• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    As someone front line to that shit show - would you recommend someone looking to enter LE actually apply for APD, or run and go look elsewhere? Is there a likelihood that leadership of the PD and the city is going to unfuck the issues faced, or continue to deteriorate as more officers take their retirement and run?
    The issue will have to be unfucked... if the City won't do it the State will.

The "doing cop work" is still the same, but we are insanely short handed, 1995 staffing levels for a city that has quadrupled in size...

I wouldn't talk someone wanting to come to APD out of it at all, there is more OT than you can shake a stick at*, but there are a lot of cities that support their police and pay just as good or better.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The cynic in me says this is really about money.
    Austin.citygov “defunds” police. That money then goes to liberal bullshite hand outs and graft. Libtard city gov gets to spout off about it. They damn sure aren’t cutting taxes in the amount that got defunded.
    Then the state funded police come in and do police work.
    Austin isn’t paying for it. All state residents are. That’s not right.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I think it will take 3-5 years to bring us steady ONCE the city decides to fix the problems they created, then another 5-7 to get where we need to be.

I'm just spitballing and only basing my observation on the huge differences in attitude towards life from this age group to others that came prior. But sadly, I'm thinking that those currently 20-40ish, in general just don't want to be a LEO, among other things as well and that the problem in staffing these positions/jobs is going to go on for much longer.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    The cynic in me says this is really about money.
    Austin.citygov “defunds” police. That money then goes to liberal bullshite hand outs and graft. Libtard city gov gets to spout off about it. They damn sure aren’t cutting taxes in the amount that got defunded.
    Then the state funded police come in and do police work.
    Austin isn’t paying for it. All state residents are. That’s not right.

True!

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    C2300,

What do you attribute to your 2/3 washout rate of recruits?

Recruits too out of shape or simply not bright enough or...?

After he mentioned the washouts - I looked at the recruiting page to get an idea of what's up - the standards aren't super loose, but aren't the toughest I've seen as far as physical fitness tests go. The test, per the website, is a 1.5 mile run, plus pushup and situps - all timed of course, and you must score 70% on *2* of the three to pass when applying, and score 80% on 2 to pass the Academy - doesn't seem all that difficult of a physical fitness portion unless you're really a lardass who won't move. I started to wonder too - is it something else washing them out, or just lack of work ethic and give a shit of the current generation of recruits?

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I’m betting the high recruit drop out is mainly due to special snowflakeism.
    Being a cop, a good one anyway, kind of requires self sacrifice. The recruits come up against that eventually. This is where they say No Way and walk. They don’t have the fortitude. Not everyone is cut out for that.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    C2300,

What do you attribute to your 2/3 washout rate of recruits?

Recruits too out of shape or simply not bright enough or...?
    Academy washout rates are usually around 1/3 from what I've seen, but the reasons vary between

being out of shape (it doesn't take much shape to be fine, and its not a secret that a PD academy will require some fitness so really it is a lack of maturity and foresight.

academically deficient, i.e failing tests, which I suspect is due to them being spoonfed answers and expecting that the written expectations were not serious.

A lack of being able to either turn "fight mode" on or off, which probably comes from being raised in "all fighting is bad" environment.

A few are lost due to them having applied "to get a job" so when they learn what this job is, they don't want to do it anymore.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    After he mentioned the washouts - I looked at the recruiting page to get an idea of what's up - the standards aren't super loose, but aren't the toughest I've seen as far as physical fitness tests go. The test, per the website, is a 1.5 mile run, plus pushup and situps - all timed of course, and you must score 70% on *2* of the three to pass when applying, and score 80% on 2 to pass the Academy - doesn't seem all that difficult of a physical fitness portion unless you're really a lardass who won't move. I started to wonder too - is it something else washing them out, or just lack of work ethic and give a shit of the current generation of recruits?
    Most cadets don't fail physically, its academic, decision making (leadership) or emotional incompatibility.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    c2300,

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate it.

I would expect 'farm & ranch kids' would provide a higher group of those able and willing to graduate.

Top Bottom