• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Anyone have a recipe they're partial to for making barbacoa at home? Mexican grocer up the street makes some amazing stuff but I want to make some home made stuff to celebrate our 2 year anniversary moving here in a couple weeks and wouldn't mind trying a new recipe. I've tried my hand before using the basic tex-mex spices and citrus juice, but I don't know how authentic it is.
    Capitol Armory ad

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    Start with a cow head and go from there, the best ones I have had are put in clay pot, buried in coals.
    Don’t forget homemade tortillas.

Moooo. Mooooo
    6D9D7F79-113A-4B15-8F71-7990E08E5E84.jpeg
    2D634E8B-953A-4600-B852-BFF43A4FE207.jpeg

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Anyone have a recipe they're partial to for making barbacoa at home? Mexican grocer up the street makes some amazing stuff but I want to make some home made stuff to celebrate our 2 year anniversary moving here in a couple weeks and wouldn't mind trying a new recipe. I've tried my hand before using the basic tex-mex spices and citrus juice, but I don't know how authentic it is.
    First time I tried goat meat, it had been cooked in the ground, buried on top of coals. Some of the best shredded goat meat tacos I have ever eaten in my life. It's a lot of work, but the results are worth it. I have have eaten a small wild hog that was cooked in the growund as well, and that was pretty damned good too.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Buy it cooked who want to dig a hole in this heat
    ?

The last year I worked the renfest Hector just brought it and menudo everything Sunday morning and wouldn’t take money. It was alway a welcome sight to me Sunday mornings, wether I had been drinking or just unloading a truck at 1:00 am

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    its always funny tellin' folks that barabcoa is cow face and beef tongue lmao.
    One can buy beef cheek meat at H‑E‑B .vs cooking a head. A guy with a little skill could in theory trim the cheeks & do the seasonings then slow cook it in a crock pot.

Once while eating in a papusareia I watched the head chef slicing beef skirts with the grain and I trimmed figuring that was here version.

I would still hit a taco joint and buy it by the pound with the green sauce, tortillas, onions, cilantro and limes

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    One can buy beef cheek meat at H‑E‑B .vs cooking a head. A guy with a little skill could in theory trim the cheeks & do the seasonings then slow cook it in a crock pot.

Once while eating in a papusareia I watched the head chef slicing beef skirts with the grain and I trimmed figuring that was here version.

I would still hit a taco joint and buy it by the pound with the green sauce, tortillas, onions, cilantro and limes
    the local mexican bakery here has the best barbacoa tortas

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Start with a cow head and go from there, the best ones I have had are put in clay pot, buried in coals.
    Don’t forget homemade tortillas.

Moooo. Mooooo
    View attachment 334517 View attachment 334518

Grandpa used to love that plus the eyeballs and brains. Unfortunately he had to eliminate it from his diet after a quadruple bypass heart surgery.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas

Back before the beer flu my parents volunteered to cook breakfast for the local Catholic church occasionally. Dad would cheat by smoking a brisket and rough chopping it and selling it as barbacoa. There's just not enough meat on the head to justify the amount of work.

Top Bottom