• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    You sure? I can see a weak hammer from a backwards spring, but I don't see how it can affect the geometry of the hammer and disconnector.
    Yeah you'll get trigger pins walking out and light strikes, but you aren't going to get a run away gun.
    Hurley's Gold

rpwilson

Single Action Army Activist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Richmond
    You sure? I can see a weak hammer from a backwards spring, but I don't see how it can affect the geometry of the hammer and disconnector.
    I found this out on an AR i put together, since the hammer and sear wont align correctly with the spring backwards. I was very confused for a few seconds playing with the lower on why the hammer wasnt engaging but everything else seemed ok and stuff when together fine otherwise

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Well I did not want to call out anybody but @Orbie you outed yoself. Anyway the pin holding f the trigger in place had come out a bit. Just enough that the detent in the pin did not engage the spring. As per my buddy, 10+ years on Army shoot team, the pin had not been inserted far enough the said this wax’s common occurrence and nothing to do with a polymer lower

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Well I did not want to call out anybody but @Orbie you outed yoself. Anyway the pin holding f the trigger in place had come out a bit. Just enough that the detent in the pin did not engage the spring. As per my buddy, 10+ years on Army shoot team, the pin had not been inserted far enough the said this wax’s common occurrence and nothing to do with a polymer lower
    There's no detent holding in the trigger pin, its held in place by one (or both, depending on the pin) of the struts of the hammer spring resting in a groove cut in the pin.

The trigger pin is always inserted first, so it's incredibly hard to have it out far enough to where the hammer spring is not retaining it, unless the spring is backwards, or has been inserted under the trigger pin.

Is it possible to get pictures of the lower? One of the inside of the FCG pocket, and right and left side showing the trigger and hammer pins?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...overlooking something so simple.
    I once summarized the stats on equipment (computers, a/v equipment, etc.) failures at a large conference. This was a very short summary intended for inclusion as a paragraph or less in some exec's report.

Of several hundred incidents, the single most common root cause (47% iirc) for failure was "Device not plugged in and/or turned on."

Moral? Don't beat yourself up. Lots of people overlook the basics.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    There's no detent holding in the trigger pin, its held in place by one (or both, depending on the pin) of the struts of the hammer spring resting in a groove cut in the pin.

The trigger pin is always inserted first, so it's incredibly hard to have it out far enough to where the hammer spring is not retaining it, unless the spring is backwards, or has been inserted under the trigger pin.

Is it possible to get pictures of the lower? One of the inside of the FCG pocket, and right and left side showing the trigger and hammer pins?
    What I called a detent is the groove cut in the pin as you describe. Detent is the term used by my friend who is more knowledgeable on this subject than I can ever hope to be. As per his words, everything else is in the right place. Test fired 25 rounds with no mishaps. Not sure pictures will solve anything.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio

I appreciate that but I was not going to hide in the shadows and pretend I didn’t know it was me. Nobody is perfect and we have to learn from our mistakes. Unfortunately, I made a mistake on something that was no longer in my possession.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I still put the damn hammer spring in upsidebackwards half the time and I've done it dozens of times and still keep step by step instructions infront of me every time.

Trust me, there are bigger things in life.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Axeually that is. It the issue. Please read all my responses
    He is right though. Polymer lowers are going to give you issues eventually. From snapping in half, to pin holes egging out and general poor feel on the trigger and safety, to turning into frag grenades if the gun KB's...

Andersons are cheap and will be the single best upgrade he could do to that gun.

Top Bottom