• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newbirdhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    245 items - impressive. The law is what it is and we need to follow it until we can get it removed but it seems the fact the guy is a hero and is battling cancer should allow him some slack. It's not like he's a terrorist or any kind of threat. Seems overly bureaucratic.

lobo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2011
    Texas
    Should be using their efforts looking for terrorist coming into our borders instead of someone fighting cancer. Could have at least called him and discussed. Jerks!

TVegas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2021
    The Woodlands
    The truth about this whole situation is probably a lot less sexy than we’re giving it credit for.

He probably knew he had cancer and may die, so he needed to start getting his affairs in order. Letting the SOT expire and offloading all the NFA items that were owned under the SOT may have been part of that. But it isn’t easy to sell off hundreds of machine guns at once.

The depressing reality may be that Vickers (and his lawyer) reached out to the ATF and worked out an agreement to surrender everything he wasn’t able to transfer before the SOT expired. That may have been the easiest solution for a guy battling cancer and worried his time was limited.

I know it’s fun and easy to trash the ATF, but if that’s how it all unfolded, then the ATF may have actually done him a favor…

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The truth about this whole situation is probably a lot less sexy than we’re giving it credit for.

He probably knew he had cancer and may die, so he needed to start getting his affairs in order. Letting the SOT expire and offloading all the NFA items that were owned under the SOT may have been part of that. But it isn’t easy to sell off hundreds of machine guns at once.

The depressing reality may be that Vickers (and his lawyer) reached out to the ATF and worked out an agreement to surrender everything he wasn’t able to transfer before the SOT expired. That may have been the easiest solution for a guy battling cancer and worried his time was limited.

I know it’s fun and easy to trash the ATF, but if that’s how it all unfolded, then the ATF may have actually done him a favor…

Nobody would give up hundreds of thousands in MGs. He could have easily sold them before that.

Besides when you voluntarily surrender, they are not listed as seized. He also had non MGs seized.

And ammo getting seized? Only one reason for that.

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    little may he have known our government was going to give the farm away

TVegas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2021
    The Woodlands
    Nobody would give up hundreds of thousands in MGs. He could have easily sold them before that.

Besides when you voluntarily surrender, they are not listed as seized. He also had non MGs seized.

And ammo getting seized? Only one reason for that.
    It’s really not as simple or valuable to sell some machine guns as you might expect. Post-1986 machine guns aren’t worth what pre-86 transferable ones are, and they can only be transferred to certain entities under certain circumstances. He couldn’t just have a yard sale. Check out V-Tach’s earlier posts (#50 in particular) for more on this.

I’m definitely just speculating, but if the ATF showed up with warrants and a SWAT team, kicked the door in, and shot some dogs, I’m sure we would have heard about all this much sooner.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    It’s really not as simple or valuable to sell some machine guns as you might expect. Post-1986 machine guns aren’t worth what pre-86 transferable ones are, and they can only be transferred to certain entities under certain circumstances. He couldn’t just have a yard sale. Check out V-Tach’s earlier posts (#50 in particular) for more on this.
    Actually it is.

I am an FFL/SOT 07 and could have bought the whole collection. So he could have gotten a lot of money vs nothing. And I am sure lots of other FFL/SOTs would have been interested too, if he offered it up.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Actually it is.

I am an FFL/SOT 07 and could have bought the whole collection. So he could have gotten a lot of money vs nothing. And I am sure lots of other FFL/SOTs would have been interested too, if he offered it up.

Vickers had been selling off Posties on Gunbroker thru an intermediary for the last year or so. I posted a link to one up thread.

Top Bottom