• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I have a DPMS .308 and am planning to change the trigger out. I looked at the AR-Gold trigger, they show 2 different trigger packs, one for .308 and another for standard 5.56. I thought the trigger packs were completely interchangeable between AR-15/AR-10 rifles.....am I wrong? I realize Colt has larger o.d. pin/pins, but other than that, I thought you could take an AR-155 trigger system and put it in an AR-10.

So,
    1. Can anyone confirm the DPMS AR-10/15 interchangeability?
    2. Suggestions for a good trigger that I can get this week? It has to be in stock somewhere. I was going to go with the AR-Gold, but they are backordered and nobody had one. I looked at the Geissele, pricey. I also looked the Jard 2#
    3. Has anyone done the 15 minute AR trigger job and have an opinion? 15 Minute Practical Trigger Job for the AR-15
    Gun Zone Deals

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    1. Can anyone confirm the DPMS AR-10/15 interchangeability?

They do not interchange, the hammer and sear(I believe) are different

2. Suggestions for a good trigger that I can get this week? It has to be in stock somewhere. I was going to go with the AR-Gold, but they are backordered and nobody had one. I looked at the Geissele, pricey. I also looked the Jard 2#

DONT GET A SINGLE STAGE!!!!!!!

The 2 stage is probably fine. I've got a single stage 1.5#. I've got it in a lower and have yet to match it to an upper, but the creep is loooooooooooong. No idea when it's going to break, it just breaks. Other than that, it feels great with a bit of fitting. Smooth the area where the spring rubs to keep it from being gritty and you might have to file the area where the sear hits the safety. Check Midway Usa and see what they have in stock. If you order today, it should be here by Wednesday or Thursday.

3. Has anyone done the 15 minute AR trigger job and have an opinion?

Nope. You'd be better off getting a match trigger.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Not a fix you can get today but worth checking into; www.triggerwork.net Guys on the big AR boards swear by it. Buying the 4# FCG and if it's all it's supposed to be I will send in the stock FCG for the 3# work.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I don't know if they will be available locally either, but I hear Jewel makes very good, easy to replace triggers for them also.

AFpilot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Sheppard AFB
    On the AR-15 trigger replacements-- I have installed Jewel, LMT, and RRA two-stage triggers and can tell you that any of them will be a vast improvement to your standard 5 lb factory trigger. For the money, RRA is the way to go, IMO. If you want to spend a little more, Jewels are really nice since they are adjustable; however, they are much more difficult to install than a RRA or LMT. A RRA 2 stage is essentially a 5 minute drop in job, but a Jewel is not.

On the other hand, if you want a decent 3.5 pound trigger pull for $10, go with a JP spring kit from Midway JP Enterprises Trigger Spring Kit AR-15 3-1/2 lb Reduced Power - MidwayUSA. These are nice for range shooting and most applications, but not reccommended if you are depending upon your rifle for your life as the reduced tension can cause reliability problems firing some military rounds.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    True, but I don't think he has a defensive AR, sounds like a precision rifle. That's what my jard goes into.

That is correct, it's not used as a defensive AR. It only defends me from hogs at medium distances. You guys have me thinking RRA, Jard or Jewel. I want something easy to install without too much tweeking involved. I have also checked out Triggerwork.net, but don't want to wait. I'm going hog hunting the last weekend of this month and would like to have the trigger in by then.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    If you spend money on a good single stage trigger and install it properly they work great. My JP has absolutely no creep, it breaks clean, crisp, light, and has less reset than a 2 stage trigger. If you're looking for precision you want a 2 stage, for quick and rapid fire shots a good single stage.

AR Gold triggers are kind of in between the 2 types. It has a lighter takeup than a 2 stage.
    Good discussion about it here from people that know what they are talking about.
    What's up with the ARGold trigger? - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I would check out the Geissele SSA Trigger. It is a rock solid two stage combat trigger IMHO.

Ditto. I've talked to some very well-informed people, and the Geissele SSA Combat trigger (not adjustable) is IMO probably about the best for a defensive weapon. It's what I'll be going with eventually. Supposedly the service life far exceeds most of the other ones out there.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Geissele's triggers are very nice. I'd even use them on a precision gun as they have a crisp break. The standard 5# trigger is good enough for fast firing. The OEM trigger has a positive reset and decent feel, it's just not a one hole precision trigger.

I've shot RRA's 2-Stage and I liked it also.

Then again, on AR's and other battle rifles, I prefer a 3 - 5# trigger pull with no creep and a positive reset. On a bolt-rifle I want it to be no more than 2# in pull weight with ABSOLUTELY no creep.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    The single stage jard 1.5# that I've been complaining about seems to have fixed itself... Last night, doing a function check on the new rifle, I gave it a dry fire. While it does have that long (yet very light) creep, it now has what feels like a heavier stage where it breaks. I'll check it out tomorrow and post a range report on the rifle. Maybe I'll like this trigger after all.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    For a defensive AR, a single stage is not acceptable IMO. I would ONLY use a 2 stage.

Not sure I understand why a single stage trigger is not good on a defensive AR. unless I am missing something aren't the standard FCG's on AR's single stage? Or do you mean a light weight single stage trigger.

I have a Chip McCormick match trigger on my SPR clone that is very sweet. Single stage at 3.5# and a good clean break.

You may want to see if there is a cop shop around where you live. GT Distributors here in Austin has both McCormick and Timeney triggers. You may get lucky.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    You can also send it to Bill Springfield at www.triggerwork.net
    He just did my HK91 trigger this week and previously did my XCR trigger.
    The work is great, fast and very reasonable in price.
    He does ll kinds of triggers including AR's.
    Worth a look for sure.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    I've had a great deal of luck with Timeney triggers. I use a 3.5 in my accurate AR and a 4.5 in my SBR. Zero creep and very nice reset. Easy install as well.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I have a Jewel two stage match trigger in one of my Rock River ARs. It is a vast improve over the stock single stage trigger that came with the rifle. My other RRA rifles have the RRA two stage match trigger. This RRA two stage trigger is a fine trigger also and they sell for much less. There are several aftermarket triggers out there. I especially like the drop in triggers. Check with a local gunsmith to see what they recommend. I am sure they see many different types of triggers.

Top Bottom