• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I'm pretty sure this questions been asked before, but is there anyone in Austin who can/ has the tools to press a barrel or do riveting? I have everything for a AK build including an already bent receiver.. just need to build it.

Thanks for any info.
    ARJ Defense ad

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    I do.

100_2301.jpg

BradSelph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Austin
    Just a reminder, with a type 1 FFL you are forbidden to do manufacturing. The way ATF is now looking at AK-47 builds you must have an SOT with a type 1 FFL to be able to do AK, FAL or any build’s on parts kits.

I also highly suggest if you are doing any type of gunsmithing to get liability insurance; currently it isn’t required but I wouldn’t chance it. We are currently using Joseph Carrillo if you need there contact information just ask.

I am not trying to rain on your parade but I would hate to see anyone get screwed by ATF for not complying with their new laws.

danprkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Pflugerville
    Is pressing a barrel a manufacture? I suppose if you routinely did ground up builds, but for some guy to bring you a barrel and receiver, and have the 2 mated would just be a barrel install wouldn't it? Just asking.

mage2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    south of texas capitol
    I have a press and have helped with individual builds in the past, personally i didnt do a rivet build but the person i helped did.
    took a bit o time but a wasnt difficult with the right tools

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    Pressing in one barrel is not manufacturing. And according to my most recent compliance inspection and wording found in ATF Ruling 2009-1, doing a complete build for an individual customer is also not manufacturing. In this recently published ruling, ATF was talking about painting, camouflaging and engraving firearms, but made reference to assembling parts kits. There's probably other rulings, there may even be others that conflict with this one but I think this one's the most current.

"It was determined that a licensed dealer could assemble firearms from component parts on an individual basis, but could not engage in the business of assembling firearms from component parts in quantity lots for purposes of sale of distribution without a manufacturer's license."

http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2009-1.pdf

Top Bottom