• ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Please do not buy a modern diesel, especially in a small truck that doesn't need it. ESPECIALLY if you plan to keep it. There is ZERO problems with the V6 in the modern Colorado/Canyon nor is there any issues with the 8 speed transmission. 3.6L problems were back in 07-10. It's a good engine now. The 8-speed problems were very minor (especially compared to issues with the 6L) with the early ones having converter/fluid problems and fluid temp sensor issues.

BTW, when that engine does need the timing belt replaced, the transmission has to come out because it's on the back of the engine. Please make sure a smaller truck is what you want. You'll pay slightly less for a truck that will be nearly worthless in 6-9 years versus a full size truck that will retain value well. Not much market for a small truck up here so for new sales the full size outsells the mid by probably 20:1 new.
    I can’t believe in this day, they would still be using timing belts. And in the back of the engine of all places. This makes about as much sense as Ford with their stupid internal water pump design on the ecoboost. I suppose they don’t care who they piss of by doing it this way since it’s usually the third owner by the time the repair bill comes in.
    But yeah, the time for small diesels passed about 10-15 years ago when they started with the exhaust scrubbing equipment. The up charge up front plus the high price fuel, def and eventual repair bills make these a nonstarter for me. I really think I’d come out better with total cost of ownership going with a 3/4 ton gasser than a new small diesel.
    Texas SOT

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    OK, Please tell me of your experience. I keep hearing the same complaints re Tacoma's for decades: Uncomfortable driver's seat, road noise, and too-expensive dealer service. Are those still problem areas ?
    After 5 years of use my Tacoma hasn't given me any problems. I used the dealer service during the warranty period and an independent garage since. Their prices for service have been within about 5% of each other. I haven't had any issues with road noise or comfort compared to the F150 and F250 I previously drove. My wife prefers trips in the tacoma over our two automobiles. Most of the trips I drive are 6-8 hours and haven't been uncomfortable compared to the previous trucks. It's averaged 21-23 mpg.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Trust me, you want the Cummins. I have 450,000 miles on mine. Great truck. It’s rare to see a working truck ( farmers, welders ) with anything other than a Cummins……city slickers love there Fords. Not too many Chvies around.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I do have a friend who loves her Cummins powered Nisasn. She comes from a trucking and heavy equipment family and says it tows great.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I vote for the bed pad, 2 cm thick and prevents dents , can remove easily, reduces vibrations on cargo, gives dogs grip (restrained of course) cooler than spray on liners, cheaper about a hundred bucks.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Trust me, you want the Cummins. I have 450,000 miles on mine. Great truck. It’s rare to see a working truck ( farmers, welders ) with anything other than a Cummins……city slickers love there Fords. Not too many Chvies around.
    I loved my 05 3500 Ram Cummins, gave to my son at 240k... but my Chevy 1500 tows what I need, gets better mileage, way less tiring on 800 mile trips. Just saying: tailor your ride to the mission.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Are you a hot shot driver, or an occasional weekend warrior....
    Hey ZX9RCAM, if you were asking me, then I guess not a hot shot driver;) I do drive a lot, from home to the family ranch 4.5 hours away and to my Colorado hideout 860 miles West Northwest several times a year
    The adaptive cruise control, lane warnings and multiple seat adjustments certainly make the long drives less stressful. Noise and vibration also greatly reduced. I am not saying Chevy is better than Ford or Toyota or Dodge, just that a gas powered 1/2 ton is more comfortable than a diesel powered 1 ton. I bought the Silverado because it was the best dollar value I found in the two years it took me to find a great used truck.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Hey ZX9RCAM, if you were asking me, then I guess not a hot shot driver;) I do drive a lot, from home to the family ranch 4.5 hours away and to my Colorado hideout 860 miles West Northwest several times a year
    The adaptive cruise control, lane warnings and multiple seat adjustments certainly make the long drives less stressful. Noise and vibration also greatly reduced. I am not saying Chevy is better than Ford or Toyota or Dodge, just that a gas powered 1/2 ton is more comfortable than a diesel powered 1 ton. I bought the Silverado because it was the best dollar value I found in the two years it took me to find a great used truck.

Sorry, just kind of throwing that out there to anyone, as it should make a difference in what is "actually" needed.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    After 5 years of use my Tacoma hasn't given me any problems. I used the dealer service during the warranty period and an independent garage since. Their prices for service have been within about 5% of each other. I haven't had any issues with road noise or comfort compared to the F150 and F250 I previously drove. My wife prefers trips in the tacoma over our two automobiles. Most of the trips I drive are 6-8 hours and haven't been uncomfortable compared to the previous trucks. It's averaged 21-23 mpg.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was wanting to know.

Which year is the Tacoma?

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Sorry, just kind of throwing that out there to anyone, as it should make a difference in what is "actually" needed.
    Hey no sorry needed, I agree 100% that mission essential is the bottom line, everything else falls into the :nice to have: catagory..I tend to slide off topic thanks for nudging me back on track;)

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I think many people put "wants" in front of their needs when it comes to vehicles. I too have been guilty of it at times. But it keeps the dealerships busy and profitable.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I loved my 05 3500 Ram Cummins, gave to my son at 240k... but my Chevy 1500 tows what I need, gets better mileage, way less tiring on 800 mile trips. Just saying: tailor your ride to the mission.
    I have an 04 1 ton. Best I’ve gotten in 23 mpg ( hand calculated ) no lie- o-meter. Best I ever got with a GMC 3/4 ton with a 5.7 gasser was 18 mpg, Modified my stock tank to hold 40 gal. So I use to drive from S. NM to San Antonio on one tank and have enough left to putz around before I needed a fill up to come home. Laramie seats are very comfortable, even with an IWB Super .Tuck at 4:00 o clock.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I have an 04 1 ton. Best I’ve gotten in 23 mpg ( hand calculated ) no lie- o-meter. Best I ever got with a GMC 3/4 ton with a 5.7 gasser was 18 mpg, Modified my stock tank to hold 40 gal. So I use to drive from S. NM to San Antonio on one tank and have enough left to putz around before I needed a fill up to come home. Laramie seats are very comfortable, even with an IWB Super .Tuck at 4:00 o clock.
    I do miss the extended range the Cummins gave me, 400 miles is what I get to the 1/8 tank mark now, vs the 600 mile Dodge range. However I am older now and need to get out stretch legs walk the dog leak lizard so fuel stops less of a hassle than when I was working or always in a hurry to get somewhere.

That long wheel base Dodge with stiff suspension 4x4 (1 ton) and E rated tires just was fatiguing on long drives especially when empty. My son loves it and is heading out on a 2400 mile road trip in two weeks.
    I admit to enjoying naps now, gaited horses, Baileys in coffee, lower recoil rifles and a pickup with lots of creature features which I can get into and out of without jumping;)

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I do miss the extended range the Cummins gave me, 400 miles is what I get to the 1/8 tank mark now, vs the 600 mile Dodge range. However I am older now and need to get out stretch legs walk the dog leak lizard so fuel stops less of a hassle than when I was working or always in a hurry to get somewhere.

That long wheel base Dodge with stiff suspension 4x4 (1 ton) and E rated tires just was fatiguing on long drives especially when empty. My son loves it and is heading out on a 2400 mile road trip in two weeks.
    I admit to enjoying naps now, gaited horses, Baileys in coffee, lower recoil rifles and a pickup with lots of creature features which I can get into and out of without jumping;)

I know exactly how you feel. It took me some 3 or 4 years to slow-down for retirement, but I don't want to go back to work, ever, now !

Top Bottom