• ...and so much more!
  • Skeet

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2021
    Colorado
    Diawa Tatula SV T103 vs Shimano Curado MGL 150

Maybe it's just me. I have a Diawa Zillion, a few 2020 Tatula SV T103's along with the new Shimano Curado MGL 150 and Scorpion MGL 150. They are all great reels but the both Diawa's have a nasty habit. Example, when using spinnerbaits and going for distance, I think I have them all dialed in for no backlash. I'm tooling along just fine but with the Diawas, if I forget and overpower the cast, they will blow up in the very beginning of the cast. If I make adjustments to prevent it, I lose distance. I haven't had that problem with those 2 Shimanos. But for skipping, etc, the Diawas are great. Anyone else have that problem? I've read that can be a problem with magnetic brakes vs centrifugal.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Changing reels / lines/ rods, is just like changing your EDC. Muscle memory, and instinct reaction must be reset every time you change.

Over powering a cast vs cranking it down is just life with a bait caster, unless your always casting down wind. Some reels handle it well, most do not. Early on I flung a lot of line, and tried lots of reels. I always end back with a Shimano. Also when you find your touchstone, consider sticking with the one set up that works best for your needs, and perfect it. Then buy 3 more. Keep them in the rod box or your buddy will step on one and crush the eyes.

I started serious target practice with a Shimano Calcutta 250 and an Allstar ( Houston ) rod. After a few thousand reps I could fling a Texas rig 75 yards or drop a Jawtec wacky craw in a Folgers can at 75 feet against a 10 MPH head wind, just about.
    I have tried the Calcutta B, and it feels and reacts close to the old 250s. I may make the change, this spring.

Keep Fishing.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Curado Ds are hard to beat.
    I have some Diawas, but for specific things.
    For the money, Pflueger President line is hard to beat. I have several of those. IIRC, the BassPro Johnny Morris line is the same as the Plueger but less expensive. I have a few of those as well.
    The Abu Garcia Revos are also quite good for the money. I have several.
    My spinning rods are almost exclusively Pfluegers.

Yes, I have a lot of rods. Some store bought. Some custom made from St. Croix Avid series blanks or Cabelas blanks. Including some ice rods. I use them at the marina.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    For many, many years my reels were all Shimano Curados.

I tried a quite a number of different reels first of course, only to finally discover the Shimano reels and never looked back.

Never could stand an open face spinning reel.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I'm not a fan of the magnetic cast control reels. I'd go with a reel that has a normal break system.
    I used to be a Shimano guy... until I dealt with Lews customer service. Lew's has the best customer service I've gotten from a reel manufacturer. Free parts & free shipping.... I've never gotten that from Shimano. All new reels I've purchased have been Lews.

Top Bottom