you will need. It is hard to find 28 gage shells once you are out in the boonies. They are light to carry around and have a good shot pattern density. What else could you ask for?

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    They're really nice field guns if they are really built on a 28 gauge frame instead of on a 20 - which the Silver Pigeons are.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Silver Pigeon is offered in the “baby frame”, a true 28 gauge.
    The “baby frame” is used on the .410’s and 28/.410 combo guns. I think it’s only about 1/10” narrower than the 20.
    Most 28’s are built on the 20 gauge frame.
    I’ve been selling guns towards buying the little combo.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872027290
    Here are a few photos of a 686 Silver Pigeon 1 on this Gunmaster.com auction sale.

I like the slimmer frame with the 28" barrels. The barrels have screw-in chokes.
    There is noting worse than lugging a heavy shotgun around with you on opening day of dove season when the temps are near 100+ degrees.

Years ago I went on a dove hunt with my Father-in-law out near Abilene. I was hunting in a large sunflower field with two other guys. One of the guys shot a dove and it flew for a few yards and then dropped into the sunflowers. He couldn't find the bird on the ground. I offered to help. We both looked for about 10 minutes before we finally found it. It was 104 that day, so by the time we found the dove it had started to cook laying on the hot dirt.
    I remember because I was lugging a Remington 1100 auto. The 1100 is a great gun, but not in the sun on a 104 degree day.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I have a 28 gauge Citori that I shoot for dove and quail. Love that gun. Would use it for ducks if I could find #4 for it.
    I have a B-SS (side by side) in 12 ga and I always wanted a Citori to match it. They are nice guns and it would be my first O/U. Never done 28 ga, but it does have me adding it to that mental list...

Firecombs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2020
    DFW
    Yes... What are you asking for it. There may be interest, but you didn't list it in the sale forum, and you didn't list a asking price. *shrug*

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Yes, I think if you had posted pictures and a ballpark price, it would have helped any who had some interest.

And sorry about the loss of your friend.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Yeah, what they said.
    BTW I have a 28 ga CZ Redhead Premier that is a great gun, but I wouldn’t consider dove hunting with it. Hell I miss enough with 1-1/4 oz of 12ga!

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I hate to go through the process of taking photos. Then posting the photos and dialogue and have no interest. I had prefer to have anyone that might be interested contact me and then I can proceed.
    I will post the shotgun in the Guns For Sale section today.

Top Bottom