• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have a few questions about some dirt along the gulf coast..

I made the run between High Island and Sabine dozens of times in my Jeeps. The road (87) is washed out and it's rough as Hell. In some places, black dirt/mud is exposed beneath the sand. I checked into that and was told by the Ranger in Sabine that the black stuff is the remains of an ancient marsh. There are many bones imbedded in the marsh and as storms come in, new marsh is exposed.

A word of caution about that black marsh. It isn't mud. In several of our trips down the "Gauntlet" as we called it, we saw a shrimp boat that had washed ashore and gotten stuck in the black marsh mud. It was stuck for a long time. They called a tractor/shovel /cat in to dig the shrimper out. The shovel got stuck and flooded at high tide. They called in another tracked shovel and got it stuck in the black crap! I tried to Jeep around that mess and got my Wrangler stuck and needed to get it pulled out! I have pulled more than 12 vehicles out of that crap with my Jeeps! There is no bottom to that stuff.

If you're at the beach and see black..........stay the Hell out of it! It will swallow your 4 wheeler! The worst places are near the water line where the black is covered by a thin layer of sand. You can''t see the black but it's there waiting to swallow your Jeep! We took a "high road" and a "low road." When we saw black, we headed for the higher road.

I don't know if that's the dirt you were referring to but that's my experience at the coast.

Flash

Waterguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    Baytown
    I'm not a geologist... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...

Ya know when I made this post I just knew someone would use that line...lol

Flash,
    I know that mess your talking about all too well...The stuff I am talking about is a weee bit deeper, about 100 feet down.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Can you describe what this soil looks like, ill I'm seeing on the Geotechnical Engineering reports I'm finding for the Galveston region are showing Course to fine sand, and Sandy Clay at 100 feet. I cant find any reports going deeper that 100 feet.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Im not a geo but Im a construction inspector. Im the guy that makes sure the foundations for buildings drilled that deep are in the right bearing strata. What kind of question do you have? Youre probably going to be fairly hard pressed to find out what is that deep in that area as we only do soils borings for buildings and buildings big enough to need a foundation that deep arent built on the water here in Texas.

Waterguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    Baytown
    I know whats there, I drill water wells, but I am looking to see if any research has been done. Such as age or origin. Its called poleo soil, but thats about all I know about it. There are a few very odd and unique attributes that I would like to find information on.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Ill ask one of our geotech engineers this week when I make it into the office. Anything specifically you want to know about it?

Waterguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    Baytown
    Tried calling USGS or a local college geology department?

I have. The USGS did not seem to have time or be the least bit interested. The colleges I have tried to talk to did not have
    anyone the studied this part of the word in any more detail that I have found online.

1slow01Z71

There is a layer of soil at one hundred feet, around the Houston, Galveston, Beaumont, Baytown Corpus Christi area. I would like to know if there have been any studies on the age or origin of this soil.

txgunner00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Leander, Texas
    I have. The USGS did not seem to have time or be the least bit interested. The colleges I have tried to talk to did not have
    anyone the studied this part of the word in any more detail that I have found online.

1slow01Z71

There is a layer of soil at one hundred feet, around the Houston, Galveston, Beaumont, Baytown Corpus Christi area. I would like to know if there have been any studies on the age or origin of this soil.

Have you tried A&M Galveston?

Top Bottom