Military Camp

Bad roads and tires, are AT tires more comfortable?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Carli is top notch, but they like going up, not down. Trucks are too tall today to be as useful as they used to be for work. Try reaching over the side bedrail and getting something out of the bed without standing on something. Or reaching in a tool box without adding a step.

Tell your friend to work on lowering kits and I'll buy one for my next truck.
    Capitol Armory ad

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Carli is top notch, but they like going up, not down. Trucks are too tall today to be as useful as they used to be for work. Try reaching over the side bedrail and getting something out of the bed without standing on something. Or reaching in a tool box without adding a step.

Tell your friend to work on lowering kits and I'll buy one for my next truck.

Ha!
    Compared to most of what’s out there, Carli (and Thuren as well) are pretty mild, just 3.5” and 4.5”...but they’re all spring and suspension, no lift blocks.

Your rationale is exactly why my truck isn’t lifted, just leveled out in the front. I love being able to reach inside the bedsides, it’s my work truck...when I had my Ram, anything in the bed was basically physical exercise to climb up in there. Total PITA

Plus I like parking in a garage

I’ll tell the guys to offer lowering kits...not sure how that’s gonna fly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    yup... I used to get pissed off with my 6.7 Superduty on a regular basis. One time I went to the Ram dealer to look at their offering. I had to tell both the salesman AND the sales manager several times I simply could not consider their truck as a solution. It had no means whatsoever for getting in to the bed of their 4x4 Diesel. No ladder, no step in the bumper, no mini-trampoline - nothing!

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I really like the cutout GM in the corner of the bumper. It’s simple and nothing to break.

Seems a lot less complicated, and less crap to break, compared to the setups with retractable steps and handholds.

And the new GM multi-way, complex/$$$ tailgate...no thanks.

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I've been trying to read posts on this thread. Going to try and do a quick reply and address some comments. I've been wanting to read that tire psi guide. I printed a copy out but have yet to read it.

I thought I heard somewhere that 80% of road bumps are absorbed by the tire. Or some variation of that. I don't want to do any suspension work other than an alignment. (tie rods = suspension?) Since I need tires, I thought I would look for a comfortable one and possible get an AT tire and maybe a bigger size as well. I don't remember if I mentioned a lift, but I'm thinking just tires would be fine.

Luckily the Prius is pretty low to the ground. I just bought a HF tool cart. Rubbed to ceiling a bit and had to fold the seats, but there's 6 hook points when you lay the seats down. I also had 240lbs of water softner salt in the trunk once, just a slight bend over to pick them up.

cajunautoxer, do you know what the original tires were? My tires are actually pretty quiet, but traction in rain can be very scary. My tires were made something like 18-17 and have looked cracked in the tread after just 1 year... I just need new tires and an alignment. Assuming my self oil cons test goes well. (still in progress)

pronstar, I've been running 32/30 instead of 35/33 and I think it is more comfortable. I've been wanting to read that tire guide and see how low I can go and experiment but have yet to do so. I've never been in a desert but 18psi sounds really low. Was 42/38 a towing psi or door sticker? What was the "Caddy" psi?

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I thought I heard somewhere that 80% of road bumps are absorbed by the tire.

pronstar, I've been running 32/30 instead of 35/33 and I think it is more comfortable. I've been wanting to read that tire guide and see how low I can go and experiment but have yet to do so. I've never been in a desert but 18psi sounds really low. Was 42/38 a towing psi or door sticker? What was the "Caddy" psi?

Small-bump compliance is due to the tires. Larger impacts are handled by the suspension.

You don’t want to take your Prius anywhere that needs suck low psi LOL

Truck tires are larger and have a lot more air volume to handle weight.

18 psi or is what I run in my trucks when off-tossing, especially sand. A little more for hardpack.

42/38 was what I ran empty.
    I ran 80 psi when loaded and towing...

We got off track a bit, what works for trucks really won’t work for a Prius.

Edit Typo: small bump compliance IS handled by the tires

Last edited:

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Michelin Ltx M+S (2) for most applications
    I’m currently running Michelin A/T 2 on my Tundra and I love them; an upgrade from the BFG KO 2 that came OE

I’ve run several sets of those LTX M+S Michelins on several different vehicles and they are great tires. They have excellent grip in wet and dry condition, wear like iron (usually around 80,000 miles), but ride well and are quiet.

They are expensive but well worth it.

You can also get them in an “E” load rating.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I’ve run several sets of those LTX M+S Michelins on several different vehicles and they are great tires. They have excellent grip in wet and dry condition, wear like iron (usually around 80,000 miles), but ride well and are quiet.

They are expensive but well worth it.

You can also get them in an “E” load rating.
    That's the only tire I've run for the last couple of decades! Do I need to add - I like'em-----A LOT!

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Just an observation, but I think the OP is trying to achieve something that a Prius wasn't designed for. It's a city and urban commuter vehicle. Putting larger or all-terrain tires doesn't overcome it's limitations it has.
    Yeah... like 2" total suspension travel....

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Be ready for the limitations or set backs of your vehicle. Little update on those tires and my Colorado. I knew I would decrease my mpg’s but how much I didn’t know. After putting 200 miles of mostly highway with having to be in the mud two days a week I can live with what I did. That little diesel can still get 25mpg doing 70. To get 30mpg is now more like under 55. The truck can go more places and still get ok mileage.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Be ready for the limitations or set backs of your vehicle. Little update on those tires and my Colorado. I knew I would decrease my mpg’s but how much I didn’t know. After putting 200 miles of mostly highway with having to be in the mud two days a week I can live with what I did. That little diesel can still get 25mpg doing 70. To get 30mpg is now more like under 55. The truck can go more places and still not get terrible mileage.

Many years ago, I had a 1997 Nissan KingCab 4wd truck with the 2.4l four cylinder and a five speed manual transmission. That truck came factory with a 31" tall tires, on a 15x7 rims. I ended up first going to 33" tall tires, on the factory rims, then ended up with a 2" suspension lift, and a 2" body lift with 35" tall tires, on 15x10 rims.

Gas mileage dropped drastically! On the highway running 70mph, that engine was wound pretty tight, even in fifth gear!

But it looked awesome and it would go through just about anything off-road. It was the last truck I used for hunting years ago.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Taller tires would have effectively numerically lowered your rear gearing, no?

Yes it does. But this was small truck with a small four cylinder engine with not a lot of power! Those 35" tires and rims, probably weighed almost twice as much as the 31" tires and factory rims. Plus with the lift, it was like driving a raised up brick on the highway.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yes it does. But this was small truck with a small four cylinder engine with not a lot of power! Those 35" tires and rims, probably weighed almost twice as much as the 31" tires and factory rims. Plus with the lift, it was like driving a raised up brick on the highway.
    So, the motor wasn't "screaming", it just wouldn't go any faster.
    Your RPM should have been lower, no?

ETA: Sorry, I thought you said screaming, you said "wound pretty tight".

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    So, the motor wasn't "screaming", it just wouldn't go any faster.
    Your RPM should have been lower, no?

ETA: Sorry, I thought you said screaming, you said "wound pretty tight".

Dammit Cam! Making me use my brain this day!

With the factory sized 31" tires, the speedometer read 70 mph.

With the 33" tires it was reading 70 mph, but I was actually doing about 74 mph.

With the 35" tires, it read 70 mph, but I was actually doing about 78 mph.

I can''t even remember what gear ratios were in the differentials.

I just know, that it didn't have enough engine power for those big tires, especially in third gear and higher. On flat level ground, it was alright, but if you hit any incline, it lost speed rather quickly.

My determination? I needed more engine, or lot lower gear ratios for those tires. But lower gear ratios would have probably killed even more fuel mileage too.

It was my hunting truck, but also was my daily driver. My mistake was trying to adapt the truck for two different purposes.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Seems to be typically five miles per hour off.

My determination? I needed more engine, or lot lower gear ratios for those tires. But lower gear ratios would have probably killed even more fuel mileage too.
    More than likely. I’m a believer in diesel here on out. More energy in the fuel and more power at lower rpm. My next full size will be a diesel.

Top Bottom