Texas SOT

Are the Mossberg 500’s not what people say?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    The only difference to me is the safety locations. I grew up totin an monkey wards 870 copy and work issued the 870 police models. I always bought mossberg or maverick personally.

I don't like switching back and forth usually but my maverick has the safety by the trigger guard. My 590A1 has it in the traditional mossberg position. It was just too heavy a beast so I sold it.

I would say I'm not too excited about a brand new remington 870 basic shotgun. I would say mossberg kills them and even maverick beats them. I just wish the trigger guards were all metal. Although I've never seen one broke.
    Guns International

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    My first shotgun was a 20ga Montgomery Wards Mossberg 500C, complete with the C-Lect choke. Growing up in the mid-west, hunting involved walking out of the woods and into a corn field. Cranking the choke down to Full, and then back tro IC or modified sure was handy. I have since had Poly-Chokes installed on all my shotguns except the doubles.

As for the safeties, I prefer the top tang safety over the crossbolt trigger version. For me, it is much more natural to disengage when bringing up the gun.

Currently have 5 or 6 of them in various configurations from Black powder .50 muzzle loader, to my 18" rifle sighted trunk monkey.

rickt300

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2022
    Texas
    Well I have a Winchester 1300, couple of 870's, one an old Wingmaster and an Express. two Mossbergs, an old 500 in 20 gauge and a 5 year old model 88. Personally I like the Winchester the best, like the safety in front of the trigger guard, by far the smoothest of the bunch with the Wingmaster 2nd. That said my shotguns get put through hell. My 20 gauge Express is presently rusting behind the seat in my truck. The Maverick has proven itself many times to be a tough reliable shotgun. Wait I forgot I just bought a 12 gauge Express slug gun that I used to hunt feral hogs in north Texas. Shoots great with it's rifled barrel. From new that one needed some work to get it reliable. The one that only gets used for nice days dove hunting is the Wingmaster. The rest know if I am taking one of them out it is going to be tough going somewhere wet and muddy. Lately that job has mostly been done by the Maverick 12 gauge. Right now the Winchester has a red dot mounted on it and it is sighted in for cheap Winchester rifled slugs to use on a nearby COE property hog hunting. The reality of it is I hardly do any bird hunting other than doves and mostly keep the shotguns for self defense and hog hunting.

Guns308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2022
    Abilene
    The mossbergs point better for me than the remington guns. Sold all my remys except a pre model 11, that one points well and is a hoot to shoot, even with the trigger slap! I never shot as well with any 870 or 1187, owned several. I keep a 590a1 and maverick 88 20" for home defense. My go to shotgun is a Beretta al391 field model for birds and clays. The mossbergs are hell on all things closer, strays, coons, snakes, 2 legged varmints.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I've shot thousands of rounds through my AL391 over the years. Never spit the bit one time even.

But that 391 replaced a Mossy 500. It now sits in a new plastic stock due to decades of abuse. And I couldnt tell you last time I shot it, but my dad got it in the mid 70s. I've killed thousands of critters with it, from dove, quail, rabbits and other non-edible stuff. Since I got the 391 in 1997, its been shot less than 10 times. But my son will own it one day.

The 500 is a reliable beast, that takes abuse like a crack head.

Last edited:

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    I have so far owned 2 maverick 88’s.
    I have the 18.5 security model. It’s so bare bones and a hoot to shoot. You literally can’t screw it up, just load, pump and bang. And it can be bought for 200$ or less anywhere.
    They are great shotguns

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    I have so far owned 2 maverick 88’s.
    I have the 18.5 security model. It’s so bare bones and a hoot to shoot. You literally can’t screw it up, just load, pump and bang. And it can be bought for 200$ or less anywhere.
    And the Maverick’s are assembled in Texas.

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    There is a good 500 round torture test review on YouTube. The maverick passed n spades with no problems.

The “cheap” Maverick 88’s are great shotguns. Probably the best value, and more reliable than Turkish ones.

When I joined the Army in the late 80’s they had Rem 870’s and Moss 590’s, when I became a police officer we had Rem 870’s, when I went to war I had a Moss 590. I own 870’s, 590’s and others. Mossberg’s are what I trust my life with, over Rem 870’s that jam when short stroked and are hard to clear.

safestuffer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2023
    Washington state
    500's are great guns. I've only owned one, briefly, but would gladly own another one if one came along at a good price. I just have no need for more than one shotgun.
    I own a ton of guns, and one shotgun, lol.

Skeezix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2023
    Houston
    Wondering if anyone has spent time with both an 870 police and a 590A1?

Both seems to be military grade, but would like thoughts between the two.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

I think Mossberg has maintained better QC throughout the years

Mossberg's controls are ambi, and more natural in my opinion. Mossbergs are easier to load, as the 870's carrier can chew up your thumb

Mossberg is easier to keep running longer as the end user. You won't have any trouble trying to fix a bad ejector on a Mossberg.

Mossbergs rattle a lot more than 870's, Remingtons tend to be smoother, provided it's not caked in rust. Mossbergs in my experience tend to do better in sand and mud.

I love the heavy barrel 590a1's, but they won't point or swing as well as an 870, or regular 590.

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX

I spent 22 years in the Army with Mossberg 590’s for the LA Riots to 590A1’s in Iraq. We had 870’s from Panama and for jungle ops, but did not use them (old worn out Vietnam shotguns with folding stocks, 5 shots, no bayonet lugs).

I spent 15 years as a Police Officer with 14” and 18” 870’s.

I own Mossberg 500’s, 590’s and a 590A1, along with 870’s.

Mossberg’s I feel are more reliable, jam less, and can handle about anything you can feed it.
    The Remington’s tend to jam more, and can be more finicky to ammo.

Remington has had a number of changes over the years to make them better. The best feature Remington has is a steel receiver. The weak point was their extractors (and they used to have a single action bar, and the loader could cause jams if not newer with cutout for flex of shells).

For me the safety location and style of butstock makes a huge difference. 590’s are great with traditional stocks, 870’s are great with a pistol grip stick.

My .02 based on my experience as a user and owner of numerous versions of each.

Top Bottom