Capitol Armory ad

Are you prepared after the defense incident to interact with the police?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    When the police arrive, advise them I’m standing on a weapon. Then advise that I’m a victim of a crime
    Those are two excellent refinements. The first avoids misunderstandings. The second just may flip the responding officers thinking so that they think of me as "Complainant" instead of as "the guy who did the shooting."

Good, good points. I may have to find a way to fold them into my response.
    Guns International

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Why leave the area?......

1. If the situation was dangerous enough that you had to use your weapon, what makes you believe the danger has passed? Best to get to a safe area (police station, attorney's office, etc.) to contact help from there.

2. Even if you invoke your right to attorney, that doesn't mean the police will stop questioning. They'll just keep doing it "unofficially" until you say something worth noting in their investigation. Under that amount of stress, their tactics tend to wear down the interviewee until they get what they want.....rights be damned.

3. Police unions and policy allow time to recover and representation after a OIS. You're just invoking the same privilege as a citizen. Level the playing field.

4. Using an attorney to negotiate surrender to custody is used often and without repercussion. And no DA is going to jeopardize their case by going around an attorney to apprehend their client. That's good faith in action.

Again, the Rittenhouse incident publicly shows what a lot of SD cases have looked like for decades. In these cases, the police and DA are not your friends. And getting an attorney involved ASAP is as much a part of SD as is your choice of weapon and training.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Not in Houston, I hope, because I've previously told a story about stunning incompetence on the part of a young, female assistant DA in Houston and I sincerely hope that I wasn't insulting your sister.
    Ha! She’s in MO. I do appreciate the sentiment though. She’s one of the good guys. Follows the rules and has a real drive to convict those guilty of crimes. Gotta appreciate rural Midwest values.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Those are two excellent refinements. The first avoids misunderstandings. The second just may flip the responding officers thinking so that they think of me as "Complainant" instead of as "the guy who did the shooting."

Good, good points. I may have to find a way to fold them into my response.
    Technically, he is right. If you were attacked, and used up to deadly force in self defense, that doesn't change the fact that you initially were the victim.

It's the attacker's sad fault he picked the wrong victim.

mmeece

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2020
    Gainesville
    Why leave the area?......

1. If the situation was dangerous enough that you had to use your weapon, what makes you believe the danger has passed? Best to get to a safe area (police station, attorney's office, etc.) to contact help from there.

2. Even if you invoke your right to attorney, that doesn't mean the police will stop questioning. They'll just keep doing it "unofficially" until you say something worth noting in their investigation. Under that amount of stress, their tactics tend to wear down the interviewee until they get what they want.....rights be damned.

3. Police unions and policy allow time to recover and representation after a OIS. You're just invoking the same privilege as a citizen. Level the playing field.

4. Using an attorney to negotiate surrender to custody is used often and without repercussion. And no DA is going to jeopardize their case by going around an attorney to apprehend their client. That's good faith in action.

Again, the Rittenhouse incident publicly shows what a lot of SD cases have looked like for decades. In these cases, the police and DA are not your friends. And getting an attorney involved ASAP is as much a part of SD as is your choice of weapon and training.
    I hadn't thought of it in terms of #3, but your other points are precisely what I had in mind as well. Again, I don't think this applies to most situations but there are some that it definitely would apply to.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    So Kim Potter just got convicted. Remember above where I said just STFU? These were her utterances after the shooting:

1) "I grabbed the wrong ****ing gun"
    2) "Holy ****, I just shot him"
    3) "I'm going to prison"

She is 3 for 3! Basically incriminated herself.

Had she just STFU, she might have been able to beat the charges as a case deadly force being warranted could be made.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    So Kim Potter just got convicted. Remember above where I said just STFU? These were her utterances after the shooting:

1) "I grabbed the wrong ****ing gun"
    2) "Holy ****, I just shot him"
    3) "I'm going to prison"

She is 3 for 3! Basically incriminated herself.

Had she just STFU, she might have been able to beat the charges as a case deadly force being warranted could be made.
    I absolutely and 100% agree.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    The deputy from Oregon that got me my chl and my boss a former deputy, both have advice I agree with.

1, do your part to make sure it’s a justifiable shoot.

2, if anything is to be said, certainly almost nothing at all, it would be: “I wanted him to stop”

Also remember that after a shooting it can be a traumatic experience and nothing wrong with using that and politely referring questions to an attorney.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    I started this topic with Massad Ayoob discussing post-shooting interaction with police. Next is getting a lawyer and not just anyone. In this video he discusses that "...the right lawyer isn't always the most obvious or most expensive lawyer and he can help you know what to look for."

A key trait is that the best counsel for your righteous self-defense incident is one who can argue an 'affirmative defense' instead of the usual 'criminal defense'. Massad explains the difference.

Attachments

• court rm.jpg
      court rm.jpg
      123.7 KB · Views: 75

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Question. So you protect yourself/family/others. Spouse and maybe your kids are witness. They STFU? Spouse can use spousal protection? How to keep LE from 'coercing' them? They WILL be questioned.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas

The Police Think You're The Criminal At The Scene (Now What?)​

From the USCCA more common sense advice what to do after the self-defense incident. It helps to hear from many voices on this subject so you come out it unharmed physically, emotionally and legally as much as possible. Stay safe out there pilgrim.

Attachments

• 5992df00a35a195cada15fb8b4dc8aa7.jpg
      5992df00a35a195cada15fb8b4dc8aa7.jpg
      15.9 KB · Views: 93

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    From Attorney Tom Grieve channel Part I: "Often people forget that just because you survived the kinetic incident, the lethal force encounter in your home or in the street, that there is another lethal force encounter coming: the justice system. If you lose that one you can spend life behind bars. So why do you need to call 911? That is this video for every conceal carrier."

In part II Tom explains how to handle what to say/not say to 911 operator. Elsewhere on this forum are discussions about the pro/con of having a legal rep on call just in case often called self defense legal protection or carry insurance.

Attachments

• seo-1260-bs-139290365-1200x675.jpg
      seo-1260-bs-139290365-1200x675.jpg
      37.2 KB · Views: 55

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Massad Ayoob has decades of experience as a gun instructor. Many of his students needed to use their gun to scare away a threat. But one of the common mistakes he has seen is forgetting to call the police. Massad explains why you need to call in after a defensive gun use, every time.

Here is short version of video

Here is entire video

I read/heard some where that there are 500K to 2 million defensive gun uses where no shots fired. Should be a lot of calls made.

Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    I was actually watching “Armed Attorneys” on YouTube yesterday and they mentioned this as well. First one to the phone wins. And of course the scumbags know how the system works and will try to use it to their advantage. Always call 911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Tom Grieve channel cites studies that say between 500,000 and 3,000,000 defensive gun uses (DGU) annually. If so why haven't we seen more reports. Here is a follow-up video by Tom about why people don't call call police after DGU.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom