• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So I got this 1911 barrell that I want to polish, it already semi polished at the ramp and outside chamber but I want to put a slick mirror finish all over this thing. Anyone have any good polishing tips? What compounds and techniques have you used? Is there a thread for this already? Talk to me TGT...
    Texas SOT

Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    I soaked in vineager for 45 min and polished with FLITZ on a rag. Took a while but the end product was amazing. Just polish till you get it to where you want it. My barrel on my glock took me about 2 hours but it now has a mirror finish. Never tried sand paper. My friend did his with a dremel with the polishing cloth and FLITZ only and got the same results I got but in about 25-30 min as opposed to my 2 hrs. Good luck and post pics when ur done.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I used a bit of fine, then super fine steel wool to get my P90's feed ramp started then went from 800 to 2000 grit sand paper. I suppose you could use a dremel and some lapping compound as well. I havn't tried that though.

Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    I used the vineager because the vid I watched on polishing said to. After letting it sit in the vineager for 45 min the black coating on my barrel started to wipe off with just a rag as I dried it. It seemed like it really dried out the barrel surface if that makes sense. It was my first and only time I have ever done somehting like this and I am now pretty confident I can polish anything metal. Oh yea I forgot to mention I also used steel wool.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Vinegar is a mild acid. I've used it before for removing rust and carbon build up on car parts. Not sure what it'd do for a stainless barrel, tho

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    ..... My friend did his with a dremel with the polishing cloth and FLITZ only and got the same results I got but in about 25-30 min as opposed to my 2 hrs. .....

Any idea what stores carry Flitz (especially if somebody in Austin knows). I am planning on polishing some parts on my SR in hopes of improving the trigger.

Top Bottom