• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Thanks for all the input and the jokes. I can read music somewhat. I took piano lessons when I was little. There is some basic music theory in my head somewhere. I manly just want to play for fun. I like a variety of music. I have books on learning. Just would like to have a real person there to help me

Hell, you're 80% of the way to being a bassist. ;)

Once you figure out how the bass is tuned, where the notes are for each string, and the key of a tune, you got it made.

You can actually play along with literally thousands upon thousands of tunes just by playing the first and fifth note of each chord of the tune ... famously done in country music;

Or, on many tunes, just a single note (the first note of each chord) can be played over and over in time with the music, and changing the note along with the chord being played. Many rock'n roll bassist do nothing else ...

Then, as rp- says, you got guys playing like this over in the Music thread, a superb bass player, who actually played drums in a band I played bass in for a few gigs ... far, far better bassist than I, and I don't know which one of us cringed the most. ;)

https://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71314&page=26&p=1598911&viewfull=1#post1598911

ETA ... listen to Pete's bass line around 1:40, as he both backs up, and provides the vocal fills, for the vocalist. This is where rp-'s bit of wisdom of knowing "scales" really shines ...
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Wow now... Let's now through that wisdom word around too much... Let's just say I've had experience

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Since flea was brought up...

This song is exactly what I was describing. Especially during the first Chorus.

The first Chorus on guitar is a simple 4 chord chorus but the bass just rambles around the scale. Yes you do need to have knowledge about chords, too, though...

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Just a few of my bassist heros if you will:

Flea
    Cliff Burton
    Tim Commerford
    Jason Newsted
    Robert Trujillo
    Fieldy
    Geddy Lee
    Less Claypool
    Just to name a few.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    https://yousician.com/

I taught myself guitar. I started last February and I play lead guitar in my church praise team now — even though I prefer rhythm guitar for singing purposes.

Learn your theory, chord shapes & scales... but more than scales, SCALE SHAPES! Teaching myself those five simple shapes opened my eyes to a whole new world of playing music. Most of the time, I couldn't tell you what notes I'm playing, but I know what key we're in and know what shapes I need to stay in and it's musical.

Learn the fretboard!

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Picked up the bass for the first time in three long years today. Still some numbness, but this just might work. Dreaming of being able to play with My Girl (Linda Lowe) again ... wish me a broken leg, at the very least. This is the first tune I picked to try and get my ear back ... it has a special meaning, and it felt really good on the fretless, lots of hope:

Top Bottom