• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    The bush axe I bought and used for land clearing in Africa has finally busted. If I was smart, I would have bought a couple spare handles while I was there.

I'm not impressed with what I saw at Home Depot. The one "local" hardware store offering was a hair skinny.

Any suggestions? Anything hardwood is fine. I'm thinking a nice cedar post might be the ticket.
    DK Firearms

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359256703.658802.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359256722.820814.jpg

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    What is that?

Bois d' arc is to wood as diamonds are to rocks.

Have you ever seen a horse apple? They grow on Bois d' arc trees (pronounced 'bow dark').

They grow everywhere here in North Texas. I've got fence posts made of Bois d' arc that were placed well over 100 years ago that are still stronger than the steel t posts we use today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359258813.519748.jpg

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I've only known that tree as an Osage Orange.

I'm happy to learn that it is so strong.

It can be discouraging to see one when clearing land.
    Ironwood (hop hornbeam) and American Hawthorne are real tough too.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Bois D Arc wood is really cool in a fire place. I like to put a log in oak wood fire and watch it spark up. It throws out different colors. Pretty cool. I heard they burn too hot to have all the logs Bois D Arc. Supposedly bad for the fire place.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Bois D Arc wood is really cool in a fire place. I like to put a log in oak wood fire and watch it spark up. It throws out different colors. Pretty cool. I heard they burn too hot to have all the logs Bois D Arc. Supposedly bad for the fire place.

You can smelt iron over a Bois d, arc fire.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Ok, reopening this thread. The limb TXARGUY sent me is beautiful, but just too short to use as a felling axe, which is what I need. I'm planning to make it into an awesome camp axe, though.

It's Sunday night, so I haven't called around town yet to see who has what. I found a really cool guide online for choosing handles, but I'd like to put my hands on something before ordering. http://tennesseehickory.com/images/catalog_lr.pdf

If anyone has seen a good assortment of axe handles around San Antonio, Austin, or the surrounding, please let me know.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Ok, reopening this thread. The limb TXARGUY sent me is beautiful, but just too short to use as a felling axe, which is what I need. I'm planning to make it into an awesome camp axe, though.

It's Sunday night, so I haven't called around town yet to see who has what. I found a really cool guide online for choosing handles, but I'd like to put my hands on something before ordering. http://tennesseehickory.com/images/catalog_lr.pdf

If anyone has seen a good assortment of axe handles around San Antonio, Austin, or the surrounding, please let me know.

I have one of their handles. They're good stuff.

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    Tag for interest, as I just got my grandfather's old single bit Plumb axe. It needs a new handle, I would love to make it out of Bois D Arc, is it hard to work with? I would have to try to find a piece and make it.

Where would be a good place to get a decent sized piece of Orange Osage or Bois D arc wood? I would like to give it a go a making my own handle.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom