• ...and so much more!
  • Skeet

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2021
    Colorado
    Diawa Tatula SV T103 vs Shimano Curado MGL 150

Maybe it's just me. I have a Diawa Zillion, a few 2020 Tatula SV T103's along with the new Shimano Curado MGL 150 and Scorpion MGL 150. They are all great reels but the both Diawa's have a nasty habit. Example, when using spinnerbaits and going for distance, I think I have them all dialed in for no backlash. I'm tooling along just fine but with the Diawas, if I forget and overpower the cast, they will blow up in the very beginning of the cast. If I make adjustments to prevent it, I lose distance. I haven't had that problem with those 2 Shimanos. But for skipping, etc, the Diawas are great. Anyone else have that problem? I've read that can be a problem with magnetic brakes vs centrifugal.
    Texas SOT

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Changing reels / lines/ rods, is just like changing your EDC. Muscle memory, and instinct reaction must be reset every time you change.

Over powering a cast vs cranking it down is just life with a bait caster, unless your always casting down wind. Some reels handle it well, most do not. Early on I flung a lot of line, and tried lots of reels. I always end back with a Shimano. Also when you find your touchstone, consider sticking with the one set up that works best for your needs, and perfect it. Then buy 3 more. Keep them in the rod box or your buddy will step on one and crush the eyes.

I started serious target practice with a Shimano Calcutta 250 and an Allstar ( Houston ) rod. After a few thousand reps I could fling a Texas rig 75 yards or drop a Jawtec wacky craw in a Folgers can at 75 feet against a 10 MPH head wind, just about.
    I have tried the Calcutta B, and it feels and reacts close to the old 250s. I may make the change, this spring.

Keep Fishing.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Curado Ds are hard to beat.
    I have some Diawas, but for specific things.
    For the money, Pflueger President line is hard to beat. I have several of those. IIRC, the BassPro Johnny Morris line is the same as the Plueger but less expensive. I have a few of those as well.
    The Abu Garcia Revos are also quite good for the money. I have several.
    My spinning rods are almost exclusively Pfluegers.

Yes, I have a lot of rods. Some store bought. Some custom made from St. Croix Avid series blanks or Cabelas blanks. Including some ice rods. I use them at the marina.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    For many, many years my reels were all Shimano Curados.

I tried a quite a number of different reels first of course, only to finally discover the Shimano reels and never looked back.

Never could stand an open face spinning reel.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I'm not a fan of the magnetic cast control reels. I'd go with a reel that has a normal break system.
    I used to be a Shimano guy... until I dealt with Lews customer service. Lew's has the best customer service I've gotten from a reel manufacturer. Free parts & free shipping.... I've never gotten that from Shimano. All new reels I've purchased have been Lews.

Skeet

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2021
    Colorado
    I'll use the Curado's for distance and the Diawa's for accuracy and lighter lure situations. Interesting to watch The Reel Test on You Tube. Talk about a tackle junkie. He does all kinds of tests and tends to favor Shimano's overall but Diawa's aren't too far behind. Centrifugal brakes help prevent the initial backlash where magnetic tend to help later in the cast. I noticed this myself but he also made the observation that the lure shoots off the Shimano's easier than the Diawa's due to the magnets. I feel I don't have to cast as hard. My only Lew's reel is a KVD baitcaster which I like a lot. I bought it because it has dual braking system and reasonably priced, often on sale.

The Reel Test posted a video about the $55 (on Amazon) Piscifun Phantom which I bought for the hell of it. Dual braking system, only 5.7 oz but has a carbon composite frame. Haven't had it long enough to see how it holds up but its casting ability is impressive. According to The Reel Test it beat out some $300 reels.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Aww, just get one of these:

1674851059637.png

;)

My personal favorite, my vintage Mitchell 300 spinning reel. (Although mine is mint, unlike the below pic). Maybe after retiring I can break it out again.
    1674851165977.png

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    If y’all do any salt water, the Ambassadeur 7000 series’ are great. If one happens to hook something much larger than normal, they can do it. Yet they still cast well.

They make nice reels. I have 2 or 3.

Skeet

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2021
    Colorado
    If y’all do any salt water, the Ambassadeur 7000 series’ are great. If one happens to hook something much larger than normal, they can do it. Yet they still cast well.
    When I lived at the Jersey shore I had several 6000's for stripers

Top Bottom