• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Sounds like the officer was hired just as the covid hit so I have to wonder how his training and OJT went after the riots plus the wave of officers quitting.
    Officer shot immediately after his warning, not allowing even a possibility of compliance.

That said, the guy was apparently a Californian, it happened in Austin, and I'm not sure I care...
    Hurley's Gold

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Sounds like the officer was hired just as the covid hit so I have to wonder how his training and OJT went after the riots plus the wave of officers quitting.
    He completed the same academy training and field training as every other officer.

2y3m sworn so out before the riots. He would have started the academy another 8m earlier.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    When the cops showed up to an emergency where someone was shooting into a house, the subject turned toward the officers with a rifle and the officers fired on him.

Really, what do you expect them to do? Wait for an unknown person already shooting into a house shoot them first? Never!

Dead guy created the situation that ended his life. No one but him is to blame.

Could not see where he turned towards officers, but basic training should be you need to be aware when you call to someone, they will turn towards you.

Did notice officer almost went into line of fire with an empty gun.

As for what do I expect police to do? I will start with announce your presence, and be in a position to allow subject to comply.

Last edited:
    Reactions: gll

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Yeah, I'm really glad I live in a place where I can step outside at night, fire a couple rounds (even at my own house, if I please), and not get a response from either neighbors or police...

Me too.

Shot a 2 pigs off my front porch on Wednesday, 1 from driveway Thursday, and 2 more from 2nd floor balcony last night. Now I got 600 buzzards in my field.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Another thing I see here is as more and more people carry, there are more and more interactions with police, and neither side seems to be well equipped on how to deal with it well.

Aaron Dean trial seated yesterday. Another shooting that did not need to happen.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Officer shot immediately after his warning, not allowing even a possibility of compliance.

That said, the guy was apparently a Californian, it happened in Austin, and I'm not sure I care...
    How much "compliance" do you expect an officer, or anyone to wait for when someone is reported to be pointing guns down the street IS actively shooting into a possibly occupied house and he comes out towards you with a rifle at a low ready. I wouldn't have an issue if the officer hadn't said anything. He did, which shows the quality of training, but "waiting" is not a risk he or any person should take in that situation.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Could not see where he turned towards officers, but basic training should be you need to be aware when you call to someone, they will turn towards you.

Did notice officer almost went into line of fire with an empty gun.

As for what do I expect police to do? I will start with announce your presence, and be in a position to allow subject to comply.

Watch the ring camera.

Subj turned before he was called to.

There is a time for talking and a time for action. The subj could see the police cars, that police were there wasn't a secret.. This was a time for action and announcements are talking and I cannot think of anything I would have done differently with what was known at the time.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Watch the ring camera.

Subj turned before he was called to.

There is a time for talking and a time for action. This was a time for action and announcements are talking and I cannot think of anything I would have done differently with what was known at the time.

Car flew by and stopped... I'd turn too!

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    How much "compliance" do you expect an officer, or anyone to wait for when someone is reported to be pointing guns down the street IS actively shooting into a possibly occupied house and he comes out towards you with a rifle at a low ready. I wouldn't have an issue if the officer hadn't said anything. He did, which shows the quality of training, but "waiting" is not a risk he or any person should take in that situation.

So now he was coming at the officer?

There has to be a better way to deal with a person breaking no laws in possession of a firearm on their own property.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016

There has to be a better way to deal with a person breaking no laws in possession of a firearm on their own property.
    He did fire it into a house a couple times...

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying.

Was firing the rifle into his house legal?

ETA: Ninja'd.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    He did fire it into a house a couple times...

Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying.

Was firing the rifle into his house legal?

I do not know. With benefit of after shooting video, I think it is safe to say he was off his meds. Talking to himself, shooting into house (probably not legal in subdivision), but officers did not see him shoot into house. They may have been told that on 911 call. But officers did not know he he was a home invader or a good guy protecting his home from an invader.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Unless there is some more info or social media posts we probably will never know the story here but I can't fault the police on this one as they have the right to protect themselves from what is a believed to be a threat to their lives. Unfortunately Army Sgt. Daniel Perry is still going to trial for the shooting of Garrett Foster in 2020, you remember the AK47 guy (Foster) at the Austin riots who by every indication looks like he is about to shoot Perry. So, LEO okay to preserve their lives, civilian (not acting as military at the time) has to fight the judicial system. There is always a two tier system of justice. Sorry for the topic change but it was Austin.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

Stop ignoring facts. I know you aren't so dense as to not know the story at this point, so that leaves you intentionally clouding them.

The facts:

Shooting in the city is a crime.

It wasn't known it was his property at the time.

Shooting into a house is deadly conduct and SHOULD be presumed to be deadly conduct (also a crime) until shown otherwise.

Now then:
    If the facts, known afterward, was this was a gang banger high on meth and shooting up a rival's house. You could not seriously have an objection with the police's conduct of stopping the threat immediately.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Stop ignoring facts. I know you aren't so dense as to not know the story at this point, so that leaves you intentionally clouding them.

The facts:

Shooting in the city is a crime.

It wasn't known it was his property at the time.

Dont live in Austin so do not know if this is downtown or in suburbs. I did say probably illegal in subdivision.

First sentence of 2nd paragraph Austin PD statement YOU posted (#22): The caller remained on the phone line with Austin 9-1-1 Communications while officers responded to the scene. The caller said the man was pointing his rifle at the interior of his home. The caller then stated the man just fired into his own home.

So tell me now who is ignoring facts?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Now then:
    If the facts, known afterward, was this was a gang banger high on meth and shooting up a rival's house. You could not seriously have an objection with the police's conduct of stopping the threat immediately.

I am not outcome based.

I do not want to see homeowners shot, nor do I want to see cops jailed. But that seems to be happening a lot around here and there has to be a better way than shoot first. When I grew up, you could not name a single cop jailed for shooting someone illegally.

Now it seems like such a regular occurence I cannot even keep up with them all, and that is just DFW. As I pointed out, Aaron Dean trial gets real Monday. Another shooting that did not need to happen. 2 lives ruined.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Dont live in Austin so do not know if this is downtown or in suburbs. I did say probably illegal in subdivision.

First sentence of 2nd paragraph Austin PD statement YOU posted (#22): The caller remained on the phone line with Austin 9-1-1 Communications while officers responded to the scene. The caller said the man was pointing his rifle at the interior of his home. The caller then stated the man just fired into his own home.

So tell me now who is ignoring facts?
    Since we're talking facts, the fact that it was his home was not known untill after the incident occurred. The story and calls, as reported innthe story only mention at the onset that a man was armed with a gun and pointing it at them shooting into a home.

Don't shoot the messenger, just sayin.

I agree he could have waited a half beat longer but I also see it from the officers position of arriving on the scene of an obvious active shooter and him following his training which is the first on scene seeks out and engages.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Since we're talking facts, the fact that it was his home was not known untill after the incident occurred. The story and calls, as reported innthe story only mention at the onset that a man was armed with a gun and pointing it at them shooting into a home.

Did you not read what I posted? 911 caller literally told police it was his home, and it was before he even fired, which was before police arrived, he was givng live updates as he remained on line:

The caller remained on the phone line with Austin 9-1-1 Communications while officers responded to the scene. The caller said the man was pointing his rifle at the interior of his home. The caller then stated the man just fired into his own home.

Now it is possible dispatcher did not tell this to cops, but it was known to be his home.

Top Bottom