• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoldenBear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    El Paso
    Any body doing this? I am thinking about it, but I am not all together sure my fat ass can make the course. Is a "trial" like this a decent introduction to the "run and gun" shooting style? ZOMBIE BIATHLON - BATTLEROAD USA

If you haven't done a three-gun event before, I wouldn't do this for a first event. This is NOT like something you see on TV on 3-Gun Nation. A usual three gun stage (or course of fire) is usually less than three minutes, engaging targets with a combination of pistol, rifle, shotgun; movement is usually less than 100 yards from start to finish. Then you walk to the next range bay to shoot the next stage.

In this Zombie Biathlon, you will cover a seven-mile course, moving between six shooting positions (probably at least a half-mile between shooting positions), carrying pistol and rifle, and all needed ammunition/magazines, supplies (water, snacks, first aid, etc). It's a good time to test yourself and your equipment.

Take a look at this YouTube video from the 2013 Pecos Run and Gun (6.4 mile course, six shooting stations). If you can catch your respiratory pause between shots, you should be good-to-go to get your hits. There's only one way to find out, right?

EDIT: Actually, here's the same shooter's video of the 2013 Zombie Destruction Biathlon

Last edited:

njrefugee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2014
    Hi,

I am new to the forum, but I ran this race on Saturday and thought I would post some comments. First, it was a lot of fun and quite challenging. Many of the runners had military experience and do these races a few times a year. However, don't let that intimidate you -- I am a regular dude in my late 30's with no military background and very limited firearms training. (I grew up in NJ, so never shot much besides a BB gun until a few years ago when I moved to TX.) I'm no distance runner either, though I do try to stay pretty physically fit. That said, I had a great time, and I am already looking forward to the next one in April.

The event is a great way to test your equipment and your skills. I was pretty good on the pistol stages, but definitely need more rifle training. Also, I think I was the only guy out there running iron sights, so some kind of optic might be in my future. Either way, more training with an AR is at the top of my to-do list. Shooting pistol and rifle in unconventional positions and moving from position to position under time pressure really makes strengths and weaknesses stand out. If you want to improve, this is a great way to find out where you are and what you need to do.

The conditions were very wet and muddy, as it poured rain the whole night before and on and off for most of the morning, including when I was running. The course takes you through mowed fields (the easy part) and thick woods with lots of trees and branches in your way (not as easy). Moving in and out of creek beds with all that mud and water around was definitely challenging with gear on, but I learned a lot, including the value of carrying your rifle in such a way as to allow your hands to be free to grab trees and branches for support. 2-point sling was very handy here. New hiking boots are already on order, as my low-cut Timberlands were waterlogged after the first mile. I am also looking at a few other ways I can improve my gear. There are several things I would not have noticed or considered if I had not run a race like this, and I am looking forward to updating some of my gear and seeing how it goes next time.

Also, several of the participants simply walked from stage to stage, rather than running, so if you are concerned about that part, just walk it. The obstacles are not too difficult and pretty much anybody should be able to handle them. So, in terms of getting through the course, it is hard if you try to run it as fast as you can, but that's up to each participant.

The folks who organize and run the event are definitely qualified professionals, but also very cool and approachable. It is intended to be a fun event, so no intimidation or anything from the staff. (Safety rules are strictly enforced though, which I definitely appreciated.) The other participants were laid back and nice as well, even the hard-core guys who have years of training. No puffed-out chests or tough-guy attitudes that I saw.

Overall, I would highly recommend giving this a try.

njrefugee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2014
    Sure. Here is the course of fire. I timed out on some of the rifle stages, mostly due to equipment issues and lack of experience in some of these shooting positions. I feel that if I had to run it today I would be able to get each stage done in the allotted time (though not by much on the rifle stages).

Zombie Biathlon Course of Fire/FAQs - BATTLEROAD USA

And some more info:
    At the Battle Road USA Zombie Destruction Biathlon you are not fleeing from Zombies; you will be destroying them! That's right, this is a biathlon not a 3-Gun. At this course you will have to carry all your equipment approximately 4.5 miles; you will fire your own rifle and pistol. You can run or walk the course so it's only as challenging as you make it. There will be 4 pistol stations and 4 rifle stations with several man made obstacles each participant negotiate. Come test yourself and your gear at Battle Road USA's Zombie Destruction Biathlon. Go to
    BattleRoadUSA.com for more details.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robertmb3
    Top Bottom