APOD Firearms

Are DPS license offices and local tax offices open for business?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Go online and make appointment for DL.
    Be dang sure to bring a birth certificate, they are even required for a renewal now and it can’t be a copy.
    My wife went through this last week, we had a heads up from a friend on bringing the Birth certificate, sheese, she has had a dl for 40 years.
    Sure enough they were turning people away if they did not have one, and making them get another appointment.
    They scan the bc into the system, good ole big brother.
    Probably to try to keep illegals from getting license.
    Also if you will be in a big city the line is shorter at small outlying communitites.
    DK Firearms

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I'm curious why you specify "unexpired". This is from the link you provided:

View attachment 220270

I think that page is like a decision flow chart.

DL-32 Rev. 01/19/20181 What to bring with you when you are renewing a Texas Driver License or Identification Card To renew a non-commercial Texas driver license (DL) or identification card (ID) at your local driver license office, you must bring in the following documentation: 1.Application for Renewal2.Proof of U.S. Citizenship (if you have not previously provided proof), or3.Updated Evidence of Lawful Presence4.Proof of Identity, and5.Proof of Social Security NumberAdditionally, you will be required to pay an issuance fee. If you are under the age of 18, you will have additional requirements which may be found here: http://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/ApplyforLicense.htmThis checklist will help you identify what documents in each section you will need to bring to your local driver license office so that you may renew your DL or ID. Follow the directions listed for each section, and check the appropriate document(s ) y ou have that you can bring with you. Upon completing all sections, gather the documents you have checked and bring them to your local driver license office to begin the renewal process. If you would like to get in-line at your local driver license office prior to your arrival, simply go to our website and check in (not available at all locations): http://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/Section

1. Proof of Identity A.Acceptable Identification Document List. Documents must be original or a copy certified by the issuing agency. No photocopies are accepted. Check one document you have from this section. This will be your proof of identity.

☐Texas DL or ID within two years of expiration

☐Unexpired
    US passport book or passport card

☐US Citizenship Certificate or Certificate of Naturalization with identifiable photo (N-550, N-560, N-561, N-570, or N-578)

☐Unexpired US military photo ID card for active duty, reserve, or retired personne

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Always remember we have no state income tax here Therefore every single tiny part of Texas government is designed to either get some money from you or insure some other tiny part does not get some of your money. And they will charge you for that. Either way, you will pay.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Always remember we have no state income tax here Therefore every single tiny part of Texas government is designed to either get some money from you or insure some other tiny part does not get some of your money. And they will charge you for that. Either way, you will pay.

Oregon has state income tax, we have voted down sales taxes a dozen times, but they implemented special sales taxes anyway - instead of a general sales tax, the bastards just started adding sales taxes in individual circumstances, plus a 1% gross receipts tax on all businesses - a government hoovering up my money is nothing new. They have a "luxury" (sales) tax on new vehicles and used vehicles 5 years old and newer. We don't have safety inspections, but if you live in a metro area, you have to have your vehicle "emissions checked" at a state facility to the tune of $21 + the cost of registration. 24.5% of my gross income goes to income taxes alone right now.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    In Texas they check emissions year round at freeway on-ramps. They will let you know if you don't pass smoke too much or play music too loud. Just joking they just say they are checking for too much smoke only.
    Is it still against the law to pump your own gas in Oregon?
    Oregon voted in the government the majority wanted and still want. Oregon and Washington were great in the 70s. On their way down the dimocrap slope for sure but still nice.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    In Texas they check emissions year round at freeway on-ramps. They will let you know if you don't pass smoke too much or play music too loud. Just joking they just say they are checking for too much smoke only.
    Is it still against the law to pump your own gas in Oregon?
    Oregon voted in the government the majority wanted and still want. Oregon and Washington were great in the 70s. On their way down the dimocrap slope for sure but still nice.

Yeah, Oregon is still mostly no-go for pump your own. We got a state wide taste of pump your own thanks to COVID, because the logic was if 5,000 individuals finger **** the pump, you're less likely to spread the bug than the one fatass half tarded pump jockey who's all pissed off that you interrupted their Instagram browsing. It was pretty epic for the memes. That only lasted till June 15th. Now we're back to "Ermagerd you can't do that!" - except if you drive a Diesel, you can pump your own diesel all day, every day, everywhere in the state.

In Rural oregon, you can pump your own all day, BUT you have to be in a county with less than 10,000 residents. In the more populous counties, but not in the metro areas, you can pump your own between 6PM and 6AM.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Yeah, Oregon is still mostly no-go for pump your own. We got a state wide taste of pump your own thanks to COVID, because the logic was if 5,000 individuals finger **** the pump, you're less likely to spread the bug than the one fatass half tarded pump jockey who's all pissed off that you interrupted their Instagram browsing. It was pretty epic for the memes. That only lasted till June 15th. Now we're back to "Ermagerd you can't do that!" - except if you drive a Diesel, you can pump your own diesel all day, every day, everywhere in the state.

In Rural oregon, you can pump your own all day, BUT you have to be in a county with less than 10,000 residents. In the more populous counties, but not in the metro areas, you can pump your own between 6PM and 6AM.
    Probably take 10k residents to find one half tarded pump jockey. Every rural person would have to drive to Portland to find suitable gas station attendants.
    You will do well among us. welcome

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Probably take 10k residents to find one half tarded pump jockey. Every rural person would have to drive to Portland to find suitable gas station attendants.
    You will do well among us. welcome

I spent most of my adulthood as a commercial driver - that's the other work-around. If you have a card-lock account (theoretically for businesses, government agencies, and non-profits) you pump your own. The commercial stations don't have attendants. Drives me batty sitting in line because 2 people are manning 20 pumps, there's always one half-wit sitting near the pumps smoking and looking at their phone, and one dude hating life in the little hut running a cash register. Doesn't seem to matter if its a big chain gas station, or one affiliated with the grocery stations. The only gas station where the service is good is Costco. Each island has at least one dedicated pump jockey, sometimes two. Maybe its because they get paid far better than most gas jockies - Costco IIRC starts at $15 an hour locally and goes up from there, state minimum wage is scaled (because screw equal protection under the law?) - Portland's current wage is 13.25, outside the portland area its $12, and in rural counties its $11.50 - almost all the gas stations pay local minimum wage.

The excuse NOT to go pump your own isn't even safety anymore, its literally the only time Democrats in this state give two shits about jobs - because if we go pump your own, the pump jockeys all get fired.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    When I moved (back) to TX after 15 years in GA I tried to understand car registration. Apparently it is not really required on your car you bring in by TX but you won't be able to convince your auto insurance company to cover it if not registered in TX. Probably difficult to sell a car in TX registered in another state.

Current tax office policy in San Antonio is wait outside in line, one or two customers inside at a time. The good news is there are private company offices around town that can handle all the things the tax folks can. You will pay $25 extra and be glad to do it ! These offices are popular with commercial vehicles and trucks which have all kinds of special issues.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    When I moved (back) to TX after 15 years in GA I tried to understand car registration. Apparently it is not really required on your car you bring in by TX but you won't be able to convince your auto insurance company to cover it if not registered in TX. Probably difficult to sell a car in TX registered in another state.

Current tax office policy in San Antonio is wait outside in line, one or two customers inside at a time. The good news is there are private company offices around town that can handle all the things the tax folks can. You will pay $25 extra and be glad to do it ! These offices are popular with commercial vehicles and trucks which have all kinds of special issues.

If I have 90 days to register, I'm not in a huge hurry to change the plates to TX - but I do want to get a TX DL so I can hurry up and get a LTC. I'm sure the out of state plates will pique the eyebrows of the local and state cops, but ohwell. My pop got a chippy ticket not long after moving to TX, he had Oregon plates too. Out of state plates usually mean easy money, and they stand out like a sore thumb.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    FWIW, I just made an in-office appointment to renew TX DL (@ Georgetown) & the earliest available time slot was mid October - 3 months down the line.

Top Bottom