Target Sports

Are there any FREE outdoor places to shoot around Bell County?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911 Fan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Hill Country
    I know almost all land in Texas is privately owned so this might be a long shot but is there any public or BLM land nearby that is legal to shoot on?
    Guns International

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Much of Texas is privately owned, which is really weird to people from Western states that tend to have gigantic areas of BLM and other land for public use.

But the good news is that it's really inexpensive to belong to a range probably far, far better than anything available back in San Diego. Same for your other hobbies. You'll join a "club" and have access to whatever you want in a much nicer way than wading through piles of trash on BLM land.

1911 Fan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Hill Country
    Not that I know of but Temple Gun Club is only $100 a year to join. May as well be free if you ask me.
    Thanks I will check them out!

There are lots of places to shoot in Bell County.

Oh, wait.... you said "legal" places to shoot.

Yes my neighbors all must have backyard ranges or something...

Yeah downtown Killeen doesn't seem to care one way or the other.

Yes it seemed startling the amount of weekly gunfire here when I first moved in but the neighborhood kids don’t even bother to go inside the house after complaining about it so you start to just get used to it.

Why does it need to be free?

I figured I would see if there were any free places to shoot locally.

Now that I know that there are none I will look at the different ranges in the area.

Probably should have looked into this before deciding to move here. :)

I did but figured everyone would know some secret ranch or have some inside local info on some hidden shooters paradise.

Much of Texas is privately owned, which is really weird to people from Western states that tend to have gigantic areas of BLM and other land for public use.

But the good news is that it's really inexpensive to belong to a range probably far, far better than anything available back in San Diego. Same for your other hobbies. You'll join a "club" and have access to whatever you want in a much nicer way than wading through piles of trash on BLM land.

This makes sense and was kind of what I was thinking Texas would be like. True about SD not having great ranges and the few BLM shooting spots were constantly being trashed by idiots!

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

What’s really weird is when those western states joined the union, they ceded that land to the federal government in exchange for USG absorbing territorial debts.

The same proposal was offered to Texas, which was saddled with public debt. Thankfully, the legislature said **** that noise after having successfully fought a war for the land and kept RoT debts transferred to state debts.

Juggernaut762

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2021
    Belton, TX
    Hello, I know this is a year late almost but I go to One in the Chamber shooting range in Gatesville. Outdoor pistol and rifle range out to 600 yards. It's not free though, $18 for all day shooting or if you're a member it's a little less. Been opened for a year so still fairly quiet there, downside is they're only open on weekends.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Holly Gun Range in Gatesville. Not free though.
    I shoot at Temple Gun Club. Goes to 200 yards with 500 yard matches. For now
    They are trying to get burms up for the 500 yard line.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    Way back in the olden days, the Army made the Sportsman's Range on Fort Hood available to anyone on weekends - for free. I haven't been there in about a hundred years, but they had rifle targets out to 400+ yards, and 25 and 50-yard pistol targets. Anyone know if it is still available?

Top Bottom