Hurley's Gold

Being in Network/Internet Security for 23 Years - It's my field to know these things. Familiarize yourself with this device.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sce.mag_tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2022
    Magnolia, TX
    And how do you protect your property from devices like these?

Here's a good start,

-Use a Wi-Fi Router that supports WPA3 encryption.
    -Any electronic device not made in the US to be on it's own VLAN (IoT devices including VoIP phones).
    -Get rid of anything with RFID technology (Including locks that require access cards).
    -Don't be fooled into using Smart electronic locks in your home. (including gun safes)
    -Start using a key to lock/unlock your vehicle doors.
    -Manually open your garage doors.
    -Get RFID blocking wallets or sleeves to protect your credit cards.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Here's a good start,

-Any electronic device not made in the US to be on it's own VLAN (IoT devices including VoIP phones).
    -Get rid of anything with RFID technology (Including locks that require access cards).
    -Don't be fooled into using Smart electronic locks in your home. (including gun safes)

WPA3 in our lab won't even withstand a 10 minute attack from someone that knows what they're doing.

That being said, most consumer network devices don't even have WPA3 capability yet, the only reason I'm exposed to it is I work with the engineering department at Dell LOL

EDIT -- Also if you know a way to disable the electronic locks on vehicles built after 2015 that would be interesting. I've plugged into the computer on my car it runs a linux variant and that part of the folder is read only without a dealer/manufacturer code. I'm afraid to enter the wrong code due to possibly being locked out.,

sce.mag_tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2022
    Magnolia, TX
    WPA3 in our lab won't even withstand a 10 minute attack from someone that knows what they're doing.

That being said, most consumer network devices don't even have WPA3 capability yet, the only reason I'm exposed to it is I work with the engineering department at Dell LOL

EDIT -- Also if you know a way to disable the electronic locks on vehicles built after 2015 that would be interesting. I've plugged into the computer on my car it runs a linux variant and that part of the folder is read only without a dealer/manufacturer code. I'm afraid to enter the wrong code due to possibly being locked out.,

Those recommendations are protection from the n00bs, the youngsters, the new generation of thieves (which are the majority).

The ones that have just gotten started since Covid and tools like these being readily available.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    The only sure fire way is not to radiate any energy that can be picked up. But who wants to go dark? I do what I can as a user, that is reasonable. Not being a high value internet target will discourage most of the technically advanced from pursuing me.

I just got pick pocketed at the Metro in Rome, Italy. Lost my whole wallet with complete ID including a Global Entry card, cash and cards (2). Within ten minutes of leaving the underground I had everything reported stolen and shutdown and replacements ordered for all ID and cards. Turned LifeLock on and froze all my credit. I only had 2 dollar something charges to dismiss. Nothing since. Replacements were waiting for me when I returned home. Thank God for working cell phones and internet access! I also have all my accounts set to notify me if any transaction occurs. Modern times.

sce.mag_tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2022
    Magnolia, TX
    The only sure fire way is not to radiate any energy that can be picked up. But who wants to go dark? I do what I can as a user, that is reasonable. Not being a high value internet target will discourage most of the technically advanced from pursuing me.

I just got pick pocketed at the Metro in Rome, Italy. Lost my whole wallet with complete ID including a Global Entry card, cash and cards (2). Within ten minutes of leaving the underground I had everything reported stolen and shutdown and replacements ordered for all ID and cards. Turned LifeLock on and froze all my credit. I only had 2 dollar something charges to dismiss. Nothing since. Replacements were waiting for me when I returned home. Thank God for working cell phones and internet access! I also have all my accounts set to notify me if any transaction occurs. Modern times.
    "Not being a high value internet target will discourage most of the technically advanced from pursuing me."

OP:

Personally, I enjoy pissing off technically advanced predators.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Here's a good start,

Also, to take things to the extreme, short of living in an underground Faraday cage: ;)
    • Don't use anything "SMART" (smart TV's, kitchen devices, fridges, freakin bluetooth-enabled egg trays lol)
    • Don't use WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, or anything else wireless
    • Don't use a router or NIC card that even has those features
    • Change default passwords (e.g. routers)
    • Make sure any devices have those features disabled
    • If you have a webcam or mic, keep them physically detached until needed
    • Use ethernet cables for everything, no wireless anything
    • Don't create your own passwords GENERATE them and store them in a desktop PW manager like Keepass. The idea being randomization, length, and complexity so math is on your side. Keep a backup on an encrypted offline USB stick.
    Pretty quickly this becomes a rabbit hole that's difficult to escape. The more you learn, the more dismal it gets I am sad to say. To put things in perspective, try a search on Shodan and see just how exposed people's devices are. It's eye-opening for sure.

In general, I'd say an easy strategy is to adopt more effort, discomfort, and lack of convenience. Also buy old and go analog where possible. Many of these vulnerabilities come from all of these little conveniences and automation features. The tech is hard to keep up with but, those few, simple, principles will go a long way towards helping avoid a lot of low barrier to entry vulnerabilities.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    You hammer this thing into the lock, give it a good twist with all your 'tard strength, and repeat the same on the steering column:

1671734074430.png

Brute force beats smarts.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Here's a good start,

Thanks for the constructive reply.

Doing pretty good for the most part.

Not really worried about someone hacking the garage door opener in my particular situation.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I'll add Wireshark

It's no conspiracy these devices made over-seas phone home; CCTV systems, VoIP Phones, Wi-Fi power switches...the list goes on.

Anyone can learn how to use Wireshark and see for yourself.
    Too lazy, quicker to just tcpdump. At least when I already know what I'm looking for.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom