• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aztex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2021
    Livingston, TX
    Howdy!

Just moved back to Texas (UTEP graduate!) from Arizona where I have a CCW permit.

I'm waiting for my drivers license to arrive soon and there's a number on the real one lacking on temporary so I can't log onto the Texas DPS (I think that's it) site to see what I must complete.

I suppose as of when I surrendered my AZ DL my AZ CCW is no longer valid although they issue to out of staters.... I've even had registration sent to Texas address a few years back when spending a few months to care for parent. So AZ is a bit easy to deal with in that respect.

As luck would have it I have to hit the road for business within a couple weeks but would like the get the ball rolling while home.

Any one here made this switch and can share their experience?

Thanks!

AzTex!
    Capitol Armory ad

Tex1961

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Plano, Texas
    My understanding is that you simply have to wait until your Texas DL arrives with your actual number. Once done just create an account with Texas LTC site and fill out the forms, pay the fee and sign up for a class. If you still had a valid AZ drivers license, you could have registered with that but since you turned it in you’ll just have to wait for your Texas license. While you wait may I suggest downloading the Texas LTC-16 manual. It’s long but covers all laws related to carrying a handgun within the state of Texas. I recommend anyone who carries to at least peruse it.

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Your AZ permit is valid as long as you keep renewing it.

I moved here a decade ago and kept my Az permit as its cheaper and easier than getting a TX permit. I just changed address to my texas address and renew every time its up.

Aztex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2021
    Livingston, TX
    My understanding is that you simply have to wait until your Texas DL arrives with your actual number. Once done just create an account with Texas LTC site and fill out the forms, pay the fee and sign up for a class. If you still had a valid AZ drivers license, you could have registered with that but since you turned it in you’ll just have to wait for your Texas license. While you wait may I suggest downloading the Texas LTC-16 manual. It’s long but covers all laws related to carrying a handgun within the state of Texas. I recommend anyone who carries to at least peruse it.

Thanks!

That's how it looks to me but I'm curious of how the AZ out of state CCW works. Not sure if only for residents of other states who reside in AZ or are visiting. Or if I can get mine simply changed to out of state status.... Since a permit is not required in AZ I don't imagine they'd be too hard nosed about it...

But next time I get gov't will be the first time! :D

AzTex

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Just change your address with DPS. Simple form.

Some states, like Florida, only recognize the permit if you are a resident of the state its issued from. That's the only thing I've noted. But I rarely goto Florida and their other firearm laws make it a non issue as I only go on vacation and you can carry in the vehicle without a permit.

Basically, other than that, every state I goto has CC or excepts AZ permit as is or I can carry according to their laws or concealed is concealed so... not that I would ever knowingly break the law. I've carried 24x7 for nearly 40 years so I'm not stopping now. I dont goto shit states anymore anyways. Sadly that's starting to look like AZ fits that description. I go back a couple times a year and dont recognize my home state anymore.

I'll get a TX permit eventually or they will have CC soon hopefully.

Tex1961

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Plano, Texas
    @candcallen is correct, Texas will recognize your AZ permit, but you are still bound by Texas Law while carrying here.. Obviously I'm predigest being an LTC instructor when I say it's probably better just to get your Texas LTC and be done with it... 4 - 5 hour class and a quick trip to the range and your all set...

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Texas laws are a little different. Think AZ before CC with a few restrictions on the places you can carry. Signs to look out for. What constitutes a bar etc.

Learn them.

Also learn TX use of force laws. Not really different but there are nuances to understand with property and night time etc.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Howdy!

Just moved back to Texas (UTEP graduate!) from Arizona where I have a CCW permit.

I'm waiting for my drivers license to arrive soon and there's a number on the real one lacking on temporary so I can't log onto the Texas DPS (I think that's it) site to see what I must complete.

I suppose as of when I surrendered my AZ DL my AZ CCW is no longer valid although they issue to out of staters.... I've even had registration sent to Texas address a few years back when spending a few months to care for parent. So AZ is a bit easy to deal with in that respect.

As luck would have it I have to hit the road for business within a couple weeks but would like the get the ball rolling while home.

Thanks!

AzTex!
    If you're in DFW, TEX1961 is the only ccw instructor I know that I personally met. Give him a holler, hes a decent guy to talk to.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Howdy!

Thanks!

AzTex!

AzTex,

IF you want my advice, I would KEEP the AZ permit even after you have your Texas license.
    (I plan to renew my VA permit when it comes time to renew =10 BUCKS a year isn't much money..)

Aztex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2021
    Livingston, TX
    Thanks all!

I hope to obtain my Texas LTC but it may be a few months before I can due to having to travel for business. I like the refresher course to help me focus again. I plan on taking the online course and then I hope I can take the range portion when I return.

Meanwhile as suggested I'll send a change of address and see how that flies with AZ.

AzTex

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    AzTex,

IF you want my advice, I would KEEP the AZ permit even after you have your Texas license.
    (I plan to renew my VA permit when it comes time to renew =10 BUCKS a year isn't much money..)
    VA non-res is $100. Will they let you renew your VA resident permit once you leave? I have VA permit since I work there a lot (and I collect them) and it says Non-Resident on it.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    VA non-res is $100. Will they let you renew your VA resident permit once you leave? I have VA permit since I work there a lot (and I collect them) and it says Non-Resident on it.

ScottDLS,

FYI, I have a good VA address. Also WV, too.

yours, satx

Last edited:

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    ScottDS,

FYI, I have a good VA address. Also WV, too.

yours, satx
    Heh heh...Back in the '80's I used to do that with driver's licenses. I had NY, NC, and VA...eventually I turned in my NY for Texas in 1990 and the other ones expired. Now I do it with CCW's. For a while I had TX (of course), FL, NH, ME, VA, CT, AZ, DC, PA... I've always wanted to get MA, IL, NV. NY, NJ, CA, HI are never gonna happen.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Yep, if you read it. The written test is a breeze to pass.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Heh heh...Back in the '80's I used to do that with driver's licenses. I had NY, NC, and VA...eventually I turned in my NY for Texas in 1990 and the other ones expired. Now I do it with CCW's. For a while I had TX (of course), FL, NH, ME, VA, CT, AZ, DC, PA... I've always wanted to get MA, IL, NV. NY, NJ, CA, HI are never gonna happen.

ScottDLS,

In VA & WV, IF you own real property, you are legally considered a VA or WV RESIDENT.

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom