• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I handle all of the money. I only consult with her on big stuff like vehicles or houses but ultimately, it is up to me to decide what we are doing. Its not from a domineering stance or anything, my wife is confident that I will make good decisions. She understands I work in a job field I hate to bring home the bacon so we can live the way we do.

We have been doing this for a decade now and it works for us. My wife is very traditional but she does work and any money she has is hers to keep. Currently, I pay every bill except for one bill that she funnels all of her money into (her choice). Next up is her car so I will continue to pay all the bills with the exception of her paying pretty much all of the money she makes into the car payment every month. This allows us to pay everything off early. The big plan is to have everything we have payed off by 40 so the banks don't own us anymore.

Kinda odd for people our age to do this but we come from a similar culture, upbringing and set of morals. She is a confident woman with a career (that will go on hold indefinitely while we have kids) but she isnt some board room bull dyke in a suit.

But I sure as shit dont ask permission from anyone to do anything. I love my wife and would never make a decision that would put us out on the street

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    New Gun? Unless it's a Barrett .50 BMG or an NFA nope......don't need to otherwise........

Like others, I wouldn't spend several thousand without consulting her....that's not asking permission.....

I laugh at the commercial at Christmas where the lady surprises her husband with a new Mercedes................BS....

fwiw....35 years here........and everyday is an anniversary in our marriage..........lol...

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    I will just throw this caution out here for all the guys who handle all the finances. In the event of your unexpected and tragic death or hospitalization, your wife may very well be totally at a loss on dealing with bills, insurance(health,life, auto, house, etc) She may have no idea of where and what bank accounts you guys have and other finacial situations. I have had to help a few wives of friends out in the last 20 years after their husbands died with figuring out the financial situation of their family. I am still helping the son of my best friend who died at the end of December with the will, insurance, mortgage, etc. SO please, share all the financial stuff with them and at least keep them up to date on bank issues.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will just throw this caution out here for all the guys who handle all the finances. In the event of your unexpected and tragic death or hospitalization, your wife may very well be totally at a loss on dealing with bills, insurance(health,life, auto, house, etc) She may have no idea of where and what bank accounts you guys have and other finacial situations. I have had to help a few wives of friends out in the last 20 years after their husbands died with figuring out the financial situation of their family. I am still helping the son of my best friend who died at the end of December with the will, insurance, mortgage, etc. SO please, share all the financial stuff with them and at least keep them up to date on bank issues.
    Excellent reminder. My wife and I had this discussion the other day.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    It helps when you and the wife are on the same page when it comes to finances. I don't ask her how she spends money and she doesn't ask me, because it really isn't necessary. We both think long term, so we try to save more than spend.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Yep exactly this. My wife is 100% in the know with finances. She just doesn't handle any of it. Plus if I die, she is going to be loaded from the life insurance. She could pay off any debt we have 5x over atleast

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I constantly update the better half with the current state of our finances, and where the funds are. It confuses her sometimes (I juggle a half-dozen different accounts w/different earmarks in my head, often moving funds between them if needed). We tease about the finances a lot, but IF I want something, I'll get it - just as she will. If it's out of her budget, I find what/where it is, and make the proper arrangements. She waits for nothing longer than 48 hours (my choice). I might wait months to a year for something on my list, but I don't care - it's not a "got to have".

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Money doesn't play a big part in our marriage. Then again, I'm pretty low maintenance. She's the one pushing me to get a new gun safe. I'll wait for the next sale. We've got more than we need. Damn near everything we want.
    Ain't no complaining here.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Married 34 years so far and marriage is take and give but you should always give more than you take. I haven't done everything right but big decisions or financially significant should be discussed. There isn't any mine versus yours in our marriage. A little over a year ago I decided I wanted to splurge on what I deem as an expensive vehicle that I did not need but wanted now the kids are gone and I had driven cheap vehicles for a few decades. I told her what I wanted and she said let's go buy one now, we're not getting any younger. I was surprised since it really wasn't needed but I'm sure it was due to me giving more than I take.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    My wifey and I keep each other apprised for largish purchases, and make joint decisions on big stuff (like buying a car) - but if we've got cash to spare there's no need to ask the other before we buy something. We are spouses, not master-servants. If I want a new fishing rod, a gun, or tool - I don't ask. If she wants a new sweater, shoes, purse etc she doesn't ask. We're adults.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I never ask my wife’s permission for anything. I just spent $3000 ordering the new Beretta 92FS Centennial Limited Edition. Showed her the order and told her its my money and I deserve it; period.

The doctor says the eye should reopen in a couple of days.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Have worked hard so that the wife will be okay if something happens to me......

If she finds someone else after, it's okay......she didn't do it because she had to......

A friend passed away and left his wife a house free and clear, no debt and an income she could be comfortable with, she hooked up with a clown that had nothing, never earned anything and was jobless......she married him......

I haven't talked to her since................

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    My wife and I are both retired. We owe nobody. The household bills are divided. I gave up a long time ago asking her about buying something as her answer is the same every time, 'Whatever you want do". I still tell her anyway. If either of us want's something we buy it. Savings accounts are off limits for both of us. Fairly simple and it works for us.

Top Bottom