• ...and so much more!
  • jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Took the 13 year old back to the range today. Worked a little more on the rifles. Then what he really wanted. PISTOLS. Especially the single action 22s.
    Took him well off to the side of the range and worked with him on his stance, grip and sighting. Took him a little while to relax but when he got it, he got it.
    Shot first with the GSG 1911 22lr, then on to a High Standard Double 9. Took a few minutes to get him to slow down. He thought he had to empty it when it came on target. Let him know that how fast was not an issue and I didn't care if he had to lower it every 2 or 3 rounds. The only thing that mattered was accuracy, not speed.
    He did pretty damn good when he figured it out. Half size silhouettes at 5 yards. He has never shot a pistol before.
    He did better than the couple shooting just down from us. Waaaay better.
    5a60a3d128418a993ace7be021d01eab.jpg
    58b9314f4c8ab0e097f5eb7d59c3816b.jpg

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Honorary grandpa, or as he refers to me, Old Man.
    Either way, I'll take it. He is a quick learner and wants to please. I have no single thing I can put my finger on, but he sometimes seems like he is hungry for praise.
    Young'un learns quick. A gentleman next to us on the rifle range had an unloaded pistol with a can on it laying on the bench. Boy ask if he could see it. He very carefully picked it up with 2 fingers by the grip until he could make sure it pointed in a safe direction. Turned it over, looked at it and replaced it. This was after his instruction with the pistols. I think we were both impressed with him.
    I don't mind praising kids when they earn it. And he has so far. At least he doesn't expect it for doing nothing.
    I like teaching kids like that. Watching that look on their face when they realize an accomplishment.
    And not just shooting. Any skill.

mississippilpj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2014
    Took the 13 year old back to the range today. Worked a little more on the rifles. Then what he really wanted. PISTOLS. Especially the single action 22s.
    Took him well off to the side of the range and worked with him on his stance, grip and sighting. Took him a little while to relax but when he got it, he got it.
    Shot first with the GSG 1911 22lr, then on to a High Standard Double 9. Took a few minutes to get him to slow down. He thought he had to empty it when it came on target. Let him know that how fast was not an issue and I didn't care if he had to lower it every 2 or 3 rounds. The only thing that mattered was accuracy, not speed.
    He did pretty damn good when he figured it out. Half size silhouettes at 5 yards. He has never shot a pistol before.
    He did better than the couple shooting just down from us. Waaaay better.
    5a60a3d128418a993ace7be021d01eab.jpg
    58b9314f4c8ab0e097f5eb7d59c3816b.jpg

Great to see you teaching them young, I do the same thing with all 3 of my boys. It used to be common but not anymore.

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    I was at the range and a young man @ 12-13 ask to see my Wilson. I dropped the mag and ejected the round and handed him the pistol. He immediately rechecked the gun and locked back the slide. Impressed I complimented the young man on handling the gun his dad smiled and winked at me.

Top Bottom