• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OJ knives

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2017
    Nice work. My first knife took me a month to design. My friend( who was a knife maker) kept giving me ideas and showed me the subtle changes that would make it more pleasing to the eye.
    A good place to buy materials is Texas Knife Makers in Houston. They let you look at the bins in the back to choose your handle material.
    I might have a Damascus blank laying around somewhere, if I can locate it's yours.( I haven't seen it in over a year so it may take a while)
    Show us pics of your projects.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I like Damascus blades. Middle is stabilized Cherry. The one on the right is Butternut, a really nice wood.
    ec7b0c7b5ac22e1fe89e42a7793f752b.jpg

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ec7b0c7b5ac22e1fe89e42a7793f752b.jpg
      ec7b0c7b5ac22e1fe89e42a7793f752b.jpg
      90.4 KB · Views: 1,061

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Normally, $150 depending on the sheath you want. But I'll take 10% plus you choice of sheath.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    An update to this thread and what I have been doing.

At first I entertained the idea of buying a cheaper belt grinder from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool Supply, and looked at some of the nicer 2"x72" belt grinders. First, the cheaper ones just didn't seem very well made and well, cheap! The nicer 2"x72" grinders, were well, expensive, even for the cheapest ones. At least $1200 and up.

So after watching LOT'S of YouTube videos on building one, I decided to put the money I'd spend on cheap grinder on parts to build my own 2"x72" belt grinder. After some months of welding and grinding and scrounging parts and materials, it's getting close to completion. Still got a ways to go and some things that I need to get to finish it, but it's very close.

wbTmyfCl.jpg

eiuc9Ful.jpg

hqCjE5Sl.jpg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Nice.

It's still in the rough stages right now. Once I get all the final adjustments done and the rest of the holes drilled and tapped, I plan on spending some time with my grinders smoothing everything and then painting it. I haven't decided what color to paint it yet! Open to suggestions though.
    Keep us updated please

Not a problem. Right now I'm working on the tracking mechanism. Probably the hardest part of the grinder.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    It's still in the rough stages right now. Once I get all the final adjustments done and the rest of the holes drilled and tapped, I plan on spending some time with my grinders smoothing everything and then painting it. I haven't decided what color to paint it yet! Open to suggestions though.

Not a problem. Right now I'm working on the tracking mechanism. Probably the hardest part of the grinder.
    John Deere Green

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    You don't give a location, but the Forged in Fire participants have a 2 day event in Bellville every year (except 2020/COVID). Some really good knifemakers show up for it, plus people selling knifemaking supplies. Info on Texas Select from Forged in Fire. This year its scheduled for April 3 & 4. Phenix Knives has a GREAT forge and shop there that is well worth the trip to see. I do some knifemaking and sheathmaking, but only as a hobby; I don't market them.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    You don't give a location, but the Forged in Fire participants have a 2 day event in Bellville every year (except 2020/COVID). Some really good knifemakers show up for it, plus people selling knifemaking supplies. Info on Texas Select from Forged in Fire. This year its scheduled for April 3 & 4. Phenix Knives has a GREAT forge and shop there that is well worth the trip to see. I do some knifemaking and sheathmaking, but only as a hobby; I don't market them.

I'm not far outside of Palestine and Elkhart, but traveling too far just isn't possible at this time. I do plan on building a forge at some point in the near future, but more for heat-treating than for forging at this time. Forging blades is an entirely different set of skills for sure. Even if I did forge my blades, I'd still need a good belt grinder!

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Over the last year I have been preparing to jump into making knives as a hobby. Slowly I have been transitioning my garage into a place to make knives. Just a few more preparations and tools I need to acquire so that I can begin this endeavour. But it's getting close. I have some blanks roughed out awaiting to be finished up. This is something I have been wanting to do for some years now, but just never had the time to give it the commitment it needed. Always seemed like there were hundreds of other things that were more pressing and taking of my time.

Right now I want to focus on the stock removal method for making blades. I have in the plans for a forge for heat-treating blades, but I would like to venture into doing some by forging as well. I also will concentrate on fixed blades simple because they are much simpler. The knives I want to make will be utility and outdoorsman types that will be something that is designed to be used. My goal is simple elegance.

An interesting story to this. My great grandfather, was a blacksmith, farmer and ran a sawmill here in East Texas. His first blacksmith's shop was built right here on the property where I live, in 1918, not a couple of hundred yards from where my house is. He died the year I was born, so I never got a chance to know him. But I suspect he was much like my grandfather and my father!

More to follow later! Cheers.
    Hi, I used to make and build knives, a good resource was "Texas Knifemakers Supply, in Houston. 713 461 8632 if they are still in business.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Hi, I used to make and build knives, a good resource was "Texas Knifemakers Supply, in Houston. 713 461 8632 if they are still in business.

Thanks! I have looked at several places online, and I may have looked at theirs as well. If I did, I should have it bookmarked. If not, I'll see if I find them online.

Just so everyone knows, anyone that wants to offer any suggestions and advice, I'm all ears. I have made some rudimentary and maybe crude knives in the past, so I'm not a complete stranger, but still I know I have lots to learn.

I want to focus on making knives from old files and older metal from my own designs, with most of the handle materials being sourced locally from various types of woods.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Well, I decided earlier this morning while out in the garage finishing up some of the welding and grinding that I wanted to go ahead and paint the belt grinder. Had quite a few cans of old camo spray paint in different colors on the shelf, and decided to just use what I had and get rid of them at the same time. Painted it dark brown and olive green, and the motor silver.

UZT68Cxl.jpg

ZdLgQFvl.jpg

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    Well, I decided earlier this morning while out in the garage finishing up some of the welding and grinding that I wanted to go ahead and paint the belt grinder. Had quite a few cans of old camo spray paint in different colors on the shelf, and decided to just use what I had and get rid of them at the same time. Painted it dark brown and olive green, and the motor silver.

UZT68Cxl.jpg

ZdLgQFvl.jpg

Your posting rekindled my interest in the hobby. I quit about twenty years ago for a different hobby, since I tend to have "tunnel vision" when it comes to my interests.
    (https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/new-knife-hobby.103064/page-2#post-2264276
    has a picture of the last one I made)
    I sure understand trying to get started without spending a fortune... my first knives were made using a six inch drug store bench grinder and a Sear's belt sander my FIL gave me for Christmas.
    Spent a couple of years fabricating a belt grinder in our local junior college's machine shop class. First run on it, the belt snapped and slapped me across the forehead. Fortunately a 180 belt and not a 36! Obviously I now recommend a full-face shield as well as goggles and a good mask.
    So after my forehead healed, I bought a KMG-1 from Beaumont Metal Works.
    I've got all the makings of a three burner propane forge in my shop, but seriously think I'll just buy one of the $200 Lithuanian ones off ebay.
    So pleased keep us posted on your progress. Remember, there's lots of heat treat people out there and don't get your edge too thin prior to treatment.
    One other thing which you may already be aware of... use plenty of caution when buffing... several knife makes have been seriously injured when the buffer took the blade away and then threw it back at them. One gentleman was bleeding out from a chest wound when a neighbor found him and got him help. Too close.
    Have fun.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Your posting rekindled my interest in the hobby. I quit about twenty years ago for a different hobby, since I tend to have "tunnel vision" when it comes to my interests.
    (https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/new-knife-hobby.103064/page-2#post-2264276
    has a picture of the last one I made)
    I sure understand trying to get started without spending a fortune... my first knives were made using a six inch drug store bench grinder and a Sear's belt sander my FIL gave me for Christmas.
    Spent a couple of years fabricating a belt grinder in our local junior college's machine shop class. First run on it, the belt snapped and slapped me across the forehead. Fortunately a 180 belt and not a 36! Obviously I now recommend a full-face shield as well as goggles and a good mask.
    So after my forehead healed, I bought a KMG-1 from Beaumont Metal Works.
    I've got all the makings of a three burner propane forge in my shop, but seriously think I'll just buy one of the $200 Lithuanian ones off ebay.
    So pleased keep us posted on your progress. Remember, there's lots of heat treat people out there and don't get your edge too thin prior to treatment.
    One other thing which you may already be aware of... use plenty of caution when buffing... several knife makes have been seriously injured when the buffer took the blade away and then threw it back at them. One gentleman was bleeding out from a chest wound when a neighbor found him and got him help. Too close.
    Have fun.

Thanks for all the input.

I had thought about making a forge about a year ago and did start on it somewhat, but ended up going a different direction back then, so it went on the back-burner so to speak. The other day, I decided to go ahead with finishing my forge and got some of the parts needed for the burner for it. Spent the last couple of days welding, cutting and grinding on the vessel itself. Also made a platform for the forge to set on as well.

leDfsrOl.jpg

cNKM55dl.jpg

XJHBhCDl.jpg

The forge vessel is about 16" deep and I plan on lining it with about 2.5" of refractory cement, so I should be able to heat-treat up to about a 10" bladed knife pretty easy.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Wife and I went to Tyler Sunday afternoon to Northern Tool, and I picked up a new bench-top drill press, and a few other things while there.

w55EOTEl.jpg

I have a roll around table that I mounted it to, but need to build a platform to raise it up at least 16" or 18" higher so I don't have to stoop over to drill things.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Look at getting one of those adjustable barstools with a back on it. That will probably allow you to sit at the right height for your current set up.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom