• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I'm kicking around the idea of adding a small bee farm to the homestead. I would like to ocassionally harvest some honey, but mainly for positive fruit tree/ garden pollination.

I was wondering if any of you guys are bee keepers and if you can give me any tips. How expensive to get started, how many bees for under 10 acres of pollination, and how much time is needed to keep it running good. Does the hive constantly grow or do they maintain a certain size? If anyone has any experience with it I'd like to hear your opinions.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Since you both are in Dripping Springs, I would contact Daddy's Bees Home

While he is a no-kill bee removal service, he seems like a pretty good guy from his webpage who knows his bees. You might become one of the repositories for a captured hive he needs a home for. Number of links on there also that might help. If nothing else, might meet him for a cup of coffee and tap his knowledge.

We have used this type of environmentally friendly service before with good results to remove bees, don't know where there were relocated to though :)

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Thanks for sharing the page Acera. After reading it, I'm wondering if they might become a nuisance for parties with sodas or beer. Our outdoor kids playset , trampoline, and picnic table is near the garden too. The wife and kids gave me the "go ahead", but I'm gonna have to do alot more reading and research before I decide on it.

Anyone have bees?

Troysland

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    Austin, TX

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    Thanks for sharing the page Acera. After reading it, I'm wondering if they might become a nuisance for parties with sodas or beer. Our outdoor kids playset , trampoline, and picnic table is near the garden too. The wife and kids gave me the "go ahead", but I'm gonna have to do alot more reading and research before I decide on it.

Anyone have bees?
    Got mine first part of may. the hive is growing added a deep brood box last week.If this keeps going I will get honey this year. The queen is a carnolian/ italian cross. They are very tame so far. I have opened the hive once a week to feed them without getting stung yet. I keep them about 50 yards from the back of the house and they havnt been a problem yet. It is something that you have to keep after but once its going you just have to keep an eye on it. There are several things that can make them leave. Not enough room, bee maladies such as mites, beetles, and moths but there are ways to take care and prevent those. So far it it interesting just to sit and watch. I know this is over a month old and it is a little late to buy a hive you would have to wait untill spring to get one from a supplier.

Top Bottom