• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Coworker had it done 10+ years ago and it worked well for him. Of course he began watching what he ate and exercising. The latter he really couldn't do before.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I loved ceviche in Cozumel.

IMO it's fine/good when made with sushi grade fish (flash frozen and inspected by a professional sushi chef)... but catching a fish, filleting and eating chunks of it with lime is too high of a risk for me! Esp after my friend's life changing experience!!!

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    I have indirect experience. You'll be told to lose xxx weight before the surgery; both "get into the routine" of eating better and exercising, and to make sure you'll do it. Afterwards, you'll check in on a regular basis.
    Fatty foods aren't good after a procedure. If you don't stick to a good diet and exercise, you'll gain it all back.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I know two people, a married couple, who both had lapbands within months of each other. I saw him almost daily and initially commited, he dropped pounds quickly within the 1st 6(?) months but gained it all and more back over the next 2-3 years. He simply couldn't pass up the chance to eat no matter how small the item. I saw her once or twice a year during the same timeframe and never noticed a difference. Like others have said, just surgery won't do it; good luck!

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    IMO it's fine/good when made with sushi grade fish (flash frozen and inspected by a professional sushi chef)... but catching a fish, filleting and eating chunks of it with lime is too high of a risk for me! Esp after my friend's life changing experience!!!
    I'm assuming it was something in the preparation of the fresh fish that caused the symptoms.? Is there something in fresh fish that can cause illness? I've had flash frozen fish all over. I've also had sashimi fresh off the boat where the fish mouth was still moving as we were eating the cut pieces.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I'm assuming it was something in the preparation of the fresh fish that caused the symptoms.? Is there something in fresh fish that can cause illness? I've had flash frozen fish all over. I've also had sashimi fresh off the boat where the fish mouth was still moving as we were eating the cut pieces.

Fish flesh can have tiny/microscopic worms, cysts, eggs, and other parasites that are destroyed by flash freezing or cooking. My friend apparently ingested infected raw fish flesh and the parasite (whatever it was) was not destroyed by his stomach acid. It bored a hole out of his stomach so they know it was a parasite. (Not an ulcer)

Sushi chefs (trained professionals, many trained IN Japan) closely inspect the sashimi even after flash freezing and cut out any suspect area that they see prior to serving it up.

Therefore, IMO eating raw fish on the boat is highly risky. Akin to Russian Roulette.

I buy and make raw sea scallops and salmon into sushi/sashimi, but both have been flash frozen. But generally I think it's better to buy my Flying Fish Roe and such from a Japanese specialty store.

Last edited:

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Fish flesh can have tiny/microscopic worms, cysts, eggs, and other parasites that are destroyed by flash freezing or cooking. My friend apparently ingested infected raw fish flesh and the parasite (whatever it was) was not destroyed by his stomach acid. It bored a hole out of his stomach so they know it was a parasite. (Not an ulcer)

Sushi chefs closely inspect the sashimi even after flash freezing and cut out any suspect area that they see prior to serving it up.

Therefore, IMO eating raw fish on the boat is highly risky. Akin to Russian Roulette.

I buy and make raw sea scallops and salmon into sushi/sashimi, but both have been flash frozen. But generally I think it's better to buy my Flying Fish Roe and such from a Japanese specialty store.
    You are so correct. Raw fish is dangerous. I like oysters but.....

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    You are so correct. Raw fish is dangerous. I like oysters but.....

I like oysters raw as well as cooked. I suppose there is still a risk, but not of parasites AFAIK, instead I think it's the bacteria. We buy from oyster beds in the Puget Sound... I think they'd have a big problem if people got sick.

I also have developed a taste for, of all things, mussels. ICK, used to use them for bait. When eating mussels one harvests, you have to be careful not to collect them during a red tide... some kind of toxin in that stuff!!!

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin

Sushi chefs (trained professionals, many trained IN Japan) closely inspect the sashimi even after flash freezing and cut out any suspect area that they see prior to serving it up.

Yeah. I don't know the numbers but the vast majority is frozen. I've watched a show that even said fresh non frozen sashimi didn't taste as good as flash frozen. They even explained the science behind it.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Yeah. I don't know the numbers but the vast majority is frozen. I've watched a show that even said fresh non frozen sashimi didn't taste as good as flash frozen. They even explained the science behind it.

That show sounds interesting!

AFAIK, all the sushi/sashimi fish our restaurants here get is flash frozen. We are a 7-8 hours inland and I bet fresh would get kinda not-fresh by the time it got here. But flash frozen tastes even better than risky fresh fish on the boat???

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    That show sounds interesting!

AFAIK, all the sushi/sashimi fish our restaurants here get is flash frozen. We are a 7-8 hours inland and I bet fresh would get kinda not-fresh by the time it got here. But flash frozen tastes even better than risky fresh fish on the boat???
    If you look at the big markets in Japan where the top place get their fish you will see rows of frozen fish. Tuna worth 10's of thousand with a chunk taken out of the tail so the buyers can grade/ evaluate the Tuna.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    If you look at the big markets in Japan where the top place get their fish you will see rows of frozen fish. Tuna worth 10's of thousand with a chunk taken out of the tail so the buyers can grade/ evaluate the Tuna.

My understanding is that the best sushi places in the states do get their fish from Japan. Yum!!!

Top Bottom